General MFC Discussion 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did stretch sign a one year extension? The contracts page has him OOC this year.
Just checked and you're right. He's out of contract. I don't think he'll be rookied to be honest.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just checked and you're right. He's out of contract. I don't think he'll be rookied to be honest.
I'd only keep one of JKH and Stretch, although imo neither will make it AFL level long term outside of maybe bring role players at a side that's settled. Id rather have another look at Baker Lockhart Spargo and Wagner on the wings aswell as ANB and Hunt. Too many players who don't damage forward but don't have any impact on the game on the wing yet either

Can’t expect much from third and fourth round picks but boy did we screw that 2014 draft. Hurts to think how many good players were drafted after the picks we used on ANB, Stretch and OMac (who were all fairly highly rated juniors I guess).

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Can’t expect much from third and fourth round picks but boy did we screw that 2014 draft. Hurts to think how many good players were drafted after the picks we used on ANB, Stretch and OMac (who were all fairly highly rated juniors I guess).
I reckon ANB has been pretty solid for a pick 40. Even though I don't rate OMac he's played like 72 games, a lot of players in that range play none. Stretch meh.

Not a great haul, but we would have done a lot worse in other drafts. Remember that big lump Liam something or other. 0 games.

I reckon ANB has been pretty solid for a pick 40. Even though I don't rate OMac he's played like 72 games, a lot of players in that range play none. Stretch meh.

Not a great haul, but we would have done a lot worse in other drafts. Remember that big lump Liam something or other. 0 games.

They were all adequate picks at the time but would have been nice to pick up one player that’s still comfortable best 22, like Langdon, Lonie, Daniel or Dougal Howard.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We should hang on to C Wagner. There's something to work with there, and we don't have a lot of options on the wing. Not sure why we'd be in a rush to punt him out the gate.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
We should hang on to C Wagner. There's something to work with there, and we don't have a lot of options on the wing. Not sure why we'd be in a rush to punt him out the gate.
I hold the opinion that he’s average at best. If we keep him, I don’t really care because he’s a rookie. He’s played 17 games across his career and averages less than 10 disposals per game, this year has been his best and he’s averaging about 13. He lacks composure, he’s quick but doesn’t really break lines, and isn’t particularly damaging on the few occasions that he does get the pill. He gets to good positions on the ground but so did Jack Watts, and of his 17 career games across 3 seasons he’s played in two wins, which of course isn’t his fault but it suggests that a team is generally struggling if C Wagner gets a game. At 22, he’s not a kid or an athlete from another sport learning the game. I’m happy to be proven wrong if he develops into a good role player but getting positive over his game is a bit like saying that Oscar showed something as a forward, JKH held his width well and Dunkley tried hard. What we’re seeing is a s**t team in s**t form with a lot of s**t players where mere mediocrity is a mirage of promise.

So we just sacking everyone with out a review :think:
Jennings wanted to go and teach his own team as he thinks that he needs to tick that box off so he can go after some senior AFL gigs

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Jennings wanted to go and teach his own team as he thinks that he needs to tick that box off so he can go after some senior AFL gigs
A little bit surprised that he wasn't offered the gig at Casey, but that probably (hopefully) signals a near full clean out of assistants.

A little bit surprised that he wasn't offered the gig at Casey, but that probably (hopefully) signals a near full clean out of assistants.
that is the first thing I thought of too

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s hard to know what is going on at the club based on just media reports, but there have been so many management decisions that were poor or badly implemented that it is a cause for concern.

I’m worried about the leadership at the club. I think there should be a full review at the end of the season and that it should be conducted by external parties.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s hard to know what is going on at the club based on just media reports, but there have been so many management decisions that were poor or badly implemented that it is a cause for concern.

I’m worried about the leadership at the club. I think there should be a full review at the end of the season and that it should be conducted by external parties.
I agree. I had confidence when Peter Jackson was there and granted a horror year probably means there’s more scrutiny (be it justified and unjustified) but there’s s**t going on that deeply concerns me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back