Upper Murray FL 2019

Footsball

Debutant
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Former upper Murray premiership coach returning to an upper Murray club for 2020v Anyone know who it would be?

skippy99

Rookie
Jan 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Bullioh kicked 47 goals against Cooryong.

The depressing thing is this was not the most lop sided match this weekend. That goes to Cudgewa kicking 48 goals to nil over Border Walwa. Something drastic is needed.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Bullioh kicked 47 goals against Cooryong.

The depressing thing is this was not the most lop sided match this weekend. That goes to Cudgewa kicking 48 goals to nil over Border Walwa. Something drastic is needed.

I'm sure it will get worse next year if the league doesn't unite to form a composite team.

Players - especially those wanting a better standard of football - aren't going to risk further eroding standards and weekly 200+ point margins in the UMFNL and will abandon it and play TDFL instead.

The upshot will be that, having lost a year or two trying to stubbornly carry on as the UMFNL, a new 'Upper Murray Eagles' side will find it tougher to get these guys back and will be behind the eight ball as a result, especially if they struggle for wins early on.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm sure it will get worse next year if the league doesn't unite to form a composite team.

Players - especially those wanting a better standard of football - aren't going to risk further eroding standards and weekly 200+ point margins in the UMFNL and will abandon it and play TDFL instead.

The upshot will be that, having lost a year or two trying to stubbornly carry on as the UMFNL, a new 'Upper Murray Eagles' side will find it tougher to get these guys back and will be behind the eight ball as a result, especially if they struggle for wins early on.

Again yesterday If you look at the scores the Upper Murray is really in a tough spot.

Game of the round Federals (3) vs Cudgewa (1) - 1.3.9 vs 36. 21. 237 (228 pts)
Tumbarumba (4) vs Bullioh (2)- 2.0.12 vs 23.9.147 ( 135 pts)
Looking at the results Federals struggled to field a team and only named 14 players according to the results online.
Tumbarumba have been hot and cold but pretty poor away from home and kicked two goals in the first quarter and didn't score from then.

Looking long term you'd have to say if clubs cant fill 20 players every week, questions need to be asked as to what the future of the league is. I don't know how clubs can really sign on going forward for 2020 in the current climate.
Poor attendance, no juniors, no reserves and then now no real senior depth. We've said it before but will teams forfeit during the middle block of 22 when they have injuries or unavailability. Bullioh, Cudgewa seem to be happy, will Tumbarumba still have a strong team next season.... Are players happy coming from Albury/Wodonga and Wagga to play in what could become a real poor standard comp.
Border Walwa would need to recruit close to 15+ players to fill a strong squad and become actually competitive. Corryong 10+ players to play and Federals around the same. Tumbarumba have players depth but lost over the last two weeks by a combined thirty goals.

I feel that AFL NEB are just waiting for the league to self implode and then wash their hands of the merger and we just see a bunch of players either lost to the game or joining a close TDFL team.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Again yesterday If you look at the scores the Upper Murray is really in a tough spot.

Game of the round Federals (3) vs Cudgewa (1) - 1.3.9 vs 36. 21. 237 (228 pts)
Tumbarumba (4) vs Bullioh (2)- 2.0.12 vs 23.9.147 ( 135 pts)
Looking at the results Federals struggled to field a team and only named 14 players according to the results online.
Tumbarumba have been hot and cold but pretty poor away from home and kicked two goals in the first quarter and didn't score from then.

Looking long term you'd have to say if clubs cant fill 20 players every week, questions need to be asked as to what the future of the league is. I don't know how clubs can really sign on going forward for 2020 in the current climate.
Poor attendance, no juniors, no reserves and then now no real senior depth. We've said it before but will teams forfeit during the middle block of 22 when they have injuries or unavailability. Bullioh, Cudgewa seem to be happy, will Tumbarumba still have a strong team next season.... Are players happy coming from Albury/Wodonga and Wagga to play in what could become a real poor standard comp.
Border Walwa would need to recruit close to 15+ players to fill a strong squad and become actually competitive. Corryong 10+ players to play and Federals around the same. Tumbarumba have players depth but lost over the last two weeks by a combined thirty goals.

I feel that AFL NEB are just waiting for the league to self implode and then wash their hands of the merger and we just see a bunch of players either lost to the game or joining a close TDFL team.
I agree about the AFL NEB. I’ve said it before. They should’ve made the obvious tough decision to force mergers.
Next season when teams start with 20 or 22 players it won’t take long to get a few injuries and unavailability. It will be as early as Round 3 or 4 and come Clubs will be down to 14-16 players to choose from and then it will get worse from there.

JOHNNY GASTEV

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2008
Lavington
AFL Club
West Coast
How many clubs are/aren’t in favour of a merger? That might have significant effect on whether the league continues. Credit to Bullioh for wanting to leave hopefully the remaining UMFL clubs are willing to clear them.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure, looking at Newspaper reports.
Cudgewa wanted to continue, Bullioh TDFL, Federals AND Corryong not sure. Tumbarumba not sure.
I guess we see how 2019 plays out first.
Who's everyone picking this week?

Old Kenny

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure, looking at Newspaper reports.
Cudgewa wanted to continue, Bullioh TDFL, Federals AND Corryong not sure. Tumbarumba not sure.
I guess we see how 2019 plays out first.
Who's everyone picking this week?
Federal are behind a merger. Corryong on the fence. Cudgewa and tumba want to keep it as it is. Walwa....unsure what they will get out of going on.
A few whispers I’ve heard are John Mitchell to coach walwa. Also Chris Hyde to bullioh.

Chopper69

Team Captain
Dec 22, 2007
Lamington
AFL Club
Collingwood
Team of the year
B. P.Jeffries(corry) J.Cleven(cud) J.Walters(bull)
H.B. T.McKimmie(feds) L.Nicholson(bull) H.Clarke(bull)
C. R.Mee(cud) M.Pynapples(cud) Q.Rooney(tumba)
H.F. J.Hill(cud) M.Harris(corry) K.Wallace(bull)
F. B.Phillips(bull) A.Murray(bull) B.Hall(cud).
Foll. Whitely (cud) D.Carey(cud) A.Freeman(bull)
Inter. J.Vinge(cud) B.Commins(bull) A.Greenhill(walwa) D.Muggivan(walwa)
Coach. S.Fouracre(feds)
Ass Coach C.Reid(bull)

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Relton7

Rookie
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Federal are behind a merger. Corryong on the fence. Cudgewa and tumba want to keep it as it is. Walwa....unsure what they will get out of going on.
A few whispers I’ve heard are John Mitchell to coach walwa. Also Chris Hyde to bullioh.

Ha ha ha Chris Hyde would rather s**t in his hands and clap than go to Bullioh. He will be walking through the bush with a bow on his shoulder not if not playing at Albury...

John Mitchell would be good for Walwa but would still find attracting players the major road block.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Big win yesterday by Federal. Seemed like Tumba just couldn't hold the forwards of Feds. Some big numbers going up.
Anyone head out to the game? Crowd good? Do we still see a future for 2020? It's interesting Federal beat Tumbarumba by 20 goals yesterday, the depth in footy clubs is certainly interesting. Bullioh and Cudgy have then beaten Federal by close to 30 goals in all meetings. It certainly paints a poor picture in the league when there is one competitive match up per year.

Back to the real stuff, next week is a huge contest, sets up really well with two tight games during the year. I think Cudgy win just with their depth of player.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
I still feel that it is futile having a comp in 2020. We would have many three-digit margins and it would dampen interest in local football as a result.

The better players will head off to TDFL clubs in order to play competitive football and the likelihood is that they won't come back, especially if they are not locals. This would greatly affect the success of a composite side down the track as players may decide not to come back to an 'Upper Murray Eagles' side.

My worst fear is that:
* Over the next six months TDFL clubs will benefit from players transferring out the UMFNL if the league goes around in 2020.
* The league lurches for a year or two before collapsing.
* Despite all efforts, a composite side struggles to get up due to lack of player interest.
* The few who are keen to continue playing will end up playing for clubs such as Tallangatta, Kiewa-Sandy Creek or Mitta United.

The biggest issue is that the clubs from other leagues that have missed out on finals in 2019 are now starting to turn their attention towards 2020 and they will be looking to recruit. Given the uncertainty in the region, TDFL clubs would be crazy not to exploit this and woo Upper Murray players to their club. This will leave both the UMFNL or a composite side behind the eight ball and Upper Murray clubs now have to come to the realisation that NOW is the time to act for the future interests of football in the region … not December or January or 12 months from now. That may well be too late.

JOHNNY GASTEV

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2008
Lavington
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m tipping with the league continuing into 2020, there won’t be any football in the upper murray within 5 years. Way to many short sighted club officials who can’t see that the league is doomed. Sad part is it’s the kids who’ll miss out in the future. 👎

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
I unfortunately tend to agree with you both. If the standard drops, which from all reports it has over the last couple of years then i can't see the league continuing to survive. For the UM money isn't an issue but if you are not supporting the junior development, parents, families and players will move on.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can see a few forfeits in the Upper Murray next year. Teams will start with 22-24 players and a few rounds in will have injury and unavailability and I bet a few battle to field a side at all.

Back