2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to keep in mind that we've had virtually a full list for the whole year to date . That can change quickly and as far as players go the strategy should be to get the best players we can to build quality depth , regardless of type or position imo. Unless we have identified a critical pressing need.

Elliot is a clever player when on song and injury free but I would hope for better options than him as far as adding another classy player goes.

Therefore I think it's pointless saying we don't need another midfielder ,small forward, tall defender or whatever because that can change in an instant ,no matter how good your conditioning staff are players cop severe injuries,sometimes season ending. In my view you just keep strengthening your list with as many good players as you can get your hands on without jeopardising the harmony of our club which we've worked so hard to establish.

No way is Elliot coming in where exactly would he even play . You have Cameron , McCarthy and Rayner all in the forward 50 . Surplus to our Needs . 4th rounder at best . I would take jack Martin in a heart beat if he was available though . Hopefully dom can get the Gold Coast to delist him for nothing like Lyons .

If Elliott stayed fit he'd be the second best small option in our forward line and with a different set of strengths than Charlie. He's closer to how Lincoln plays, but Lincoln is able to very successfully push into the middle - Elliott's recruitment could allow more of that.

We're also extremely unlikely to have such a good injury run every year.

Also with our succes this year and the applause fagan is getting in the media we are turning into a destination club. . What clubs in Melbourne are honestly that appealing atm . Maybe Carlton with a young list . At 24 jack Martin would be a perfect get him and McLuggage on our wings for next 7 years.

Also with our succes this year and the applause fagan is getting in the media we are turning into a destination club. . What clubs in Melbourne are honestly that appealing atm . Maybe Carlton with a young list . At 24 jack Martin would be a perfect get him and McLuggage on our wings for next 7 years.
Would really be the sign of a huge change and message to the Vics if Martin stayed up here and came over from the dark side to us. Also sends a message to GC that if you get your house in order things can turn around for them as well.

Again, displacing whom? Zorko, pushed forward instead? But then who does he displace? Christensen? Linc?

The midfield rotation still needs added depth. We can’t have enough classy players rolling through there. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Linc with increased midfield minutes with another preseason under his belt. Williams would add a lot of class and run to that group.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The midfield rotation still needs added depth. We can’t have enough classy players rolling through there. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Linc with increased midfield minutes with another preseason under his belt. Williams would add a lot of class and run to that group.
I agree, we can never have too many classy mids. I'm just wondering who drops out of the best 22 to make room.

Any player in (assuming they are best 22) means one of the current side would have to not be playing seniors. Not sure who I would want to drop for Martin personally. The only option without anyone getting dropped would be Hodge retires (not a certainty) then someone, most likely Bailey goes back and Martin would take Baileys spot. Not sure I would be dropping Mitch personally, he adds that grunt and hardness our still young side needs. Not to mention he is having an amazing year playing on a wing.

Any player in (assuming they are best 22) means one of the current side would have to not be playing seniors. Not sure who I would want to drop for Martin personally. The only option without anyone getting dropped would be Hodge retires (not a certainty) then someone, most likely Bailey goes back and Martin would take Baileys spot. Not sure I would be dropping Mitch personally, he adds that grunt and hardness our still young side needs. Not to mention he is having an amazing year playing on a wing.
I reckon it'll be Bundy out. He's really improved and fought hard for his place as the season has gone on, but even so, he can be improved on. Martin can be a better version of Bundy.

If Elliott stayed fit he'd be the second best small option in our forward line and with a different set of strengths than Charlie. He's closer to how Lincoln plays, but Lincoln is able to very successfully push into the middle - Elliott's recruitment could allow more of that.

We're also extremely unlikely to have such a good injury run every year.

I thought that Elliot was too similar to Linc, but great point about Linc being able to spend more time in the middle dlanod. I’m on board the Elliot train now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Zac Williams would have just as big a positive impact on our side as Lachie Neale, his strengths are elite best in competition level.

His move into more midfield time because of multiple injuries and how well he has performed has increased his allure. We worry about who he replaces in our best 22 when it happens, he is a walk up start in our best 22 and someone will have to make way.

Do we need to mess around with our forward setup?
Good teams look to continually improve. What does it matter where the improvement comes from.

I’d take Ben Brown if he was available. Or Brodie Grundy. Bontempelli to.

Competition for places drives higher standards, and creates better depth. Depth is not something we’ve been tested on this season.

Good teams look to continually improve. What does it matter where the improvement comes from.

I’d take Ben Brown if he was available. Or Brodie Grundy. Bontempelli to.

Competition for places drives higher standards, and creates better depth. Depth is not something we’ve been tested on this season.

Who wouldn’t want to take an elite footballer but we’re talking about an injury prone, pretty average small forward who isn’t a clear upgrade on anybody in the team.

Also have to keep in mind who we’re delisting. Does Elliot take Keays spot on the list?

Who wouldn’t want to take an elite footballer but we’re talking about an injury prone, pretty average small forward who isn’t a clear upgrade on anybody in the team.

Also have to keep in mind who we’re delisting. Does Elliot take Keays spot on the list?
Sounds like you’re talking about Linc McCarthy.

You're describing Elliot, but you've also managed to describe McCarthy before we got him up and going. I have faith.. I also don't think he's an average small forward.

We haven’t picked up anyone yet!
Nor is it even really confirmed that we are chasing him.
Aw c'mon, don't go letting facts get in the way of an ongoing narrative. We'd have nothing to ramble on about or get upset with each about. Remember, we are in a good head space at the moment and need something to get cranky and disagreeable over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back