Autopsy Round 21, 2019: St.Kilda v Fremantle

litterally that is right up there on my bucket list of things to do ... well done on getting to experiance it im sure it will be a moment you will hold dear forever !! especially with it being a win ! sorry i missed the actual toss of the coin so i didnt get to see it but did Sebby pick the winner ??
Away team calls, the coin has the home team logo on one side and an AFL logo on the other. Wouldn't mind betting most captains do what Nat Fyfe did and call AFL, in this case Fyfe was right

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It's pretty well known that the worst thing you can do as a forward is kick it long to the goal-line so it makes it easy for a defender to punch through. The thing that put the mistake on Lonie is he was 40m out and not kicking around a corner... it's criminal to not make the distance from there in that situation and put it to the goal-line.

Unfortunately, Blake suffers from something you see a lot in life: people have a set on him and see everything he does in a bad light. I see the same in workplaces everywhere from managers and it s**ts me no end.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with picking out and bringing up mistakes but so many people get blinded by their own bias against an individual they end up seeing mistakes when they aren't even there while letting things other people do slide. It's pretty cancerous stuff and I hope our coaches can see the bigger picture (I have a feeling from listening to Ratts he is fantastic at this, a really great manager of people).
I have nothing against acres at all. Doubt I’ve wanted him dropped for 3 or 4 years. I wouldn’t care who that was. It’s a basic skill that any person on here could just about do. Most other things on a footy field none of us could do including kicking a goal from 40. I could argue those who rate acres think people are only looking at fault with him. If I was doing that I would have knocked a very ordinary game by him.

It's pretty cancerous stuff and I hope our coaches can see the bigger picture (I have a feeling from listening to Ratts he is fantastic at this, a really great manager of people).

Absolutely.
Just listening to his conference yesterday and from reports of what others have said, it appears he is going to be a coach who is going to accentuate the positive. Even Richo admitted that he went down the negative path too often.

Now Ratts may well have a word to Blake about how he could possibly do better in that situation (and Lonie) but he made damn sure he had something positive to say about him in the presser. I think our players are going to blossom under him and maybe not be so paralysed ( ok a bit of an exaggeration) about not making a mistake.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Absolutely.
Just listening to his conference yesterday and from reports of what others have said, it appears he is going to be a coach who is going to accentuate the positive. Even Richo admitted that he went down the negative path too often.

Now Ratts may well have a word to Blake about how he could possibly do better in that situation (and Lonie) but he made damn sure he had something positive to say about him in the presser. I think our players are going to blossom under him and maybe not be so paralysed ( ok a bit of an exaggeration) about not making a mistake.
You're spot on. I think the same about Ratts and his infectious positivity should contribute to a "releasing of the shackles" from the previous regime... as Gears pointed out "focus on what we can do, not on what we can't." I think it will get better after a pre-season as well.

The thing I remember most from the old regime was the way Marshall was ripped to shreds in the players race for daring to bite off a kick in the centre square and missing a target (instead of blindly kicking it down the line). No "I liked your thinking, you'll hit that kick next time".

I shudder to think Roma was left out of Round 1, it summed up the old regime's mentality perfectly.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I finally gave it to a few idiots behind me that were giving Bruce crap all game about his haircut.

When he slotted that goal I turned around and yelled "great goal haircut. Haircut you star"...
just quietly though... it is an ordinary haircut you hope he didnt pay for it

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
When Matera kicked that goal to put them 2 goals up, I seriously didn't give us a chance. We made scoring look so hard today. Credit to them though, they managed to get two goals in the last 3 minutes and get the win. Josh Bruce, that was a big moment for him because his kicking has been all over the place the last few years. He was great today, toiled hard and got the reward of the match winner.

A lot to like in the young guys, but I just want to start with Hannebery. He was outstanding today, if that is what he can do in his first game for a month or more, if we can get him right then he will be amazing for us. He was really inspiring, tackled hard, great precision kicking and demanded the ball at crucial times when the backs were under pressure.

Another old head that deserves a shout out is Shane Savage. Have to admit, a month ago I was questioning whether he had a place in the side. The last two or three weeks though he has been excellent. So glad we got the win because I feel he often plays well in our losses, but today he would be celebrating as hard as anyone.

Jack. What can you say. Very emotional game from him. What a star. If he needs to go then he needs to go, but glad we get to see him a few more times in the RW and B because he has been our best player through dark times. If he does stay, hopefully we can get to September next year and he is a part of a St Kilda finals campaign.

So of the youngsters, firstly Josh Battle. That mark at the death was huge, but his kicking in general and general play in defence was superb.

Clark was excellent again. His work in traffic and ability to get shrug tackles and then deliver is outstanding. Just love what he is becoming.

Coffield was showing great signs again before getting injured. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Long played a great game. Good to see him perform throughout the second half as I feel he often fades out of games.

It was an interesting game in that we just found it so hard to score. Kind of can't believe we won, but great that the boys get to celebrate again in 2019. Be awesome to beat the Blues at the G next week.
Typical Ross Lyon game. First team past 70 points wins.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I seriously doubt he was mentally switched off one on one on the goal square waiting for a kick from a Lonie. I find this whole “space cadet” thing a bit of a furphy (first time I’ve used that word 🤣) to be honest. A few years ago he may have been caught dreaming occasionally, but rarely has it happened in the past year or so.

I personally think Lonie was betwixt and between...should I go for goal? should I kick to Blake?....and therefore ended up doing neither rather well! That ball should have gone through well over their heads.
i think Lonie earlier copped a spray for not handballing to an open player and blazing away only to miss so i reckon you might be onto something

LeonardHayes87

All Australian
Oct 13, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
What were the fans booing after the siren? The umpires?
The umpiring was diabolical. Both ways.

Eleni should be back umpiring in the Ammo’s.

There was a passage of play where a saint was smashed high in a takle. She pays a free kick to Freo. Her colleague tried to overrule her and paid it the other way. She then intervened again and paid it to Freo. Complete shambles.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

There was a passage of play where a saint was smashed high in a takle. She pays a free kick to Freo. Her colleague tried to overrule her and paid it the other way. She then intervened again and paid it to Freo. Complete shambles.
It was actually a freo player she thought was hit high. I thought it was wrong decision but someone here said it was right. She actually did well to hold her ground.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
That can be argues both ways IMO.

Blake could have led into space, he didn't. But standing there he should have put some body in the player, which he didn't.

No excuse for Lonie not making the distance either. He probably could have run a bit further, drawn the man then kicked it to Blake.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Blake could have led into space, he didn't. But standing there he should have put some body in the player, which he didn't.

No excuse for Lonie not making the distance either. He probably could have run a bit further, drawn the man then licked it to Blake.
Very sexual

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're spot on. I think the same about Ratts and his infectious positivity should contribute to a "releasing of the shackles" from the previous regime... as Gears pointed out "focus on what we can do, not on what we can't." I think it will get better after a pre-season as well.

The thing I remember most from the old regime was the way Marshall was ripped to shreds in the players race for daring to bite off a kick in the centre square and missing a target (instead of blindly kicking it down the line). No "I liked your thinking, you'll hit that kick next time".

I shudder to think Roma was left out of Round 1, it summed up the old regime's mentality perfectly.
What does Ratten have to do with the discussion about Blake and Lonie?

Blake's lack of footy IQ has been pointed out. His defenders are shifting the blame to Lonie.

Now you're linking back to Richo tenure?

Wowee. If only Raph was afforded the same fairness when he was run down and Fisher should have warned him.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

No excuse for Lonie not making the distance either. He probably could have run a bit further, drawn the man then kicked it to Blake.

He also could have kicked it to space for Blake to run to, but I can't recall where the defender was positioned.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
What does Ratten have to do with the discussion about Blake and Lonie?

Blake's lack of footy IQ has been pointed out. His defenders are shifting the blame to Lonie.

Now you're linking back to Richo tenure?

Wowee. If only Raph was afforded the same fairness when he was run down and Fisher should have warned him.
I think it was more flowing on from the previous comments from the poster and my previous posts in that, it's easy depending on how you look at any one situation in a game or player, to focus on the negatives rather than the positives.

The Blake/Lonie one is a great example because, if people are biased against Blake they'll see him as being at fault and a "typical Blake space cadet" line gets wheeled out. Whereas to me Lonie shanking his kick was the real issue there: a kick unexpectedly dropping to the goal-line favours the defender the majority of the time. I just hope our new coach can look at players in an unbiased fashion more than supporters can because you get the best outcomes out of players that way.

Where it links back to Ratts vs the previous regime is the talk of focusing on negatives being brought up by our captain and, I was hoping (when talking to Diehard who brought it up) that Ratts will be more positive in the way he deals with mistakes going forward. For what it's worth, pointing out mistakes and the WAY they are pointed out to players with instructions etc./ is a big part of what makes a successful coach I reckon so I hope we have a different approach going forward. Without knowing and based on his press conference work and what players say about him, I think the strength of Ratts is his people managing so I am excited to see him get more out of what we already have, from the whipping boys on our list up. It's exciting times.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
great post!

hunters development this year has been great since the bye. if we can transition him to the wing or as an inside mid will be where he goes from a good young player to be absolute amazing and the future of our midfield.

newnes is HBF or bust now i reckon. i think he needs run with roles.
It’s a bit disappointing that he didn’t make the 22 under 22 team. Probably cos of his start to the year. But regardless of that he should be in that team easily. He’s an absolute star and a potential future Brownlow chance, if he keeps this trajectory going.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think it was more flowing on from the previous comments from the poster and my previous posts in that, it's easy depending on how you look at any one situation in a game or player, to focus on the negatives rather than the positives.

The Blake/Lonie one is a great example because, if people are biased against Blake they'll see him as being at fault and a "typical Blake space cadet" line gets wheeled out. Whereas to me Lonie shanking his kick was the real issue there: a kick unexpectedly dropping to the goal-line favours the defender the majority of the time. I just hope our new coach can look at players in an unbiased fashion more than supporters can because you get the best outcomes out of players that way.

Where it links back to Ratts vs the previous regime is the talk of focusing on negatives being brought up by our captain and, I was hoping (when talking to Diehard who brought it up) that Ratts will be more positive in the way he deals with mistakes going forward. For what it's worth, pointing out mistakes and the WAY they are pointed out to players with instructions etc./ is a big part of what makes a successful coach I reckon so I hope we have a different approach going forward. Without knowing and based on his press conference work and what players say about him, I think the strength of Ratts is his people managing so I am excited to see him get more out of what we already have, from the whipping boys on our list up. It's exciting times.
Fair enough. It was one incident of many errors IMO.

That's why i have a list of about 10 players who are our future and neither of those two are on it. IMO.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fair enough. It was one incident of many errors IMO.

That's why i have a list of about 10 players who are our future and neither of those two are on it. IMO.
Yeah, going to be a big 12 months for the club. We've been hit with shocking luck injury-wise so our hands are a bit tied when it comes to list moves this off-season.

But next year will be exciting (or scary depending on how you look at it) because we'll see how players go with a different voice. It's still an unknown to some degree for me, or, if you have the opinion that we've seen enough to judge some, then next year will seal the deal and there'll be a large list cut done then.

Either way, it will be a exciting journey to be on because no one can say with certainty we know how it's going to end up.

I've genuinely never seen anything like that. Umpires at all levels are taught to stick to their guns with players once you blow the whistle but I've never seen an umpire refuse to accept a call from another umpire before. He gave her a way out and she just would not take it.

I've genuinely never seen anything like that. Umpires at all levels are taught to stick to their guns with players once you blow the whistle but I've never seen an umpire refuse to accept a call from another umpire before. He gave her a way out and she just would not take it.
Like many of the male umps she is an idiot

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Because she did exactly what you said umpires are taught to do. You are confusing me.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, going to be a big 12 months for the club. We've been hit with shocking luck injury-wise so our hands are a bit tied when it comes to list moves this off-season.

But next year will be exciting (or scary depending on how you look at it) because we'll see how players go with a different voice. It's still an unknown to some degree for me, or, if you have the opinion that we've seen enough to judge some, then next year will seal the deal and there'll be a large list cut done then.

Either way, it will be a exciting journey to be on because no one can say with certainty we know how it's going to end up.
Absolutely.

If we land a couple of mids and with Bytel, Steven and Hanners, it will be a good old case of Darwinism IMO with 50/50 players pushed our regardless.

Back