2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lol at some wanting 3 Bulldog midfiellders in the squad. Bont is your only chance. When was the last time 3 midfielders made it from one team?

Bont isn't a chance, he's a lock. The other 2 are chances. Dunkley would be a lock if he played rounds 1-6 in the midfield. Last team with 3 mids in the squad of 40 was richmond 2018. Last team with 3 mids in the 22 was sydney 2016.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
112th in the comp for metres gained despite 33 disposals a game (#2 in the comp).

That's horrific. Watching him backs it up. Most of his possessions go sideways or backwards. Little impact.

Great dream team player but he needs a proper coach to sort out his game.
Macrae is 100th for average metres gained, while Cripps is even lower. If you're going to base player impact on metres gained, then you'd have to agree Cripps doesn't belong in the AA team, right? Because that sounds pretty silly doesn't it

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae is 100th for average metres gained, while Cripps is even lower. If you're going to base player impact on metres gained, then you'd have to agree Cripps doesn't belong in the AA team, right? Because that sounds pretty silly doesn't it

Yep. Round 5 Cripps had 37 disposals and 83 meters gained. I was critical on him for that one, but as soon as you get up around 300-350 per game, that's fine for players that play a role like Macrae does. I don't think it's worth engaging with barnzy, that last post was an obvious troll.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Is the wing position just given to an inside midfielder or what? Would've hardly thought Macrae was a winger
He's not really wingmen but if if you're gonna fill the wing with mids, you might as well pick balanced mids like him for it.

Metres gained, like effective disposals, is a stat that must be examined closely and should not be taken as the be-all and end-all.

If you pinpoint your teammate with a 40 metre kick but they stuff it up and their opponent manages to gain possession and kick it back 40 metres, it is counted as 0 metres gained. Inside midfielders doing the grunt work always have less metres gained anyway because they tend to win first possession and flick out a quick handball backwards of the pack to an open teammate (0 metres) or just slam it on the boot for territory if they are under a lot of pressure (high chance of 0 metres).

And of course forwards have a lot less opportunity for metres gained compared to defenders.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
112th in the comp for metres gained despite 33 disposals a game (#2 in the comp).

That's horrific. Watching him backs it up. Most of his possessions go sideways or backwards. Little impact.

Goes to show how little you must watch of him then.

He’s 8th in the league in score involvement and 2nd in goal assists. He’s also 4th in the league in assisted metres gained (article from July) and I can provide a link for that.

Bont is our metres gained weapon from the middle, Macrae is the one who sets everyone else up and puts them in dangerous positions.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Goes to show how little you must watch of him then.

He’s 8th in the league in score involvement and 2nd in goal assists. He’s also 4th in the league in assisted metres gained (article from July) and I can provide a link for that.

Bont is our metres gained weapon from the middle, Macrae is the one who sets everyone else up and puts them in dangerous positions.

Can I get that link? I bet Cripps would be high in assisted meters gained.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Yep. Round 5 Cripps had 37 disposals and 83 meters gained. I was critical on him for that one, but as soon as you get up around 300-350 per game, that's fine for players that play a role like Macrae does.

For sure meters gained don't mean everything, but Cripps and Macrae aren't really similar in their role. Macrae picks up 20 uncontested possessions per game, Cripps only 10.

Macrae is more like a taller,stronger Andrew Gaff

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For sure meters gained don't mean everything, but Cripps and Macrae aren't really similar in their role. Macrae picks up 20 uncontested possessions per game, Cripps only 10.

Macrae is more like a taller,stronger Andrew Gaff

Not quite the contested beast cripps is, but I wasn't comparing them at all. For the record:
Avg contested possessions
Cripps 16.8
Macrae 13.8
Gaff 8.9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Not quite the contested beast cripps is, but I wasn't comparing them at all. For the record:
Avg contested possessions
Cripps 16.8
Macrae 13.8
Gaff 8.9

Fair enough. On the other end though, uncontested possessions -

Cripps - 11.5
Macrae - 19.4
Gaff - 22.3

Vlastuin is an elite intercept and rebounding defender nowadays. How anyone would ever even consider the likes of Jake Lloyd or Adam Saad before him is laughable.
Right, a Richmond fan whinging about a Richmond player not being as highly rated against a player in a different role. If I can direct you to the Coleman Medal, Saad has kept 6 of the top 7 goal kickers for small forwards (excluding Lloyd because he was injured for this game) in Cameron, Sexton, Betts, Walters, Papley and Breust to 5 goals in 7 games including keeping CC and Betts goalless and the others to 1 goal in the games he's played. He's been doing an excellent job as the #1 small defender whilst still averaging 17 disposals, 4.4 rebound 50's and 337 metres gained per game.

Jake Lloyd you're 100% right on, biggest stat padder in the game currently. Vlaustin is a good player but maybe watch some Essendon before shooting your mouth off.

djrasta213

Debutant
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Bont isn't a chance, he's a lock. The other 2 are chances. Dunkley would be a lock if he played rounds 1-6 in the midfield. Last team with 3 mids in the squad of 40 was richmond 2018. Last team with 3 mids in the 22 was sydney 2016.
And what did both of those teams have in common.... They both finished top of the ladder. You guys arent even in the 8!

And what did both of those teams have in common.... They both finished top of the ladder. You guys arent even in the 8!
Luckily the All Australian team isn't a team based selection. We have an elite midfield, with multiple top class guys in there. We aren't high on the ladder because we're weak down back and up forward. But you'd have to be crazy to question the calibre of our midfielders.

I don't think Dunks will make the squad. They might squeeze him in, but i'd say there will be too many ahead of him due to how many games they've played as an actual mid, and because it's his his "breakout" year as a (nearly) full time mid they'll probably pass him over. But his form since he moved to the midfield is definitely AA quality.
Bontempelli is a clear selection in the team.
Macrae will at least be in the squad. I have a feeling they wont put him in the team, but he should be.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that all three make the squad though. But I do think Dunks will miss.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It's not really about that. If you look at the coaches votes you will see all three are in the top 12. If you look at average sc score you will see all 3 are in the top 10. So like it or not, they have been very productive this year and are in the conversation.

I think dunkley will miss out due to not playing midfield rounds 1-6. But if you take his average sc and coaches votes since round 7, he is 2nd in the comp in both, behind grundy and bont. I think Macrae is about a 55% chance to make the 22.

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He

He average 76 more metres per game than Cripps so what's that make Cripps ( who most people say is best in the business )

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough. On the other end though, uncontested possessions -

Cripps - 11.5
Macrae - 19.4
Gaff - 22.3

That just means that Macrae has a better tank than Cripps to get around the ground more and get some easy possessions. For the contested ball beast every1 calls Cripps he only averages 3 more than Macrae.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You do realise the All Australian team is selected on individual merit? Carlton are going to finish bottom 4, yet will have Cripps in the 22. Melbourne will finish bottom 4, yet will have Gawn in the squad (if not the 22). Players are selected based on how well they performed over the year, not how well their team did.

Bont is leading the AFLCA with 2 rounds to go - he's a safe lock at this stage.
Macrae is 11th in the AFLCA voting, 2nd for total disposals this season, and has risen to 9th in the AFL player ratings. As another lesser indicator, he's the 2nd best fantasy player behind Grundy. He's been outstanding all year, so would be a lock for the squad, and a potential member of the 22.
Dunkley has been the best player in the competition over the past 6 weeks, and among the best this year. He rotted away up forward for the first 6 rounds, but since then has managed to climb to 12th in AFLCA voting. Stats-wise, he is outperforming Lachie Neale, who would be a lock for the 22 and among the Brownlow favourites. On the weekend, he managed 16 disposals and a goal in the first quarter alone, finishing with 39 disposals.

Just wondering, which of these guys aren't worthy of the AA squad?

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol at some wanting 3 Bulldog midfiellders in the squad. Bont is your only chance. When was the last time 3 midfielders made it from one team?
It's like when Melbourne won six matches in a row in 2018 and suddenly half their team became AA contenders.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Metres gained, like effective disposals, is a stat that must be examined closely and should not be taken as the be-all and end-all.

If you pinpoint your teammate with a 40 metre kick but they stuff it up and their opponent manages to gain possession and kick it back 40 metres, it is counted as 0 metres gained. Inside midfielders doing the grunt work always have less metres gained anyway because they tend to win first possession and flick out a quick handball backwards of the pack to an open teammate (0 metres) or just slam it on the boot for territory if they are under a lot of pressure (high chance of 0 metres).

And of course forwards have a lot less opportunity for metres gained compared to defenders.

I don't think that's right.

I'm confident in the first example, each player gets 40 metres gained.
If a player kicks or handballs backwards, they get metres lost.

Back