2nds AFL Listed players eligible for SANFL finals

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
If Port is out of the AFL Finals [a hypothesis I raise only for argumentation's sake], but is in the SANFL Finals, there are certains criteria for an AFL player be allowed to play. In order to do so, an AFL player must have played:
(a) more SANFL games then AFL games in the Minor Round; and
(b) at least 3 of our last 7 SANFL Minor Round games.

Moreover, in such a situation, we can only field 17 AFL players, regardless.

So far, 12 players have already qualified for a SANFL-Finals spot; and there are other 11 who still may (even though some of them are injured).

Players who have already clinched a spot (12)
Boyd Woodcock
Cameron Hewett
Martin Frederick
Sam Mayes
Trent McKenzie
Kai Pudney
Aidyn Johnson
Peter Ladhams
Joe Atley
Todd Marshall
Sam Hayes
Joel Garner

Players who may still qualify (11):
- doesn't need to play any SANFL matches (1)

Kane Farrell [SANFL-AFL= +2]
- only needs to play 1 SANFL match (2)
Jack Trengove
Billy Frampton
- only needs to play 2 SANFL matches (3)
Cameron Sutcliffe
Riley Grundy
Tobin Cox
- must play at least 1 SANFL match (1)
Matthew Broadbent [SANFL-AFL= +2]
- must play at least 2 SANFL matches (1)
Willem Drew [SANFL-AFL= -1]
- must play all 3 SANFL matches, BUT cannot play any AFL match (3)
Jarrod Lienert
Charlie Dixon
Jack Watts

There are 4 AFL matches and 3 SANFL matches still to be played.
The remaining 23 players of our roster are out.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lienert will need to qualify for us to have any hope.
As I have said in another thread, I would prioritize qualifying ALL those players that haven't done it yet. If this means that Dixon and Lienert won't play any more games for the Power this season, so be it.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Keep Broadbent in the AFL.
Lienert is more important for the SANFL

With 4 weeks remaining, Broady qualifies by playing at least 1 SANFL match and no more than 2 AFL matches.

Also, Drew qualifies by playing at least 2 SANFL matches and no AFL match (if he plays this weekend, he needs to play all the remaining 3 SANFL matches); and Farrell can play no more than 2 AFL matches (if he plays 2, he needs to play at least 1 SANFL match).

Moreover, Cox and Watts are most probably out. Grundy has a small chance of playing in the last two rounds.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So Trengove and Frampton have now qualified for finals?

Looks like Sutcliffe and Dixon will miss out.

You'd assume Cox and Grundy will get approved based on being out injured during the qualifying period (SANFL being campaigners notwithstanding).

You'd assume Cox and Grundy will get approved based on being out injured during the qualifying period (SANFL being campaigners notwithstanding).

If Sutcliffe gets dropped, he qualifies. He played against West Adelaide after June 30, so he only needs to play against Sturt and Centrals to meet the three match criteria.

It's why it's time to bring in Motlop.

If Sutcliffe gets dropped, he qualifies. He played against West Adelaide after June 30, so he only needs to play against Sturt and Centrals to meet the three match criteria.

It's why it's time to bring in Motlop.

I mean, that's not the reason I would pick to drop Sutcliffe, but as long as the end result is him being dropped I'm not fussed on how we reach that result.

That said, it would seem pretty ridiculous for our SANFL captain not to be eligible for SANFL finals.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

In: Farrell, Trengove, and Frampton
Out: Dixon, Watts

Qualified players: 15

Sutcliffe, Broady, Lienert, Grundy, Cox, and Drew may still qualify.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
2 games remaining.

There are 6 players with chance of qualifying:

- Grundy: must play 1 SANFL game;
- Drew: must play 1 SANFL game and 0 AFL games;
- Broadbent: must play 1 SANFL game and 0 AFL games;
- Lienert: must play both SANFL games;
- Sutcliffe: must play both SANFL games;
- Cox: must play both SANFL games.

At least 2 should qualify, so we reach the maximum of 17 AFL players. Most probably, Grundy, Drew, and Lienert will do it; and Broadbent won't. I have no idea what we will do with Sutcliffe and Cox.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I bet Sutcliffe will get dropped with only one sanfl game to go and not qualify.

Cox, honestly if you have not played any AFL games then that June 30 rule should not apply. Bloody sanfl Ben Nelson scoundrels.

These rules highlight the sanfl's full of integrity but cheating sorry arses. There are 4 more games in an afl season that renders some guys ineligible that should be eligible. Taking away their opportunity to taste some success.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I bet Sutcliffe will get dropped with only one sanfl game to go and not qualify.

Cox, honestly if you have not played any AFL games then that June 30 rule should not apply. Bloody sanfl Ben Nelson scoundrels.

These rules highlight the sanfl's full of integrity but cheating sorry arses. There are 4 more games in an afl season that renders some guys ineligible that should be eligible. Taking away their opportunity to taste some success.
Maybe Cox would qualify, and I am who hasn't understood the rules. Sincerely, I have no idea.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Sutcliffe's form in the AFL has definitely improved, but I still think putting him back in the SANFL for Motlop I more important.
If Ebert wasn't injured and Motlop was able to maintain his form than he would've been back in the SANFL weeks ago.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The problem is the complicated rules get harder to understand when the exemptions and exceptions are applied.

If Cam Sutcliffe was our nominated non AFL player for 2019 why were we not able to replace him when he was drafted mid season and became an AFL listed player? Maybe it was our choice? Maybe we were able to replace him but decided not to for money reasons?

Already the mid season draft has made this sham of an agreement redundant.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What does Jack Watts have to do to qualify?

It would be great for the Power to stay in the finals long enough for us to kick arse in the SANFL finals.

The melts when non qualified players kick out a "real grass roots" team would be delicious.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Play at least 3 minor round matches in the SANFL (now impossible). But can play if we're still in the AFL finals.

On Sutcliffe, and playing the SANFL's...I mean the :devil:'s advocate, I'm wondering if the games he played before the mid-season draft even count. If they don't, even if he plays out the last two SANFL games he will not have played more SANFL than AFL since being drafted on 27th May (3 games: Round 9 v Sturt, Round 10 v Norwood, Round 12 v West). He's already played 5 AFL games.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2 games remaining.

There are 6 players with chance of qualifying:

- Grundy: must play 1 SANFL game;
- Drew: must play 1 SANFL game and 0 AFL games;
- Broadbent: must play 1 SANFL game and 0 AFL games;
- Lienert: must play both SANFL games;
- Sutcliffe: must play both SANFL games;
- *Cox: must play both SANFL games.

At least 2 should qualify, so we reach the maximum of 17 AFL players. Most probably, Grundy, Drew, and Lienert will do it; and Broadbent won't. I have no idea what we will do with Sutcliffe and Cox.

*Assume Cox can play finals if the AFL side are still active

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Play at least 3 minor round matches in the SANFL (now impossible). But can play if we're still in the AFL finals.

On Sutcliffe, and playing the SANFL's...I mean the :devil:'s advocate, I'm wondering if the games he played before the mid-season draft even count. If they don't, even if he plays out the last two SANFL games he will not have played more SANFL than AFL since being drafted on 27th May (3 games: Round 9 v Sturt, Round 10 v Norwood, Round 12 v West). He's already played 5 AFL games.
surely even the sanfl wouldn't be so petty to disqualify him on those grounds

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Someone has commented this elsewhere:
A guys on SA footy has said Marshall doesnt qualify as hes played more than 8 AFL games. There are 18 SANFL games so if you have played 8 or more AFL games you cant be said to have played more in the SANFL. Thats a farce if you ask me.

Another brought this link in reply: https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-08-28/sanfl-finals-who-can-play
  • Have played the majority of their season in the SANFL.
    • This means a player cannot have played an equal number of AFL to SANFL or more AFL than SANFL games.

• For example, anyone who has played more than 8 AFL games is automatically disqualified from participating (There are 18 SANFL games, so anyone who plays 9 AFL games cannot be said to have played the majority of the season in the state league).

• Have played three SANFL games after June 30.

Unfortunately, I cannot read this:

"SANFL: Adelaide and Port Adelaide players qualify for finals ..."

Someone has commented this elsewhere:

Another brought this link in reply: https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-08-28/sanfl-finals-who-can-play

Unfortunately, I cannot read this:

"SANFL: Adelaide and Port Adelaide players qualify for finals ..."
QUALIFIED PLAYERS:
Adelaide .........

Port — Jack Trengove, Sam Mayes, Joe Atley, Kai Pudney, Boyd Woodcock, Aidyn Johnson, Billy Frampton, Martin Frederick, Trent McKenzie, Cam Hewett, Peter Ladhams, Tobin Cox, Joel Garner, Riley Grundy, Sam Hayes.

Back