Autopsy Rd 21 Blues luck dries up in the wet

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 against the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That’s what I liked about yesterday. Our back half has plenty of mongrel. I loved how we got under the skin of Riewoldt and Lynch yesterday. Imagine saying Jones and Weitering have mongrel two seasons ago.

Jonesy could do with using more of his size and strength in a nasty way - Weitering has always been a brave player and his class is showing again - but he needs to add some hurt factor as well as 'just' smarts - but I am seeing progress ...takes time for a teenager to grow body and confidence and will to impose themselves - don't know if Weiters or Jones will ever have the physical hurt factor of the famous Brisbane defenders or Scarlett ot SOS.

Just saw that Liam Jones copped an injury to his throat yesterday in the game?
Thought he did a great job on jack a lot of old school behind the ball stuff from both parties

Haven’t been able to find where the throat injury occurred was it just during play or off the ball?

Great game yesterday as well fornthe blue baggers had me worried for a little bit

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Jonesy could do with using more of his size and strength in a nasty way - Weitering has always been a brave player and his class is showing again - but he needs to add some hurt factor as well as 'just' smarts - but I am seeing progress ...takes time for a teenager to grow body and confidence and will to impose themselves - don't know if Weiters or Jones will ever have the physical hurt factor of the famous Brisbane defenders or Scarlett ot SOS.
So the boys need to add ‘GBH’ to their games. ;)

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
This is my point, it's driven by their leaders starting with their coach; he snaps at post match media for daring to pursue a line of questioning; retaliates against crowd for daring to question his team's ability away from MCG; snaps at media for daring to question his teams prospects.

FWIW - a mate of mine used to referee Hardwick and his mates playing over 35's basketball.

His words "Hardwick was the biggest dickhead on the floor - an absolute flog".

Old habits die hard.................

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Just saw that Liam Jones copped an injury to his throat yesterday in the game?
Thought he did a great job on jack a lot of old school behind the ball stuff from both parties

Haven’t been able to find where the throat injury occurred was it just during play or off the ball?

Great game yesterday as well fornthe blue baggers had me worried for a little bit

Probably happened while flog Reiwoldt was "chicken winging" him..........

Reiwoldt is a dirty prick who also happens to be a stager/flopper.

IIRC another of your flogs did something similar to Ed Curnow last year.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
100% completely agree.
Because he does media these days he gets a “love in” from other media mates.
He and Caddy have been doing the same thing for 3 years. Often playing the “human cannonball” role to take out as many defenders as possible and get the ball to ground for their little helpers (while not realistically in a position to take a mark).
Is a superflog.
PS - I’ve posted seperately that Tiggers were constantly appealing for frees and sooking to the umps when they didn’t get them. Jack is a “leader”!!!!

So Reiwoldt didn't even get a fine for his "chicken wing" on Jones.

Haven't heard a peep from the media either.

Remember the furore with Judd.

I rest my case!!!!!!!

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Check out the bottom six from any premiership side this decade.

Isn't the real point that the collective of Deluca, Gibbons, Obrien, Fisher + a few others can not take us out of the bottome six this decade?
Look I am not being absolutist, in the sense that I agree some will improve but the writing is on the wall for me that we are a long way off the midfield, flanker, pocket talent required forward of centre.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Gov's 'tallness' is not overstated, because he plays taller than he is. I agree that Adelaide's forward structure in 2017 functioned fairly well, and certainly was innovative, but it was also completely ineffective come the grand final. They got swarmed by a smaller, more determined opposition, and were pressured out of their 45 angled kicks and their space creating leads, which were Teague's hallmark as a forward line coach.

I've probably cluttered this thread up enough with musings to this end, so if you feel the need to continue conversing about this, quote me in list management.

FWIW - McGovern is not a KPP - he's 4cm shorter than our leading MID............

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Plenty of average footballers end up in top 4, and even the big dance. Sometimes bog average footballers even have their moment to shine in moments in a GF. You won't have 22 All Australians in one footy team. It's all about balance.

I'd agree about the likes of Lang who just constantly look not up to it. Deluca is unproven as of yet, but Gibbons has done enough this year (after largely even being played in not his ideal position) to suggest he can be a genuinely handy player until someone good enough comes along to replace him.

I am calling a spade a shovel but they all really let us down this week against Richmond. I don't question their effort but there is a gulf in performance between these players and their direct richmond opponents. It is just a sign for a recruting department to get busy. There is light at the end of the tunnel if we avoid being self satisfied and be realistic about where we are at

Smegger

Club Legend
May 19, 2016
place without a postcard
AFL Club
Carlton
Well he has a point. Plowman invites far too much pressure with his indecisiveness leading to missed kicks or a teammate getting the footy under immense pressure leading to a turnover.
Has Plow got room for improvement? Yes and IMO so does everyone else on any list. I stand by my point that getting it in the first place is the primary objective. When the team settles with coach/gameplan i'm sure Plowman along with others will start choosing and hitting targets with more speed and confidence. If it gets to a point where there's a continuous, obvious weak link in the chain, then no doubt it will be sorted. Pinpointing individuals after a loss is usually due to frustration.

I am calling a spade a shovel but they all really let us down this week against Richmond. I don't question their effort but there is a gulf in performance between these players and their direct richmond opponents. It is just a sign for a recruting department to get busy. There is light at the end of the tunnel if we avoid being self satisfied and be realistic about where we are at
That's true but I also think back to some of Richmond's lesser players that looked like honest triers or scrubbers some years back, and look at them now. He might end up making a fool of me but I often think Gibbo could be our Kane Lambert. People used to laugh at Shane Edwards, but look at him these days. It's as much about development and a settled, good system around them (and bringing the best out of them) as much as it is recruiting in the first place.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
That's true but I also think back to some of Richmond's lesser players that looked like honest triers or scrubbers some years back, and look at them now. He might end up making a fool of me but I often think Gibbo could be our Kane Lambert. People used to laugh at Shane Edwards, but look at him these days. It's as much about development and a settled, good system around them (and bringing the best out of them) as much as it is recruiting in the first place.
Same with those Hawks premiership teams and the Cats ones.

Playing in a suitable system next to gun players can improve lesser players.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons and Deluca are given an armchair ride by many on here. Today was the day they had to stand up. Our wings and small forwards were woeful: Gibbons Deluca, Fisher, Lang
When you break it down Gibbons had a bad game but has been great in his first year getting better by the game
Fisher has had a couple of quite games since coming back certainly no armchair rides being given to these two
Deluca has only just got back into the afl system played two games give him a chance before knocking him
Lang imo has been given the chance to show the club what he has to offer, he's more than likely going to be delisted at the end of the year going by his limited impact he has had in games, probably dropped this week...

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Something for Cripps to look at and work on.

Looked terrible at the game but they didn't actuallyscore many goals from centre clearances. We really needed an effective sweeper to stop them exiting the back our set up.

It would seem to be a risky strategy on a dry day where the ball is being bounced as opposed to the low throw ups where Nank was taking Kruezers space. Have to wonder if Philips would have jumped over Nank and given us first use with his opponent dropping off.

Will be interested to see how this works in round 1 with Cogs being the sweeper

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Isn't the real point that the collective of Deluca, Gibbons, Obrien, Fisher + a few others can not take us out of the bottome six this decade?
Look I am not being absolutist, in the sense that I agree some will improve but the writing is on the wall for me that we are a long way off the midfield, flanker, pocket talent required forward of centre.

Gibbons is a good team player, O'Brien will come good and Fisher is playing well below his ability. The bottom six will sort itself out, strap in and enjoy the ride.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton

Back