Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Lyon... yes motivation is on the players, but surely at some stage you have to do something as a coach. Its said the players are crying out for more overt coaching. More demands made of them, more direction etc. Inside observers are telling me that

Lyon likes the sound of his own voice but in this case i think he's on to something. It's never sat well with me this player driven narrative in the sense of where they had to come back from, the Saga which stuffed their mental confidence and want.

Roos: Agree on that totally although i can't stand him.

Brown: Has a point.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Lloyd: Worsfold talks all about brand but I don’t know what it is

Judd: Isn’t their brand just that run off half back that doesn’t stand up?

Lloyd: well, yes

Further Lloyd:

Leadership (references leadership group). Fantasia should be in the VFL such is his form. Myers doesn’t even consider himself good enough to be playing AFL. Daniher is hanging out at the Swans’ CEO’s house.

“It’s said by Essendon people” (dunno what he means there) that the players’ leaders are Hooker and Hurley and that’s who they voted for. The coaches overruled them.

If Essendon don’t play finals then Worsfold should go.

I just want somebody to come in and build a competitive brand of footy that complements the list. We don’t need big names. Caracella, Rutten and Solomon for me. Three young men who are knowledgeable and hungry.

Solomon is a great people person who builds relationships but he also has plenty of fire in the belly.

They are seventh in the ladder and have done lots right but the last two weeks have been unacceptable.

What’s going on with the culture of the group... (references the blond hair etc)... what are they all about. Look at Hawthorn - no long sleeves. That’s a similar “look” thing but the opposite.

Last edited:

Bombers_95

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Lloyd: Worsfold talks all about brand but I don’t know what it is

Judd: Isn’t their brand just that run off half back that doesn’t stand up?

Lloyd: well, yes

Further Lloyd:

Leadership (references leadership group). Fantasia should be in the VFL such is his form. Myers doesn’t even consider himself good enough to be playing AFL. Daniher is hanging out at the Swans’ CEO’s house.

“It’s said by Essendon people” (dunno what he means there) that their leaders are Hooker and Hurley and that’s who they voted for. The coaches overruled them.

If Essendon don’t play finals then Worsfold should go.

I just want somebody to come in and build a competitive brand of footy that complements the list. We don’t need big names. Caracella, Rutten and Solomon for me. Three young men who are knowledgeable and hungry.

Solomon is a great people person who builds relationships but he has plenty of fire in the belly.

They are seventh in the ladder and have done lots right but the last two weeks have been unacceptable.

Interesting the three coaches Lloyd mentioned. Who out of those three actually would be the senior coach? Hasn't it been documented that Carcella dosen't want a senior coaching position therefore could he be a good senior assistant to a Ben Rutten or in this case Dean Solomon? Not completely against the idea especially since Tom Browne mentioned Brad Scott on Talking Footy and I almost threw up

That's easy then. Sack Worsfold with no need to worry about a replacement.

I think it says more that no matter who we have as coach this group ain't achieving s**t

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Throat slit motion.

Went ballistic at the players after the 96 prelim loss, I think? Almost lost the players, or so the legend goes. I'm just a bit unsure about the year.

Plenty of examples of Sheedy being emotional. Just need to have a careful think about it.

Yep. 96. Threw a punch at the wall, and just missed Olarenshaw.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Reading/watching the media;

the candidates so far for 2020 are
Worsfold
Caracella
Rutten
Lyon
Scott
Solomon

Outside the fact 3 of them work for us (sort of)
If we replace Worsfold, are we stupid enough to anoint a senior coach without the due process of doing a proper search...in the middle of a season where yet again a number of clubs are looking.

So we're going to go after a bloke who's been in charge of the GC defence since inception, a team that has been bottom 4 in goals conceded for 7 of the 9years they've been around?

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So we're going to go after a bloke who's been in charge of the GC defence since inception, a team that has been bottom 4 in goals conceded for 7 of the 9years they've been around?
Tad harsh Eth, bloke can only work with the cattle he's got. I'm not saying he's the answer at Essendon, nor do I think we necessarily need him given Rutten is our DL coach, that said you'll go well to find someone as honest, tough, hard and uncompromising as Soli. Traits most in our team are missing atm.

Back