Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember speaking to a passionate Doggies' supporter during the 2016 season about Jones. Despite the fact Jones was struggling to have an impact, this Doggies' supporter reassured me that we had got ourselves a good 'un. It was hard to see at the time, but his judgement has turned out to be pretty good (he also told me from Week 1 of the finals that year that the Doggies were going to win the premiership. Again I couldn't see it at the time, but we all know what the Doggies achieved in the end).

I don’t get much chance to watch other clubs’ games. So out of interest, would Jones have been in the All Australian discussion without missing games because of concussion and his mother’s passing?

I don’t get much chance to watch other clubs’ games. So out of interest, would Jones have been in the All Australian discussion without missing games because of concussion and his mother’s passing?
I would say he would be right up there. Was killing it before concussion and has been excellent since return bar 1 game

Jones has been incredible this year. His 2019 has had no asterisks, been a gun. It's no longer a surprise anymore, he just deserves respect as a truly good footballer.

He will be a big loss for the remaining 2 games, however IMO Saints don't have any key forwards that will dominate Goddard (I say Plowman to Membrey who is the usual thorn to us). Could be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rough fortnight for Jones. Hope he has a good run of it in 2020 because he's played some brilliant footy this year.

Has surprised the hell out of me. I wanted him gone not so long ago. In the right (simple) role, though, he's been fantastic.

Jones has been incredible this year. His 2019 has had no asterisks, been a gun. It's no longer a surprise anymore, he just deserves respect as a truly good footballer.

He will be a big loss for the remaining 2 games, however IMO Saints don't have any key forwards that will dominate Goddard (I say Plowman to Membrey who is the usual thorn to us). Could be wrong.
Don't underestimate Membrey, along with Steven, he seems to keep his best footy for us. Glad Gresh is out as well.

What a player this guy has become.

Liam Jones is criminally underrated. Statistically he's the best lockdown key defender in the comp:
- 1st for intercepts in the competition
- 1st for spoils in the competition
- 1st for total defensive 50 one on ones
- Has lost only 8% of his one on ones, by far the least amongst key defenders. The next best is Lever @ 11.5%

Still prone to the odd brainfart, but what a stunning turnaround. Went from being a laughing stock of the competition to one half of what I think is the best defensive duo in the competition. Massive kudos to him.

Liam Jones is criminally underrated. Statistically he's the best lockdown key defender in the comp:
- Has lost only 8% of his one on ones, by far the least amongst key defenders. The next best is Lever @ 11.5%

Still prone to the odd brainfart, but what a stunning turnaround. Went from being a laughing stock of the competition to one half of what I think is the best defensive duo in the competition. Massive kudos to him.

He does some fantastic things.

One of the most courageous in recent years

Massive kudo's to the VFL coach that had the foresight to actually completely change his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back