Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were playing a lot of midfield minutes under bolts.

Under Teague they seem to play as small forward out of necessity.
This has been perhaps a bit of an overcorrection from teague. Fisher is undoubtedly a natural midfielder, he just needs to get a bit stronger.

But in the first half of this year he was our second best contested ball winner besides cripps even with his frame. He's the same height as lachie neale and as a full time midfielder his career numbers were tracking nearly identically to lachie neale's first 3 seasons.

This has been perhaps a bit of an overcorrection from teague. Fisher is undoubtedly a natural midfielder, he just needs to get a bit stronger.

But in the first half of this year he was our second best contested ball winner besides cripps even with his frame. He's the same height as lachie neale and as a full time midfielder his career numbers were tracking nearly identically to lachie neale's first 3 seasons.

Sacrafices were made when Curnow and Murphy played more onball minutes. Think we may need to slowly introduce they guys onball over the year while playing forward and phase out Curnow and Murphy.

Might of been too early giving 100% midfield minutes to Fish and Dow.

See what happens next year.

Sacrafices were made when Curnow and Murphy played more onball minutes. Think we may need to slowly introduce they guys onball over the year while playing forward and phase out Curnow and Murphy.

Might of been too early giving 100% midfield minutes to Fish and Dow.

See what happens next year.
There was a stat going around last year that the best clearance trio from centre bounces in the entire AFL was cripps, curnow and dow. it's fine to have one of the kids in there at a time, but certainly not dow, fisher, walsh simultaneously.

Neale has 10 kgs on him, was always naturally stronger (77 kg when drafted versus 70), and that's assuming one didn't have their height measured with boots on versus the other (I could have sworn Fisher had been previously listed at 175).

Fisher also plays a bit lower to the ground, particularly when he runs. The thing I really find frustrating about Fisher is how many options he'll tend to burn in an effort to the do the spectacular play. He could be a natural outside mid if he was satisfied with the occasional short pass and releasing handball.

That his defensive effort has gone missing in the last 2-3 months has been absolutely infuriating.

Gold Coast and Carlton join race to try to lure Eddie Betts away from Adelaide in player-mentor role next season​

The Advertiser has been told that both Gold Coast and his former club Carlton, where Betts is friends with interim coach D
avid Teague who was his old forwardline coach at the Crows, have made contact.​
Carlton football director Chris Judd last month said the Blues were looking for small forwards but he expected Betts to remain at Adelaide next year.
.​

Gold Coast and Carlton join race to try to lure Eddie Betts away from Adelaide in player-mentor role next season

The Advertiser has been told that both Gold Coast and his former club Carlton, where Betts is friends with interim coach D
avid Teague who was his old forwardline coach at the Crows, have made contact.

Carlton football director Chris Judd last month said the Blues were looking for small forwards but he expected Betts to remain at Adelaide next year.

No to Betts. we have moved on.

Pretty clear what we're targeting, given what Agresta said on the weekend and what Teague wanted, as far back as February.

The real question is though; Other than Papley, where else could our targets be?
Surely we're way too smart to be hanging our hat on one player only........and Betts isn't a realistic option.

If...and a big if...we do actually have an agreement-in-principle from Coniglio, our door is wide open for what can be achieved with the currency we have.
So, if Papley gives us the negative, where else would we have been looking at? Surely we do have a plan B.

Martin isn't really a noted goal-kicker and we need goal-kickers.
I understand that he's had other roles and we may still want Martin, but there should be another plan B.

I feel that a lot gravitates around Coniglio right now, as should we attain him, the other pieces become so much more manageable and attainable.
The deal I've heard for Coniglio isn't a cheap one @ 1.35 * 7, but should that signature come about, it just opens the door on what else we can target with the picks we have, as we would have taken care of the midfield and now the concentrations is on small forwards/goal-kickers.

Just seems to be that as much as Papley may make for the plan A, the plan B must surely already be in place.

I think the difference is at the current stage of Fishers career Neale had already taken the next step and was already a gun. Neale was absolutely miles ahead at the same stage, so much so they probably shouldn’t be compared at all.

Would love to see Betts back at the club, even as a mentor.

Reckon he’d have plenty to offer our indigenous players.

Question should be asked, our small forward stock is non-existent. Get Betts to do a coaching mentoring role, will be good to learn from one of the best in the business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty clear what we're targeting, given what Agresta said on the weekend and what Teague wanted, as far back as February.

Weren’t only midfielders mentioned by Agresta on the w/end?

Teague was about small forwards at the start of the season (hope for Owies too, maybe).

Liddle raised small forwards. So has Judd, I think?

Weren’t only midfielders mentioned by Agresta on the w/end?

Teague was about small forwards at the start of the season (hope for Owies too, maybe).

Liddle raised small forwards. So has Judd, I think?

We're probably looking at small forwards, but it's quite possible Coniglio was the one name running though his mind when the question was asked.

To answer why we might be keen on Martin. Current form aside. We are currently being carried by a few older players, particularly in the midfield.

Simpson (35), Thomas (32), Murphy (32) and Curnow (29) are still some of our best players and our resurgence under Teague has come about mostly from Teague making these guys central figures in our team and getting a heap out of them.

Currently we have a few good young players coming through but many aren't there and are yet to prove themselves.

I think rather than wait for slow developing players to either eventually get there or fail, we are going to be more proactive when it comes to suring up our midfield and our future.

Currently our midfield needs more young players and more depth. It's short on rotations there's no doubt there. Cripps and Walsh are guns. If we land Coniglio then great but that only gives us around the right number with Curnow and Murphy. Setterfield is looking alright.

We need some of the group of Fisher, SPS, Dow, O'Brien and/or Stocker to step up but I think rather than relying on that to happen we need to bring in guys who are already there and are already physical enough and good enough to be top AFL players.

I'm not a huge fan of Martin but if he comes to us and can be a 25+ possession mid and be a physical competitor then that improves our team. If he makes a few others have to earn their spot then that is great because we have to get to this as a team. Giving games to young players who aren't playing well is not good for their development.

We're still having to play young players who aren't up to AFL standard yet. If we didn't have to do that then that would be great for both the team and for the young players so their development involves them having to work hard and play well to get a game.

Make no mistake, our midfield is adequate right now but it's not a premiership midfield and there are a couple of older guys there who may not have loads of good footy infront of them. There are some fairly big questions over some of the midfielders we have drafted recently, they will either not make it or they will be slow developers.

Add a couple of skilled hard hitting hard running mids to that team of ours and we'll shoot right up the ladder. Does Martin fit that bit? For mine his numbers are really underwhelming but perhaps we believe he can be a better player at Carlton or he can fill a role in the forward line.

Martin isn't really a noted goal-kicker and we need goal-kickers.
I understand that he's had other roles and we may still want Martin, but there should be another plan B.

I feel that a lot gravitates around Coniglio right now, as should we attain him, the other pieces become so much more manageable and attainable.
The deal I've heard for Coniglio isn't a cheap one @ 1.35 * 7, but should that signature come about, it just opens the door on what else we can target with the picks we have, as we would have taken care of the midfield and now the concentrations is on small forwards/goal-kickers.

Just seems to be that as much as Papley may make for the plan A, the plan B must surely already be in place.

Didn't one the ITK posters this morning say the deal on offer was cheaper than was reported?

The real question is though; Other than Papley, where else could our targets be?
Surely we're way too smart to be hanging our hat on one player only........and Betts isn't a realistic option.

If...and a big if...we do actually have an agreement-in-principle from Coniglio, our door is wide open for what can be achieved with the currency we have.
So, if Papley gives us the negative, where else would we have been looking at? Surely we do have a plan B.

Shai Bolton
Jack Martin
Robbie Grey (FA)
Isac Smith (wants out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back