Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack showed that he is still a very good player today. Also he turned the game in the last quarter when someone needed to step up and he did.

Just imagine what he will be like when he is not rusty.

If the Cat's Officials were keen on him prior to today, then his game today will obviously have made them keener.

The game today also showed that he is still well liked and well loved by his team mates. If you go down to training, and I am sure a few Cat's Spies will have, you can see that he gets on when with everyone at the club players , trainers and coaches (Which by the way dispels about 90% of the bulls**t rumours about him this year).
He was great with ball in hand and in the contest.

I was at the game, he is clearly overweight and his work off the ball was extremely poor.

Can he lose the weight? He surely can.

At the moment, is an overweight with serious mental issues. No judgment but it does reduce your value at AFL.

Geelong would be taking a risk with him.

I think their second round pick is about right with a fourth pick coming back.

Not only did he remind everyone that he can play today (despite being "rusty and fat", in his own words), but he showed again how damaging he can be when played forward (where he showed plenty early in his career).

Perfect for a team like Geelong who have so many strong inside options.

Desperately hope he stays. Incredibly important to us, if for nothing else but the energy he so clearly brings to the side.

The form JackS is showing today... there is no doubt he can play ... I think he should stay and complete his contract .. Stk have been good to him... stay and reciprocate that... Too often these days its all about the player ... the pick they would justifiably want will not come their way for a 30 yo.. .. the best I could see is a Ablett type trade and the st's do not have a R2 to throw into the mix. If he is still playing well he can make the move as a FA... in 2020 when Ablett will be gone..

He can play but geez he looks like he has been eating in a good paddock. Given Ablett didnt cost a R1 there is no way a 30yo Jack Steven will. R2 and be done with it.

Fact of the matter is Stuv is contracted for next year. If he wants to leave to Geelong, and Geelong want him then they have to pay up. I know he’s a bit older than Kelly, but Cats can hardly be hypocritical and offer unders for a contracted 4x best and fairest winner, when they were asking a lot for Kelly. He is the heart and soul of the stkilda footy club and even though he asked for a trade at the end of last year he absolutely loves the club, and is loved by everyone at the club. I along with 99% of saints supporters don’t want to lose him.
If we can’t get a good deal done for us then I’d be surprised if we trade him. We’ll do everything we can to convince him to see out his contract, and I’m sure we’ll offer up circumstances to him by which he can spend more time away from the club if he needs.
If by the end of next season he still wants to leave, than by all means he can via FA, and we will all wish him the best at Geelong. I honestly don’t even care about FA compo, as I believe he’ll be more important to us than ever next season. Not just for what he brings in terms of class on field, but also for what he means to his teammates and how much they lift when he plays as well.

Fact of the matter is Stuv is contracted for next year. If he wants to leave to Geelong, and Geelong want him then they have to pay up. I know he’s a bit older than Kelly, but Cats can hardly be hypocritical and offer unders for a contracted 4x best and fairest winner, when they were asking a lot for Kelly. He is the heart and soul of the stkilda footy club and even though he asked for a trade at the end of last year he absolutely loves the club, and is loved by everyone at the club. I along with 99% of saints supporters don’t want to lose him.
If we can’t get a good deal done for us then I’d be surprised if we trade him. We’ll do everything we can to convince him to see out his contract, and I’m sure we’ll offer up circumstances to him by which he can spend more time away from the club if he needs.
If by the end of next season he still wants to leave, than by all means he can via FA, and we will all wish him the best at Geelong. I honestly don’t even care about FA compo, as I believe he’ll be more important to us than ever next season. Not just for what he brings in terms of class on field, but also for what he means to his teammates and how much they lift when he plays as well.
This is exactly why a trade will be so hard. How do you reconcile his value? I see an overweight bloke whose stats in his comeback game fairly well resemble Quinton Narkles last week and who is going to be 30 next year. Saints fans see their 4x B&F winner.

For all the chest beating both sides seem to be saying 2nd round pick, just saying it with with different emphasis

This is exactly why a trade will be so hard. How do you reconcile his value? I see an overweight bloke whose stats in his comeback game fairly well resemble Quinton Narkles last week and who is going to be 30 next year. Saints fans see their 4x B&F winner.

For all the chest beating both sides seem to be saying 2nd round pick, just saying it with with different emphasis
What?? How many times has Narkle done it in his career? That’s a stupid comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont subscribe to the theory of uncontracted players or only a year remaining as Saints still have him registered so a price will have to be payed but the influence on that price is if Stevens wants out if so a 2nd rd about 30 will do it but if another club shows interest that drives up value to around 20 mark and then its down to which club wants him more.

I dont disagree but that but all youve provided is a rationale for why St Kilda should keep him youve provided no rationale for why its in Geelongs interest to pay overs.

I dont subscribe to the theory of uncontracted players or only a year remaining as Saints still have him registered so a price will have to be payed but the influence on that price is if Stevens wants out if so a 2nd rd about 30 will do it but if another club shows interest that drives up value to around 20 mark and then its down to which club wants him more.

Hes only going to pick Geelong or St Kilda i cant see him going anywhere else.

Heart and soul....loves the club.

But wants out. Seems legit.

The form JackS is showing today... there is no doubt he can play ... I think he should stay and complete his contract .. Stk have been good to him... stay and reciprocate that... Too often these days its all about the player ... the pick they would justifiably want will not come their way for a 30 yo.. .. the best I could see is a Ablett type trade and the st's do not have a R2 to throw into the mix. If he is still playing well he can make the move as a FA... in 2020 when Ablett will be gone..

Agree. Do not want for what it sounds like st kilda May want (1st round value).

He isn’t worth it for us and I would rather grab a kid in the draft and take him for nothing end of next year.

If st kilda are smart they would just trade him now for a late second instead of for nothing next year.

I can’t see a scenario they get any significant value out of it

His a good player but geez you guys talk him up to a level he isn’t and never was at throughout his career.

Not once AA level, never in the top few end of brownlow night. Just BF in a very crap side which isn’t pedestal like stuff of claims.

His 30 start of next year with mental health clouds and hardly played footy. Looks shockingly out of shape to the point he can’t play large midfield minutes.

If he isn’t coming at the price of our second rounder which is about 40ish then I don’t want.

Sorry jack but I think if st kilda isn’t going to do what’s right by you given your not even clearly a part of their future premiership group and trade you out, then I doubt we can do much to get him across and give him his wish.

His value to st kilda shouldn’t be overinflated given his clearly not in an age bracket of their next flag. His value is very little to them given how long he has left to play.

To compare a 26 year old top 3-5 midfielder in the competition at a club competing for a premiership to a 30 year old with mental health issues at a bottom of the ladder club is rediculous and so far different I don’t know where to start on it.

He isn’t worth it for us and I would rather grab a kid in the draft and take him for nothing end of next year.

Well the Cat's decision makers have to decide whether the Cats are more chasing a flag next year or more moving into restructuring their list.

If the latter, then youth will be the way to go. If the former then a young kid will weaken your chances and not strengthen them. Moreso if you lose Kelly.

Which way will the Cat's go?

Steven will not go for overs, but equally he will not go for peanuts either.

Personally I don't want to trade Steven as he is more valuable to us than what the cats would offer and rightfully so. Personally a fair pick would be around 18, but again I would keep him.

The way is see it is if Kelly asks for a trade then you will offer up a pick worth around 18 considering the state of the list and chasing the flag at the moment. If however Kelly stays, then I can see you guys offering up a pick around 27 for him with a take it or leave it.

I have a feeling a lot will depend on what Kelly does with Jack and what you guys are willing to offer.

In 2018 his last full season was equal 6th in the Brownlow and so yes must a be a dud.

Amusing that so many Cat's fans don't rate him, but yet strangely still want him. Go figure eh.
Exactly!! and polled higher than any Geelong player.. in a s**t side too! Must be a dud.

But in saying that St.Kilda should do what’s right by him and just let him go to Geelong for nothing :rolleyes:.

Maybe Geelong should do what’s right for Kelly and let him go for a 2nd round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back