Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty obvious. He thinks there is no bias.

Gary Lyon has Yeo as the best player in the comp. Several others in the Vic Media have the WCE as premiership favourites, bookies equal premiership favourites.

He has a point. Anyway every state will always have some bias towards their own, WA included obviously. It's just the way it is.
Brilliant! It's only taken them a year to catch on then.

Tell us all how the Western Australian media behave.

Here are 2 examples that stuck in my head when i lived in Perth.

"Glenndenning wins game for North Melbourne."

"Western Australia wins test."
But we're not talking about my WA media, or your Victorian media.

We're talking about our national media that has it's head up your Victorian backside.

The media pander to their audience which they should. If you support a Vic club and live in WA then you will find out little about your club in the West Australian newspaper.
In Victoria I would expect to see very little about the Eagles in the Herald Sun.

It is when finals come around where it should change a little, I got a Herald Sun on GF day last year in Melbourne and it was pretty much all Collingwood, probably about a 10-1 article difference and this was the GF. That surprised me a little.
But when all is said and done if you want info on your club then it’s not hard to find these days, and the Herald Sun or the Age has no more requirement to be more national than the West Australian in WA.

In fairness would you know, not a personal challenge, as a Victorian would you recognise it?
Take the GF decision extending it to 2057, it was waived through, no scrutiny of a sweetheart deal behind closed doors, only the encumbent right holders invited. Clearly it was a great deal for the State of Victoria,but the lack of scrutiny should have any fan of the game questioning why exclude the other parties who had expressed interest.

not quite so accurate,

the Docklands 3 ( Dogs, North, Saints ) finally got a stadium deal( end 2017) that they could make money( Saints expected an extra $2m a year from same crowd sizes) and the big clubs received the same renumeration at the MCG ( along with the GF ) despite already being well ahead of those smaller clubs in stadium profitability.

Saints have played 1 home final (Sydney 2011) despite making back to back GF's and prelims before that.

The Bias isn't just Vic clubs, its specific clubs and it comes from the media's insistence that only ex footballers can be on the Telly and only sub standard flag waving gossip mongers can write in the papers, Exept Denis of course. he's as impartial as Eddie........

Are Richmond playing anyone of note?
The Richmond game is going to be a blockbuster and Richmond will have to be on to beat them. But Richmond has so much firepower and gee they play the G well.
Vic media currently going with 'Finals like intensity for Eagles Showdown with Richmond'

The afl it self is massively Vic centric.
Fta games almost always feature at least one Vic side.
Friday night games the same.
All umpires based in victoria
It is not not surprising the media is the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2nd post in this thread nailed it. After West Coast won last year, Channel 7 cut to Buckley in the coach's box. What. A. Joke.

Yeah right, imagine the salt flow from non vic if ch 7 cut to Simpson if wc lost the game. Fair dinkum if that happened then it'd been seen as rubbing salt into the wound.

From any pie supporters view that cut to Buckley was seen as rubbing our noses in it.

At least Perth and Adelaide teams get a mention in most footy journalism, try being a Lions supporter/ex Roy boy living in Melbourne, our club has gone through decades now of ignorant treatment from all media including that in Queensland and not even now that we have been somewhat successful/competitive do we rate any sort of meaningful club/team analysis, just quick blink and it’s over segments always tucked to the back end of every show, out of sight out of mind

At least Perth and Adelaide teams get a mention in most footy journalism, try being a Lions supporter/ex Roy boy living in Melbourne, our club has gone through decades now of ignorant treatment from all media including that in Queensland and not even now that we have been somewhat successful/competitive do we rate any sort of meaningful club/team analysis, just quick blink and it’s over segments always tucked to the back end of every show, out of sight out of mind
I can’t remember a positive HUN article about the Giants in the 6 years I lived there.

It was always, always negative with the same s**t “player exodus” “concessions” ya da ya da ya da.

And a lot of it lead by a high profile media identity president.

Interstate clubs have middle child syndrome. Vic media talks about Vic clubs and WA media talks about WA clubs! Shocking!

you are right, the WA fan follows WA footballers even when playing interstate & especially pre the national comp

Then why did WA fans jump off the wafl and follow a completely new start up club in a foreign comp? Why not snub this vic based comp and stick phat with an already strong and high profile comp (WAFL)?

I can’t remember a positive HUN article about the Giants in the 6 years I lived there.

It was always, always negative with the same s**t “player exodus” “concessions” ya da ya da ya da.

And a lot of it lead by a high profile media identity president.

So it's ONLY negative reporting on the giants, righto. Dismiss any reporting on how good their list is and the fact that the national media including vic based has the giants as a contender for the last 3-4 years.

Then why did WA fans jump off the wafl and follow a completely new start up club in a foreign comp? Why not snub this vic based comp and stick phat with an already strong and high profile comp (WAFL)?

Hit the nail on the head, not all of us as still to this day West Perth mean a hell of a lot more to me than the Eagles but the majority just dropped their club to follow the Eagles.
I will say however the media in Perth stopped talking about the WAFL pretty much overnight and unfortunately if you don’t tell the sheep where to go it will always be hard to get them to go there.

So it's ONLY negative reporting on the giants, righto. Dismiss any reporting on how good their list is and the fact that the national media including vic based has the giants as a contender for the last 3-4 years.
So tipping the team to figure in finals is proving their not biased, the writing / spruiking negatives about the club in voluminous tomes counteracts a few tips?

FMD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back