Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

So my colonoscopy is tomorrow.
Been on restricted diet last two days and now fluids only since lunchtime.
Have my (split dose) drink in an hour and again at 7am.
My toilet and I have a date tonight!

I had one of those (and an endoscopy) just under 2 years ago. Thankfully nothing found apart from a medium sized hiatus hernia, and some non-bleeding internal haemorrhoids. The prep is easily the crappiest part of the whole ordeal.

Last edited:
I turn 46 in a couple of weeks and I've no idea how that happened. My folks had two allegedly adult sons when they were my age and were about to get divorced.

I'll be 45 in September, and likewise am wondering where the smeg my life went.

Sore knees. Both have been really sore the past month, especially in the morning and at evenings. Don't know why or what I have done. Never had knee issues before. Only thing I reckon it could be is put on 2-3 kgs the last few months but I've been heavier before. Just getting older I guess.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Watched The Simpson's episode "Lisa's Wedding". Set in the future of... 9 years ago.

screen-shot-2011-11-22-at-6-03-13-pm.png

Sore knees. Both have been really sore the past month, especially in the morning and at evenings. Don't know why or what I have done. Never had knee issues before. Only thing I reckon it could be is put on 2-3 kgs the last few months but I've been heavier before. Just getting older I guess.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
I got the return of something I haven't had since I was about 15. For the first time in over 30 years, my right knee started just buckling for no reason again. Get pain in the left these days too, have done since my early 30s.

I still think of 1970s cars as being the sort of thing that poor students buy before they conk out and die.

In reality poor students really buy cheap cars from the 90s and 00s and cars from the 70s are bought and sold only by motoring enthusiasts.

I've noticed the VY commodore - BA falcon now seems to be the budget new bogan driver car of choice before they inevitably get more income and move to a 4x4.

Growing up that was the VK or VN models.

Strangely I think the VL in between has always had a strong enthusiast following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you see photos of friends on Facebook you grew up with and think, "* they look old". Then realise you're the same age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up with older cousins who were born in the 70s. I see them on social media from time to time and they are getting closer to 50 than 40. Aunties and uncles who I think of as such are now getting to the age my grandparents were when they were around. As a kid someone being in their 70s seemed like they were 150, but then when I was 18 I probably thought 34 year olds drove Volvo station wagons and built model train sets or something.

I turn 46 in a couple of weeks and I've no idea how that happened. My folks had two allegedly adult sons when they were my age and were about to get divorced.
46 next month. Already closer to 50 then 40, but having the number tick over to closer still seems surreal.

I can still fit everything I could at 18, so my default mental image of myself is of around 19-20. I look in the mirror and see a head that’s nowhere near looking that and still often wonder where the hell the last 25 years went.

46 next month. Already closer to 50 then 40, but having the number tick over to closer still seems surreal.

I can still fit everything I could at 18, so my default mental image of myself is of around 19-20. I look in the mirror and see a head that’s nowhere near looking that and still often wonder where the hell the last 25 years went.
That 90s thread got me thinking. Next year it will be 30 years since it ticked over to 1990. In 1990 30 years ago was 1960.

That 90s thread got me thinking. Next year it will be 30 years since it ticked over to 1990. In 1990 30 years ago was 1960.

It didn't make me feel old as such but I got a kick out of the Berlin Wall having been down for longer than it was up a couple of years ago.

A 30 year old car will soon be a 1990 model. I still think of a 30 year old car as something from the 70s.

As a ‘73er I’d consider myself more an 80’s kid. Stranger Things has been 80’s crack for me, even if set in the US. 2015 was an interesting one due to Back to the future. I remember seeing the first in the 80’s and thinking 30 years might as well as have been 130. Now 30 years ago seems not that far away. Although in the 80’s we had home PC’s, VCR’s etc., so although technology has improved massively I don’t think it’s as much completely new as there was for ‘The Joneses’ as 1955-1985.

I’m sure 90’s kids would disagree, but I think 80’s was the last decade that really had a distinctive feel. I’m not saying 80’s was the only decade for that, the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s also had a particular feel to them from all appearances. Plenty of good music, shows, movies etc 90’s onwards, but I don’t think so ‘pigeon holed’ for a feel. This is neither inherently good or bad.

As a ‘73er I’d consider myself more an 80’s kid. Stranger Things has been 80’s crack for me, even if set in the US. 2015 was an interesting one due to Back to the future. I remember seeing the first in the 80’s and thinking 30 years might as well as have been 130. Now 30 years ago seems not that far away. Although in the 80’s we had home PC’s, VCR’s etc., so although technology has improved massively I don’t think it’s as much completely new as there was for ‘The Joneses’ as 1955-1985.

I’m sure 90’s kids would disagree, but I think 80’s was the last decade that really had a distinctive feel. I’m not saying 80’s was the only decade for that, the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s also had a particular feel to them from all appearances. Plenty of good music, shows, movies etc 90’s onwards, but I don’t think so ‘pigeon holed’ for a feel. This is neither inherently good or bad.
The 90s had an anything is possible feel to it. The fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of Apartheid at the end of the 80s was pretty exciting, it gave a real sense of hope. I remember watching the Barcelona Olympics with all these new countries and it really rammed home what had been going on. *cue the Scorpions* I'd argue the 90s ended in September 2001.

The 90s had an anything is possible feel to it. The fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of Apartheid at the end of the 80s was pretty exciting, it gave a real sense of hope. I remember watching the Barcelona Olympics with all these new countries and it really rammed home what had been going on. *cue the Scorpions* I'd argue the 90s ended in September 2001.

Read pieces by people old enough to remember it all as adults saying between late 80s and 2001 it felt like liberal democracy/capitalism/blah blah etc had 'won history' and life would go on that way forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back