• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

if this does happen, I can't wait for the media to come out and label us a heartless club

hawthorn do the exact same thing, and its lauded as the best for all parties concerned

this is an absolute no win situation for us. he stays and he takes up a spot that realistically a kid should have. he leaves and we look like complete campaigners

if this does happen, I can't wait for the media to come out and label us a heartless club

hawthorn do the exact same thing, and its lauded as the best for all parties concerned

this is an absolute no win situation for us. he stays and he takes up a spot that realistically a kid should have. he leaves and we look like complete campaigners
Luke Hodge won Premierships and it is part if spreading the knowledge from Clarko across the league. When it come to the way Football is played post mid 30 flood all he is the Oracle.

Mitchell/Simpson and Hodge/Fagan go to WCE and Brisbane and look at how well the do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think you have to look at it from this perspective: what do we gain from Betts leaving?

"Draft picks" - no, he has no trade value. We'd be lucky to get pick 60.

"We'd play the kids, time to look at the future" - we don't have to play Betts and could play the kids anyway

"It's good for Betts allowing him to further his career" - how does that help the club exactly?

"Get his salary off the books" - he's only contracted for one more year and we'd gain far more dumping players like Jenkins and Gibbs

"It would make us ruthless" - how does being ruthless for the sake of being ruthless help the club?

And what would be lose from Betts leaving? It would hurt morale, we'd lose a potential great off-field mentor and coach, we'd improve the opposition for free, and the club would lose a marketing asset.

No deal.

What if it helps us bring Luko back Scorp?
I’m not saying push him out, but if he wants to go definitely don’t talk him out of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do we get from Betts staying?

He's kicked 24 goals this year against non-gold coast teams.

How much better will 33 year old Betts be in 2020? Or 34 year old Betts in 2021?

The expectation from the Betts camp is clearly that we either match and extend him to 2021 or let him go to someone who will play him until 2021.

Let him go. Win for all parties. We get cap space and a spot for a player who might be here when we next contend. GCS get some experience. Eddie gets an extra year and 600k.
24 goals which is more than our other small forward.

This isn't a ruthless decision, it would be a dumb one.

People entertaining it need to rethink very hard.

What if it helps us bring Luko back Scorp?
I’m not saying push him out, but if he wants to go definitely don’t talk him out of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only way I'd be placated. Luko in, and an amicable split without the fake news stories of betts desperately wanting out of the Crows when anyone can see any move by Betts will be for longevity of contract, $$ and setting up his future in coaching/mentoring.

AFC will have to decide if they want to offer a 'retirement package' to match other offers, and manage him over two years onfield, for the luxury of him sticking around when his playing is over. So many reasons to keep him but some good legit reasons to explore letting him go.

What ends up being best for the club, not Eddie, comes first, but surely there's a good in-between because ultimately I think we need him at the club.

24 goals which is more than our other small forward.

This isn't a ruthless decision, it would be a dumb one.

People entertaining it need to rethink very hard.
Saying he's better than Murphy is not a convincing argument to tie up a best 22 list spot and 600k of cap when we are in desperate need of refreshing the list

Especially not into 2021, which is what he's clearly angling at

He has no trade value whether standalone or part of a package. We'd still have to give up a lot to get Luko

Spot on his trade value his zero so we get nothing out of a trade. We have to let him know he will not be a 1st choice player next year and will make way for a youngster. If he still thinks he has alot more to offer than good luck o him. He has been a great servant of the club.

Saying he's better than Murphy is not a convincing argument to tie up a best 22 list spot and 600k of cap when we are in desperate need of refreshing the list

Especially not into 2021, which is what he's clearly angling at
600K ?? He wasn't earning that when he arrived, so what makes you think he'd be earning that next year as a 33yo ??

I couldn't think of many more players league wide who I'd like as part of our rebuild as a player and mentor. Of the 8 30+ players on the list he's probably the only one I'd want to keep.

We get nothing in a trade deal for him, and people bring up "Hawthorn blah blah blah".... Poppy is still there, Roughy got 2 more years than he deserved and even Silk hasn't been fantastic. Clarko still keeps the older guys who provide what he wants. Mitchell is already back there, and I'd wager Hodge will be too in the near future.

Once we let Eddie go..... hes gone.

I'm also questioning whether Betts is really cooked

Walker looked cooked as all hell earlier this year. We drop Jenkins, start delivering it to him and suddenly there is life left.

Are our structures, thanks to Ben Hart, making Betts look worse than he really is?

I'd want to see one final season from Betts before making that call. Get the right mix of players around him (that means playing both him and Stengle in the same side, bloody muppett coaches) and fix up the structure.

If after that he's cooked, so be it

This is what we should have been doing this year.

To me Betts has not been the same player since Charlie Cameron left.

Could it be that he's cooked, or is it that he currently doesn't have the right people around him to get the best out of him?

The club has missed the boat on this as they needed to answer that question this year as he only has next year left on his contract. Sadly we've been too busy chasing eighth and ended up having a completely stagnant year and achieved very little to help our list going forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, Gold Coast shouldn't be playing him either when they have guys like Rankine and Ainsworth on the list.

At least, there is no more on field demand for them than us
Gold Coast have averaged less then 12K people at their home games this season, Equal lowest in their history.

If they got Betts they couldn't afford not to play him!

Gold Coast have averaged less then 12K people at their home games this season, Equal lowest in their history.

If they got Betts they couldn't afford not to play him!
Wouldn't matter much

600K ?? He wasn't earning that when he arrived, so what makes you think he'd be earning that next year as a 33yo ??

I couldn't think of many more players league wide who I'd like as part of our rebuild as a player and mentor. Of the 8 30+ players on the list he's probably the only one I'd want to keep.

We get nothing in a trade deal for him, and people bring up "Hawthorn blah blah blah".... Poppy is still there, Roughy got 2 more years than he deserved and even Silk hasn't been fantastic. Clarko still keeps the older guys who provide what he wants. Mitchell is already back there, and I'd wager Hodge will be too in the near future.

Once we let Eddie go..... hes gone.
What exactly are you suggesting?

That we should stop Betts going to Gold Coast and hold him to his contract?

Or that we should match what Gold Coast are offering and give him another year in 2021 on top of his existing contract?

Well they should, he's the guy that makes their reigning B&F look silly every time he plays them!

No what I mean is that people who already attend the matches know who he is. But if they want to increase crowds, they need to get other fans in, most of whom don't even know the rules to the AFL up on the Gold Coast let alone who Eddie Betts is

No what I mean is that people who already attend the matches know who he is. But if they want to increase crowds, they need to get other fans in, most of whom don't even know the rules to the AFL up on the Gold Coast let alone who Eddie Betts is
I'm not saying Betts is the miracle cure. I'm just saying if you have a guy who can produce 4 goal of the year nom's in a single season, the kids may well want to come and see that! Especially if you pair him with Rankine.

I mean, what else are they coming to see. Another 10+ home game demolitions?

Back