Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In 2018 his last full season was equal 6th in the Brownlow and so yes must a be a dud.

Amusing that so many Cat's fans don't rate him, but yet strangely still want him. Go figure eh.

Think majority of cats fans think he’s historically been a good player. But 0.01% of cats fans would be happy to trade anything more than a R2 pick. R1 picks will never be in the discussion. If that’s what saints demand for a player wanting out who has been out all year and unfit then if cats have. Y brains they walk away. Not 1 cats fan would do that trade.

Trading first round picks for banged up 30 year olds with mental issues is diabolical. Richmond/Freo of the 90s type trading.

How much would you pay for Selwood? A far superior player with no mental issues? What did you pay for Hannebery? That’s his value. We have cap and if Kelly leaves we will have a lot of cap.

Geelong in window doesn’t mean we have to go full * and over pay. It could turn into Mitch Clark 2.0. How did H McIntosh work out for us.

It looks like Steven wanted us last year, it doesnt appear we are desperate, I doubt we are selling the farm. He’s an UFA next year.

If you’re expecting a R1 prepare to be surprised.

No.one.pays.R1.picks.for.30.year.olds.

To think otherwise is akin to a dirty salesman trying to sell you a 2000 Monaro on last legs, telling you it’s basically new.

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So much geelong arrogance here. Just as well it's not up to you. As a neutral I reckon a deal will be done for pick 18-25 and that's the fairest result for both sides.

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Or they will trade for a player like Constable.

It's possible, especially if there's truth in Higgins to the cats as well. Heard on the radio constable played school footy and is bff with battle, king, clavorino? Explains the link.

Crazy that he can't get a game before atkins, guthrie, parfitt. If i was him I'd be peeved as well.

Personally I don't want to trade Steven as he is more valuable to us than what the cats would offer and rightfully so. Personally a fair pick would be around 18, but again I would keep him.

The way is see it is if Kelly asks for a trade then you will offer up a pick worth around 18 considering the state of the list and chasing the flag at the moment. If however Kelly stays, then I can see you guys offering up a pick around 27 for him with a take it or leave it.

I have a feeling a lot will depend on what Kelly does with Jack and what you guys are willing to offer.
I have a feeling a lot of saints fans are going to be pretty disappointed with this.

He's the same age as Jordan Lewis was with the same length of contract to play out. Saying the cats will throw everything at a trade to stay "in the window" ignores that likelihood that we're losing multiple key peices to retirement in maybe a matter of weeks.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Comparing Steven to Hannas and Lewis is pretty meaningless.

Both Swans and Hawks wanted to dump salary.

Saints are actually struggling to meet the minimum that they have to spend.

In 2018 his last full season was equal 6th in the Brownlow and so yes must a be a dud.

Amusing that so many Cat's fans don't rate him, but yet strangely still want him. Go figure eh.
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind him on the list, I just don't see him fundamentally changing our side and hence don't see a huge amount traded for him.

Cats will be likely willing to pay a second rounder. Whether that's overs or not I can't say, but I can say for certain saints fans will hate it and cats fans will feel they reached.

It's possible, especially if there's truth in Higgins to the cats as well. Heard on the radio constable played school footy and is bff with battle, king, clavorino? Explains the link.

Crazy that he can't get a game before atkins, guthrie, parfitt. If i was him I'd be peeved as well.
He plays a different role to every one of those players

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He plays a different role to every one of those players

But no reason why he can't play those roles though surely? Seen them all play roles through the forward line, why couldn't he? Maybe he's upset the club has pigeonholed him into one role only?

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
I have a feeling a lot of saints fans are going to be pretty disappointed with this.

He's the same age as Jordan Lewis was with the same length of contract to play out. Saying the cats will throw everything at a trade to stay "in the window" ignores that likelihood that we're losing multiple key peices to retirement in maybe a matter of weeks.
He is miles in front of what the above 2 offered in output. Top 10 in the Brownlow last season, and the other day playing overweight and unfit gets 22 plus 3 goals.

But no reason why he can't play those roles though surely? Seen them all play roles through the forward line, why couldn't he? Maybe he's upset the club has pigeonholed him into one role only?
He hasn't built the tank yet to play any other roles, he's another full pre-season away from that. The cats did not invest two years in developing that tank just to trade him for a player who has 2 years left. There is just zero chance that trade happens willingly for the cats.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

This is his first year playing senior footy, as a former Pick 36, that has severe endurance issues (can only run out 3/4 of a game/play 70% game time or less). Why would he be upset when he's fighting for a spot in a side that's top of the ladder, and given him 7 senior games in his debut year.

He is miles in front of what the above 2 offered in output. Top 10 in the Brownlow last season, and the other day playing overweight and unfit gets 22 plus 3 goals.
I gave the example of Jordan Lewis because of the age and contract status more than anything, somewhat tongue in cheek. I know it's not a comparable situation. But, it's not a first round pick trade either. It's in the middle of those. Go back and read what the neutral fans have mostly said up to this point. First rounder trades have been for players like Devon Smith at age 25 where you are likely to get 6 years out of them. You wouldn't pay that for 20-40 games from Patrick Dangerfield let alone a guy who I think we can all agree has been in significantly better shape

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Well the Cat's decision makers have to decide whether the Cats are more chasing a flag next year or more moving into restructuring their list.

If the latter, then youth will be the way to go. If the former then a young kid will weaken your chances and not strengthen them. Moreso if you lose Kelly.

Which way will the Cat's go?

Steven will not go for overs, but equally he will not go for peanuts either.

A lot depends if we win the flag. But if by overs you mean rediculous overs such as a gun young midfielder or a first round pick then no way we do that.

Overs would still be a pick around the 30 mark.

His age time off and mental health clouds are too much to put a first rounder on him for just a good footy player with 1-2 years at maximum of good footy.

I don’t think jack Stevens is going to be the difference between a flag either way for geelong in my opinion. He isn’t a player in that category of skill and ability.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

So the best his ever cons brownlow night is equal sixth which isn’t much to crow about and a few BF at a bottom four club and no AA jumpers.

He isn’t an elite midfielder. His just a good player who is in his twilight with heaps of health clouds over him.

I think geelong fans are pretty unanimous about us walking away if the value is anything rediculous like a first rounder or constable.

We value constable a lot more than getting jack Stevens

Respect his ability but facts are he will be 30 has off field issues and is not too many meat pies off Mark Cosgrove territory. Those things all lower his trade value significantly.

He doesnt have the burst speed to play any of those other roles you suggested and his endurance still needs work.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
LOL. If he was only just a good player then the Cats would not want him.

Personally I would prefer that Jack stays.

But if you believe that Jack is just a good player then you really have little idea about football.

Do I honestly need to answer “ why does geelong want a good player?” I’ll ignore you asked something so stupid.
Last time I checked we like recruiting good players.

But let’s get real. He is 30 years old start of next year with massive physical and mental health concerns and has never been at an elite AA level in the competition with the best.

To suggest anything below a mid to late second rounder is just nuts.

Geelong would much rather keep constable and our first.

LOL. If he was only just a good player then the Cats would not want him.

Personally I would prefer that Jack stays.

But if you believe that Jack is just a good player then you really have little idea about football.
The cats have mostly looked to add "just good" players in the past. Trading for elite players has been rare

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Personally I don't want to trade Steven as he is more valuable to us than what the cats would offer and rightfully so. Personally a fair pick would be around 18, but again I would keep him.

The way is see it is if Kelly asks for a trade then you will offer up a pick worth around 18 considering the state of the list and chasing the flag at the moment. If however Kelly stays, then I can see you guys offering up a pick around 27 for him with a take it or leave it.

I have a feeling a lot will depend on what Kelly does with Jack and what you guys are willing to offer.

Exactly!! and polled higher than any Geelong player.. in a s**t side too! Must be a dud.

But in saying that St.Kilda should do what’s right by him and just let him go to Geelong for nothing :rolleyes:.

Maybe Geelong should do what’s right for Kelly and let him go for a 2nd round pick.

He is contracted.. if able to play ..I feel he should stay and play for the side who has supported him thru his issues.
Not everyone questions his ability as a player... I feel he has plenty to offer but a 30 yo player who is a FA next year ... id think from a value pov .. geelong is trading for 20 odd games next year. It all in Stk hands really they have the final say.. if they do not wish to trade him then thats their right..

Back