Review Another wasted season

Remove this Banner Ad

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we talk about who is/should be on the chopping block, but unless you either have a ready made replacement, or a certain trade available, it is fraught with risk. Relying on being able to draft an AFL ready 18 year old is not a viable strategy imo. TT is the first one we have done that with that I can remember.

Turner
McDonald
Hrovat
Garner
Atley
Thompson (retired)
Wright (retired)

They are my top five that I would look at shipping out. None of them have much if any currency I am sorry to say.

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Every year for the last since we made finals in 2012 I have made a bet with my mates north will finish top 4. This year they took pity and told me not to pay. As a young father I think they feel guilty. I will put the same bet back on for 2020. It’s what we do. There aren’t many of us but those of us who barrack for this team are as passionate and one eyed as any other club supporters. It’s why we survived. It’s why we will continue to survive. Premierships are great. Being able to go watch the boys every second week in Melbourne that’s even greater

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also, if we don't learn how to win on the road then we are going to keep wasting seasons.
Without Looking our away records must be one of the worst going around.

roojor

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We play well at Marvel it is a strange one because they play in terrible conditions in Hobart but do well. This year we had a difficult draw and injuries which hurt but no excuse for some of the games we dished up.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some decisions need to be made. We can't put up with the same output from Turner, Wood, and Garner. The 10-15 touches and probably a goal isn't enough. Limited x-factor there or enough for the opposition to be worried. When they aren't worried we see players like Stewart and co. peel off and either double team Brown or go for the ball themselves. They do it without a care in the world because even if it hits the deck there isn't enough chaos at the drop of the ball. Larkey and Zurhaar are young so the inconsistency is fine. The other 3 are a concern. Move Turner down back already.

Ziebell...The hack kick forward. Was he dropped on his head as a child or something? How the bloody hell has it taken so long to get it through his head...don't do it especially when Brown is 1 v 3 :drunk:

I'm not worried about Simpkin. He had a good patch there to show he has what it takes. I'm not worried about Jed or Cunnington. I'm not worried about LDU - his game will come. I'm disappointed in Ahern's year. I thought he would excel in 2019 but there is more than enough there.

Thompson leaving is big. I have faith in Durdin to step up. I'm a little worried about McKay but I think it'll click for him. EVW needs some luck on the injury front because I think the addition of him takes a lot of pressure off of Tarrant and Durdin in 2020. I like Marley, Atley, and Pittard down back - they are locks and can stop the quick types.

The big difference for me is the hurt factor a the will to win. We can go from ordinary to one of the best teams in the comp very quickly. The gulf is too big. Find that under shaw and get some consistency in some of the up and comers and we'll be fine.

North will be premiers in 2020.

Some decisions need to be made. We can't put up with the same output from Turner, Wood, and Garner. The 10-15 touches and probably a goal isn't enough. Limited x-factor there or enough for the opposition to be worried. When they aren't worried we see players like Stewart and co. peel off and either double team Brown or go for the ball themselves. They do it without a care in the world because even if it hits the deck there isn't enough chaos at the drop of the ball. Larkey and Zurhaar are young so the inconsistency is fine. The other 3 are a concern. Move Turner down back already.

Don't think we need Turner down back. Fast running out of time to find a role IMO.

Agree re: that output but the forward line overall has done well this year with break even supply.

I'm not worried about Simpkin. He had a good patch there to show he has what it takes. I'm not worried about Jed or Cunnington. I'm not worried about LDU - his game will come. I'm disappointed in Ahern's year. I thought he would excel in 2019 but there is more than enough there.

Simpkin has built a solid year and a baby in midfield terms as is LDU. We still need more in there including Thomas. We could use 2 of TT - one at CHF & one in the middle.

Thompson leaving is big. I have faith in Durdin to step up. I'm a little worried about McKay but I think it'll click for him. EVW needs some luck on the injury front because I think the addition of him takes a lot of pressure off of Tarrant and Durdin in 2020. I like Marley, Atley, and Pittard down back - they are locks and can stop the quick types.

EVW can play Thompson's attacking role while still locking down but there are now big question marks on his durability IMO. I think our backline has been pretty heroic this year overall but there are still question marks on disposal for a few of them.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we talk about who is/should be on the chopping block, but unless you either have a ready made replacement, or a certain trade available, it is fraught with risk. Relying on being able to draft an AFL ready 18 year old is not a viable strategy imo. TT is the first one we have done that with that I can remember.

Turner
McDonald
Hrovat
Garner
Atley
Thompson (retired)
Wright (retired)

They are my top five that I would look at shipping out. None of them have much if any currency I am sorry to say.
Hrovrat is out of contract will go
McDonald is safe because of his dad and contracted
Turner contracted
Atley will get nothing much for
Him
Garner is a wasted talent won't get nothing for him .
You look at Wood for trade but will be safe and contracted.
Still think Hosie will be used with maybe Durmont in a trade back to SA.

Turner
McDonald
Hrovat
Garner
Atley
Thompson (retired)
Wright (retired)

FWIW I reckon we could easily double that list without thinking too hard. Not saying all of them need to go. Just that we could easily find 6-7 out of 15 or so that we could move and not cause major issues to the team in the mid to long term. All about balance.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im hopeful that the decision makers do not rest on their laurels.....whilst some results and the efforts were pleasing there is a gulf between North and the top 4.......Thompson retiring now for mine is a sign the club is preparing for an aggressive trade period.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Ziebell...The hack kick forward. Was he dropped on his head as a child or something? How the bloody hell has it taken so long to get it through his head...don't do it especially when Brown is 1 v 3 :drunk:

The big difference for me is the hurt factor a the will to win. We can go from ordinary to one of the best teams in the comp very quickly. The gulf is too big. Find that under shaw and get some consistency in some of the up and comers and we'll be fine.

North will be premiers in 2020.

Agree with most you speak

on Wood, I have always doubted he would make it, just seemed a bit soft and lacking in belief, but of the players to excel under Shaw he would be my number 1 he has kicked on since Shaw has come in, I'd be trusting him for a big pre-season and to be even better in 2020.
Garner is another EVW, I just haven't seen enough of him to make a call.

I am reasonably happy with the state of the list, barring the continual long term injury list (Daw, BJ, EVW, Walker, Hall, Tyson, and Garner in the past) and the recruitment of Hall and Tyson, I think Hrovat and Watson have to join Scottie and Sammy.

I would love to see Hosie play this week and for goodness sake get Durdin back in the 22,

it aint a wasted year, just part of the journey.

Turner contracted
Him
So you're saying we would get something for him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Turner contracted
Him

Trent is signed up until the end of 2021.
I reckon they love him. Think he’s part of the future plans.
Just because he’s from Adelaide doesn’t mean he wants to go back there.

We are good at drafting players that fill roles and give depth to the list. We suck at drafting elite or A grade talent. TT is the first for a while and that is only because we had to pick him.

Until we have a recruiting department that understands list building we will continue to be a patchwork quilt of a list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Feels like almost the exact opposite to me. While Durdin needs to keep progressing and McKay has had a rough year with injury and illness, I don’t think we’ve outright ballsed up any of our recent first rounders. I look at those drafts and don’t see any players around our picks that we passed on who would improve our best 22 much right now.

And we’ve had some good results at the back end of the ND and in the rookie draft - Larkey, Slammin' Cam, Preuss, Murphy, Mountford (should still be on the list).

It’s the middle picks - rounds 2 and 3 - that we’ve made a complete 💩 🥪 out of. Since Dumont and Brown we’ve seen the Queensland kids, Clarke, Hibberd, Nielsen all bomb out. EVW is the only 2nd rounder between Dumont and Walker still on the list.

I'm just putting it out here, McKay is no cert to be at North in 2020!

I agree
Having spoken to his brother earlier this year, he was extremely upset at lack of opportunity in 2018
This year things haven’t panned out for him again
Would not surprise me in the least if he requested a trade
If so, let’s start talking to the Bulldogs
Player swap perhaps ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are good at drafting players that fill roles and give depth to the list. We suck at drafting elite or A grade talent. TT is the first for a while and that is only because we had to pick him.

Until we have a recruiting department that understands list building we will continue to be a patchwork quilt of a list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree - just look at the top picks we have had - they just haven't become elite players since Wellsy all those years ago. We say we are drafting 'best available' but often the draft pick ends up being because we lack something or we are filling holes as you say. Its always easy in hindsight but just a couple of different picks and you could see this team in alot better position than it is now.

I am more confident that we will make the right decisions with Rawlings in charge - our Football dept has looked second rate for many years now and its been given a huge much needed shake up.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree
Having spoken to his brother earlier this year, he was extremely upset at lack of opportunity in 2018
This year things haven’t panned out for him again
Would not surprise me in the least if he requested a trade
If so, let’s start talking to the Bulldogs
Player swap perhaps ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lack of opportunity or lack of development?

His brother has done alright

chrissy

All Australian
Jun 24, 2009
tarneit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool , Melbourne Victory
Looks like we will be hitting the draft hard for some KPD

Wouldn't be shattered by that , get the best pick we can for him (which won't be much ) and move on . I mentioned it ages ago he doesn't want it enough and was heavily pressured to play TAC by others when he was happy to walk away , these things are the 1% difference to being a contributor and a list clogger . I wish he was better but its just not going to be .

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I am aware that the midfield issues don't help them, but the days of Mason, Taylor & Kayne being "cameo" players is growing very thin.

Back