List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think giving them an extra 1-2 years at good coin is going to fail too often.

Hell, if they offered Higgins 4 years at his current coin and wanted to swap pick 1 with pick 5, would you do it? Would Shaun do it?

******* oath I’d do it. But would Higgins agree to go to a team basically guaranteed to be wooden spooners for at least the next 2 years if not longer. I’m not privy to what motivation he might have.

There are a number of possible scenarios at play here...

1. This is complete and utter bullshit
2. His manager is using Geelong to get an extra year at North
3. He wants out of North and is using the excuse of a deal he knows he won’t get to leave
4. He wants a shitload of coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is cringeworthy?

Every year this board is awash with convoluted trade scenarios that have little merit and are removed from reality.

Things that just won't happen:
- packaging fingeplayers for high picks
- packaging all the players you don't like for anything
- complex trades that require 3 clubs 4 players and a smattering of picks
- us trading out 7+ players

Every year it's the same nonsense.

I would love for anyone to bump a single post from August that got a trade right.

One single post.

You won't because it either doesn't exist or it is that rare it'd be like walking across Arden St and finding Robert Walls tooth.

Oh, so like my last post? I thought they were all fair except the trading the skipper one, which was fair value, but unlikely at best.

Mate I actually think this could be the year that some of the fanciful trades get done. We do have a whole heap of Brad's boys looking for Alibrandi (a new father figure).

Wright and Thommo gone already (both I assume would have been retained under Brad).

Trade period should begin 1 minute after the GF winners ceremony concludes.

Oh, so like my last post? I thought they were all fair except the trading the skipper one, which was fair value, but unlikely at best.

Mate I actually think this could be the year that some of the fanciful trades get done. We do have a whole heap of Brad's boys looking for Alibrandi (a new father figure).

Wright and Thommo gone already (both I assume would have been retained under Brad).

Trade period should begin 1 minute after the GF winners ceremony concludes.

Unofficially I suspect trade period never actually stops.

"You ok Gaz?" - umpire on Saturday night.
Don't you think like I do, that the ch7 director just overlooked the umpire's equal concern for Scooter? I'm sure that they were pretty disappointed that their checks of his head injuries and his well being weren't highlighted in the broadcast.

But would Higgins agree to go to a team basically guaranteed to be wooden spooners for at least the next 2 years if not longer. I’m not privy to what motivation he might have.

Shaun supposedly wants money & contract length doesn't he?

There's no guarantee we are going to be any more successful than GC in 4 years time either.

Shaun supposedly wants money & contract length doesn't he?

There's no guarantee we are going to be any more successful than GC in 4 years time either.

I don’t know what he wants. This is all media speculation at the moment.

For all we know this could all be horse s**t and he has no desire to leave North.

For all we know this could all be horse s**t and he has no desire to leave North.

Exactly, this is just a hypothetical discussion.

What is cringeworthy?

Every year this board is awash with convoluted trade scenarios that have little merit and are removed from reality.

Things that just won't happen:
- packaging fingeplayers for high picks
- packaging all the players you don't like for anything
- complex trades that require 3 clubs 4 players and a smattering of picks
- us trading out 7+ players

Every year it's the same nonsense.

I would love for anyone to bump a single post from August that got a trade right.

One single post.

You won't because it either doesn't exist or it is that rare it'd be like walking across Arden St and finding Robert Walls tooth.
You're right of course, and liked mainly for the Robert Walls' tooth reference.

A fair proportion of it is just fan-fiction and done in fun to see what sort of 7-team megatrade they can come up with. But your first two points especially - yeah. We should be more creative at the trade table, and we should be more prepared to let players who get good offers go for decent returns.

The whole "packaging all the players you don't like for anything" is the worst. Like, using the 5th rounder you'd get for Turner on someone youre going to delist in two years isn't better than keeping him as depth.

I suspect he wants what most players want: a long term deal signed when his currency is high. Player manager tactics 101.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

An interesting article on the value of players traded in and out around the league.

Notably we have given other clubs the least value in terms of players, partly due to retention and partly due to not having access to the quality given to other clubs.

Possibly time to change that- we have a lot of similar types on the list: our medium tall forwards and inside mids, and to a lesser extent medium defenders for example could be used as currency to draw in some players or picks. I said earlier in the year that this trade period we should sit on our hands a bit but as the year has drawn out, retirements and injuries have shown we have some specific weak areas we should aggressively move to address if we wish to be a top team.

If we plan on persisting with our talls in the forward line I think we can afford to lose one or two and look to aquire some more roving options; Turner can't be expected to know which of our 4 or 5 marking targets to rove every time. Rat could be an option there but there's probably better quality to be found elsewhere, and our talls are simply too good to not be selected in the 22.

I'm not sure how to address shortcomings in the midfield, skilled 2 way runners don't grow on trees but that's something we can look for in the top end of the draft, and as for defense who knows where we sit there. I think playing Ahern in defense is another compromise to keep him in the 22 due to our abundance of good inside mids and no space in the half forward line. Maybe a pre season with the defenders can change that but I like him delivering the ball inside 50 more if we had better options for skilled defenders.

Would kill many goats to get Jacobs back on the field. His inside/outside use and positioning was sorely missed this year.

I suspect he wants what most players want: a long term deal signed when his currency is high. Player manager tactics 101.

He SHOULD be focused on WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN A PREMIERSHIP at his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies to those that hate this stuff, but...meh.

Start with picks 5, 23, 41, 70 (Brisbane) & 77.

Trade 1 - Picks 23 & 41 to Sydney for Papley and pick 52 (Papley equiv. to pick 18).

Trade 2 - Higgins and pick 52 to Geelong for pick 16 (Higgins equiv. to pick 23, noting we pay part of his salary).

Trade 3 - Wood to Hawthorn for pick 26.

Trade 4 - Dumont to Adelaide for pick 27.

Trade 5 - Macmillan to Essendon for pick 28.

Trade 6 - Picks 26, 27 & 28 to GWS for picks 10, 49 & 2020 3rd Rd pick (GWS gain 427 points this year, offset by next year's pick ~250 points).

Trade 7 - Turner and pick 70 to Gold Coast for pick 51 (Turner equiv. pick 54).

Outs: Higgins, Wood, Dumont, Macmillan, Turner, Wright, Thompson, Hrovat & Watson.
Ins: Papley, Zurhaar and picks 5, 10, 16, 49, 51, & 77, as well as the GWS 2020 3rd Rd pick.

Three first round picks, with a couple around the 50 mark which would be well placed for live trading.

With the extra pick next year, well placed to get a second first round pick next year too.

Rookies: Out: Zurhaar and Wilkinson. In: Hosie and picks 5 & 23. Go with a 38/6 senior/rookie list next year. With a handy rookie list of T Murphy, Hosie, McKenzie, Hayden & 2 x picks, aiming for at least a couple of the rookies to improve enough next year to be promoted at end 2020.

We do not need a rebuild, just some pruning and new plants in the garden.

But this is not all I want to see, I want a clean view of the list. My old scenario of Atley in the middle still annoys me that we just don't try it as we always get smacked by good sides in the middle and we use the same old players with the same old athletic / skill set.

TT is our most untouchable player, Cunnington next for mine. Not sure how many more I would think would be off limits for me.

Just a general comment - I think in the past we have traded to not lose as opposed to trading to win (if that makes sense). Not advocating selling the farm (and sometimes just one or two new players can make a difference) but I think some risks should be taken.

Rawlings will be in a WhatsApp group. Don't worry too much about official starting dates..
Zuckerberg likes this!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need help in coaching and development too ;)

I guess this is the issue with a league owning franchises in itself - they are horribly conflicted.
This is the problem with the league being it's own governing body! Totally compromised.

Needs, but never will be, an independent body/association that overseas all the leagues in the country.

It's nearly enough to make me stop following AFL, they're just lucky I feel no association to a local club up here in Qld yet. I'm sure this will come once the kids are old enough to get involved. I'll always be a NMFC member, but the rugged system makes it tough for the bespoke clubs!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back