Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Well mate, if you can comprehend, i accused you of speaking garbage, and you answered with "like your racist president"
Sorry, you accused me of that did you?

Not how I read it.

An accusation would read; LoungeLizard is an impudent little child who attempts self-pleasure by flicking through the Miller’s catalogue.

You just gave a very vague generic sentence to which I replied; “Like your”

Not how I read it.

An accusation would read; LoungeLizard is an impudent little child who attempts self-pleasure by flicking through the Miller’s catalogue.

It makes sense.

Carringbush2010 has it right, things just fly straight over your head.

Not how I read it.

Wow you're on fire for posts in desperation, keep em going. Got the popcorn in the microwave as we speak!

Anyways I hope the giants win for two reasons:

1. It'll prove that the media's reverence is correct.
  2. It'll prove that the intent of HQ of having a successful franchise club in RL territory does work.

And how can you accept the SA supporters salt? Port fans ok they followed their team but why would anyone in their right mind follow a start up in a comp where it's not all about them?

Do you reckon any Vic fan would dump their 100+ yo club for the sake of a brand new franchise in a national comp based around a WA or SA league? Yeah nah, not many if any. Certainly not me!

I think a lot would of preferred their club being a part of the national league, for some unknown reason that was not on the table and yes the WA footy league ran and joined a Vic comp. in my eyes probably the most stupid decision in WA footy history, they should waited and with SA be able to bring some terms for their involvement.
As you have not been through the scenario it’s easy to say you would not of jumped on board. What about if a new national league had of been formed, would you of stayed with the Pies watching them every week in the VFL or would you eventually grab on to one of the 4 or 5 franchise clubs where all the best players play in a national comp?
I am very jealous that you never had to work through that.

Oh right, so what are my actions? Do you have a camera on me? If anything my only "actions" are keystrokes on a keyboard that make you look silly.

Do tell what are my actions? We're all waiting for your learned reply.
It’s the using of the word impervious....

Which means; unable to be affected by.

If you were actually unaffected you wouldn’t be forced to reply.

Wow you're on fire for posts in desperation, keep em going. Got the popcorn in the microwave as we speak!

Anyways I hope the giants win for two reasons:

1. It'll prove that the media's reverence is correct.
  2. It'll prove that truckloads of concessions and endless leg ups do work.
Ahhhhh, the Vic media bias has brainwashed you!!

Thank you for proving my point.

As you have not been through the scenario it’s easy to say you would not of jumped on board. What about if a new national league had of been formed, would you of stayed with the Pies watching them every week in the VFL or would you eventually grab on to one of the 4 or 5 franchise clubs where all the best players play in a national comp?

You're presuming that this hypothetical national comp would have the best talent in the land.

That would suggest the bulk of the vic market would jump on a brand new team(s) and have the club they've been following for 100+ years as a second interest. That is highly highly unlikely. Remember the overwhelming bulk of the market is in vic - hence it's mainly based over there.

If I were a betting man I'd argue that most would not be forgoing their traditional team for the sake of a start up. Yeah nah.

Ahhhhh, the Vic media bias has brainwashed you!!

Thank you for proving my point.

Prove what exactly? Hazard a guess you're suggesting that the media don't rate the giants and you're naively denying the leg ups that the giants have received.

Good luck with that!

Are you ready to tell one and all what my actions are? We're all still waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prove what exactly? Hazard a guess you're suggesting that the media don't rate the giants and you're naively denying the leg ups that the giants have received.

Good luck with that!

Are you ready to tell one and all what my actions are? We're all still waiting.

Answered already little buddy.

Answered already little buddy.

Hahaha, you're funny.

So posting replies shows I'm not impervious.

Righto everyone don't reply to this poster because it will show how vulnerable you are.:drunk:

Try again champ, you'll just dig a deeper hole that you're in.

You're presuming that this hypothetical national comp would have the best talent in the land.

That would suggest the bulk of the vic market would jump on a brand new team(s) and have the club they've been following for 100+ years as a second interest. That is highly highly unlikely. Remember the overwhelming bulk of the market is in vic - hence it's mainly based over there.

If I were a betting man I'd argue that most would not be forgoing their traditional team for the sake of a start up. Yeah nah.

That’s is the hypothetical, Collingwood are a feeder club. Like I said I am happy you guys never had to go through it.
You also have to remember the collingwood club today is a vastly different beast to the club in 1985. 90k members to 10-15k members, nationally broadcast club as opposed to Local state league club.
No club is ammune from another comp having all the best players. Now granted and national league set up without Collingwood would be stupid in Aussie Rules but that is the hypothetical.

I actually believe you that a huge number would of stayed with their club and supported the VFL even if the best players were elsewhere.

Then why did WA fans jump off the wafl and follow a completely new start up club in a foreign comp? Why not snub this vic based comp and stick phat with an already strong and high profile comp (WAFL)?

Like Victoria or SA footy fans want to watch the best, my team Subi lost 7 of its GF winning 1986 side to the Eagles, they were still out there every 2nd week at Subi playing for the EAgles.
If you look at the attendances for the national comp & the WAFL crowds were shared initially, it was the success of Malthouse that really ingrained the Eagles in the WA footy psyche.

At the time Origin was where all the best played.

One of the factors ignored by many historians was the Elliot & Seddon plan to set up a national comp, ditch a couple of Melbournes strugglers, & add a SA team with the Swans already in Sydney - no WA team.
This alerted WA footy chiefs that unless careful a national comp could happen without them.

Financially the WAFL was in dire straits as was the VFL.

No club is ammune from another comp having all the best players. Now granted and national league set up without Collingwood would be stupid in Aussie Rules but that is the hypothetical.

I actually believe you that a huge number would of stayed with their club and supported the VFL even if the best players were elsewhere.

But that's the point, wherever the market is where the best players will go - that cannot be disputed. A national comp without all of Ess, Carl, Rich, Coll and maybe even Haw would not work or at best would not be the highest profile / attended league. It's simple economics.

IF there were to be a national comp without those clubs it would certainly not be the highest profile league as much as anyone one / entity would want it to be.

The hard and cold fact IS that the bulk of the market is in vic and that is why we have a "vic centric" national comp. No way around it really.

Last edited:
I may be travelling to Perth later this year. In the spirit of this thread I expect to see Richmond given the same media coverage as West coast.

Expectation, not sure even level for all teams is what is expected from a State media but when they claim a national coverage ....
The difference about WA is each team plays fortnightly, if you miss this week, its not on next week. When the Tiges play in Perth, they will be one of two teams competing that week.
Very different dynamic to Melbourne.

Like Victoria or SA footy fans want to watch the best, my team Subi lost 7 of its GF winning 1986 side to the Eagles, they were still out there every 2nd week at Subi playing for the EAgles.
If you look at the attendances for the national comp & the WAFL crowds were shared initially, it was the success of Malthouse that really ingrained the Eagles in the WA footy psyche.

At the time Origin was where all the best played.

One of the factors ignored by many historians was the Elliot & Seddon plan to set up a national comp, ditch a couple of Melbournes strugglers, & add a SA team with the Swans already in Sydney - no WA team.
This alerted WA footy chiefs that unless careful a national comp could happen without them.

Financially the WAFL was in dire straits as was the VFL.

That does not answer the question, why not give the bird to the eagles and the VFL? In any case in some shape or form both leagues would've continued, there was too much market to just let em go by the wayside. Still to this day the WAFL is arguably the strongest league outside of the AFL.

Origin? Even back then clubs including WC had trepidation playing their best in SOO for the sake of what - bragging rights? Nah mate clubs were and are still after the biggest prize. The league premiership.

Vic media bias. Maybe or maybe it's media for the audience.

It's how you view it really.

Being a Perth resident I can categorically tell you the media over here does lean heavily toward WC and Freo - yeah it's not national. But what does one expect?

The national football media IS largely made up of ex vic based footballers, funny that being that since the inception of football the overwhelming participants & fans are from guess where? Victoria.

What the whingers aren't taking into consideration is that cold hard reality.

The good players go where the money is, Haydn Bunton Snr gave the VFL the sars in the 1930s for the money in WA, Bob Rose gave the Pies the heave ho in the 50s for money at Wang, its a time honoured reality. Not all but thats how it evolves.

Dont believe WA fans suddenly dropped their WAFL team & went to watch the Eagles. Check for yourself:

SA went thru the same trauma.
That does not answer the question, why not give the bird to the eagles and the VFL? In any case in some shape or form both leagues would've continued, there was too much market to just let em go by the wayside. Still to this day the WAFL is arguably the strongest league outside of the AFL.

Origin? Even back then clubs including WC had trepidation playing their best in SOO for the sake of what - bragging rights? Nah mate clubs were and are still after the biggest prize. The league premiership.

I'm not arguing I'm telling you how it was in WA at the time, I'd lived in SA & Vic over the previous 10 years, member of Carlton.
WA kicked off Origin in the late 70s. WA was first in & it started to crumble when Eagles played in the 91, 92 & 94 GFs after playing 4 away finals in 1990.
As I explained I am (still) a Subi fan who follows the Eagles in the national comp even though I followed the Blues in the VFL - came back to Melbourne mid way thru 1987 & like most WA fans who lived thru it, the memories are mixed.

So many stories from the time, I'd recommend Gary Linnells book if you are dinkum about what went on in that time, not just the national, the TV rights (Channel 2 had them for one year in the 80s) and the club shenanigans.

The footy history thread on BF is worth digging about in, as is the work by one of our mods .The Wookie

I canned my Foxtel subscription due to the shows being s**t and talking about the same 5 teams every time. Also watching the games is frustrating because most of the commentators are Vica so just shamelessly barrack for the Vic side.

Don’t give a s**t about the local rags and news though as it’s the same in every state however paying for a nationally broadcasted game or show should at least come with knowledgeable presenters, not dumbfounded looks when the interstate side that’s been flying all year wins the lot and the dimwits on the panel shows admit they haven’t watched them all year.

Pathetic.

The good players go where the money is,

Correct, boil it down and dissect it. The bulk of the market overwhelmingly is in vic - cold hard reality - where the players will go. Can't be ignored.

So STILL my question remains, if WA and SA fans that are so pi55ed off with the competition and vic media and are still bunkered down to follow teams that have zero history before their inception still follow those teams? What's the point?

Why not just snub those big bad evil victorians and stick phat with their SANFL and WAFL teams? As a first interest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back