Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that, but when your team is getting flogged week in week out not much a defensive line coach can do especially when the ball is constantly getting bombarded in your defensive 50 time after time. Anyway I agree I don't think Soli is the answer to our prayers in anyway shape or form. I just don't think he's as bad as made out to be.
If you've been in the same role for 9 years and haven't effectively put a plan in place... This is on him

I remain staggered that anybody can put a 100+ point loss to a middle-range side down to injuries.

I think we see this kind of response a bit. Like all footy clubs, we have a section of doomsday supporters who fly off the reservation when something goes wrong and are convinced it’s the end of the world.

And of course, we have another, calmer, more sensible section which encourages perspective.

Quite often - probably the majority of the time - they’re right, but I think the cooler heads probably get stuck in their default approach sometimes too.

An example is our preseason form the last two years. It was horrific, some flipped out, while others were totally relaxed as “it’s only preseason”.

I agree with the calmer head thing. But I think it's needed otherwise this place is an absolute sewer to try and read anything about footy.
It's already not great.

But on your first point.

- we are a middle of the road side
-doggies have been quietly building something pretty powerful. I don't feel great shame in losing to them. By 100 points of course but it was set up for it.
- I truly believe that our player fitness and conditioning is so far off the pace and we are carrying so many injured on field that it explains the losses, (throw in poor coaching and poor development as minor causes).
More so because those come back wins were so good for this group, but they redlined it for 5 weeks, and now it's physically and mentally cooked them. We saw in the first few minutes of games how we play and it's been that all year. 5mins of really strong footy where we either break through or fall away.

We see it every single year with teams limping to the line. I think it was Freo last year, back to back 100 point thumpings wasn't it? It happens when a team isn't physically there.

It's scary because we have so much to play for but when you have nothing left to give you have nothing left to give.

The past is the underbelly of culture, why dismiss it? Swans embraced there bloods culture, Brad Scott wanted to dismiss the shin boners past, which one has worked better? In 97 we were a soft team that Sheeds labelled us as Marshmallows, those players helped bridge that gap of toughness required to be capable of winning a premiership. I'm not living in the past, i'm applying whats worked for us in the past.

Crows? are as soft as us, didnt want to tackle us in that 2nd half, in 2nd half they looked like us against Dogs.
Swans are 4th last aren't they? On paper we should have won both games against them by 6+ goals let alone scrounge a win
Giants - well Hawks showed what there like away from GWS, we were lucky they kicked inaccurately. How did we go against them round 1?
North - yeah they were hard at us, but how is there season going anyway?

I'll give you Heppell, Hooker, Saad, Ambrose and Merrett (is that enough in your opinion?)

I’m not saying to ignore culture, I’m saying you can’t replicate a once in a generation team like the 2000 team.

As for strengh of the teams we beat, you’re bringing up an opponent that finished 13th that year!

I’m not saying to ignore culture, I’m saying you can’t replicate a once in a generation team like the 2000 team.

As for strengh of the teams we beat, you’re bringing up an opponent that finished 13th that year!

and I'm not saying I wish we had Jason Johnson but we need more players with similar traits that perform consistently. Instead we have 2 many baromoter players that appear to only play well if the team is firing on all cylinders.

As for strengh of the teams we beat, you’re bringing up an opponent that finished 13th that year! Huh? Sydney? one of the teams you said our generals stood up against? which year? im confused.

Last edited:
I agree with the calmer head thing. But I think it's needed otherwise this place is an absolute sewer to try and read anything about footy.
It's already not great.

But on your first point.

- we are a middle of the road side
-doggies have been quietly building something pretty powerful. I don't feel great shame in losing to them. By 100 points of course but it was set up for it.
- I truly believe that our player fitness and conditioning is so far off the pace and we are carrying so many injured on field that it explains the losses, (throw in poor coaching and poor development as minor causes).
More so because those come back wins were so good for this group, but they redlined it for 5 weeks, and now it's physically and mentally cooked them. We saw in the first few minutes of games how we play and it's been that all year. 5mins of really strong footy where we either break through or fall away.

We see it every single year with teams limping to the line. I think it was Freo last year, back to back 100 point thumpings wasn't it? It happens when a team isn't physically there.

It's scary because we have so much to play for but when you have nothing left to give you have nothing left to give.

I agree with everything you say but should we not feel ashamed to lose to Dogs? No disrespect to them but they won a premiership in 2016 with a young side, dis-assembled that side, re-built and now looking to go past us (have gone past us) in terms of developing a premiership ready squad.

I agree with everything you say but should we not feel ashamed to lose to Dogs? No disrespect to them but they won a premiership in 2016 with a young side, dis-assembled that side, re-built and now looking to go past us (have gone past us) in terms of developing a premiership ready squad.

I'd feel ashamed losing to gold coast and Melbourne at the moment.
I wouldn't feel ashamed losing to anyone else because other teams are playing decent footy.
Add in the fact I personally believe we are playing a VFL side each week what we are putting out on the park, I dont think we should be beating these sides.

Doggies still have a heap of players from that squad who as you say we're young. Their entire foundation wasn't rotten, just a few parts required replacing.
Where as we had a less then premiership list, gutted it with a drugs saga and have been trying to actually resemble a capable organisation again.

I've seen a bit of the dogs and there is something about the way they are playing that has that feeling about it. That midfield is crazy good but also they way they play, hard to explain.
Carlton will be there too soon, possibly next year so I don't get caught up in the kicking of a club when their down including my own. The wheel turns fast and nothing is ever as good or as bad as this industry presents.

and I'm not saying I wish we had Jason Johnson but we need more players with similar traits that perform consistently. Instead we have 2 many baromoter players that appear to only play well if the team is firing on all cylinders.

As for strengh of the teams we beat, you’re bringing up an opponent that finished 13th that year! Huh? Sydney? one of the teams you said our generals stood up against? which year? im confused.
The Roos that we came back from 70 pts down finished 13th in 2001.

Doggies still have a heap of players from that squad who as you say we're young.

I've seen a bit of the dogs and there is something about the way they are playing that has that feeling about it. That midfield is crazy good but also they way they play, hard to explain.

It's Beveridge, they play out of their skin for him because they trust in his vision. Twice he's done it now. When he arrived and they were in shambles and now after he's steadied the ship after they partied their heads off and divided.

We haven't played like that since Hirds first year when the team would break their backs to be part of something very special... We all know where we went wrong after that.

Interesting that the perception that Worsfold just sits on the bench appears to be a reality.

Apparently McGrath said that Worsfold wanted to give the players space.

He’s trying to develop on field leaders but we have too many timid types and not enough wanting to take control.

Devon Smith also said on the Oval Office that at GWS they were much stricter with positioning and Woosha pretty much just lets him play his own game. I hope that is Devon Smith specific because that’s horrendous if it’s a team wide directive.

He’s trying to develop on field leaders but we have too many timid types and not enough wanting to take control.

Devon Smith also said on the Oval Office that at GWS they were much stricter with positioning and Woosha pretty much just lets him play his own game. I hope that is Devon Smith specific because that’s horrendous if it’s a team wide directive.
So Kyle is confused by his own ideas, not Worsfolds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know of woosha’s meeting today with xavier today? Sounds interesting but cant view it as its for subscribers only
It's honestly, a nothing article. I'll sum it up for you and save you the reading

- Xavier Campbell and Woosha spotted eating Lunch at Squires Loft in Essendon
- Onlookers thought it might be the last supper
- Turns out they catch up for lunch once every month
- Article then goes on to repeat Goodards thoughts and feelings of Woosha's lack of emotion (doesn't believe it's an issue)

It's honestly, a nothing article. I'll sum it up for you and save you the reading

- Article then goes on to repeat Goodards thoughts and feelings of Woosha's lack of emotion (doesn't believe it's an issue)

You forgot that “the rumour mill went into overdrive”, apparently.

Thanks

So we have, The M.O. of player driven success, Head coach not talking to other coaches in the box except via Neeld, A leadership group no one voted for (a bit of an oxymoron if it's a player driven sucess model), Worsfold sitting on the bench with hardly any interaction to the box/players, Gary Lyon stating he's heard fairly directly that internally some players are screaming for instruction/direction, Dev Smith apparently allowed to run his own race on the field, An under prepaired preseason that has riddled us with injuries in the pointy end of the season, Players playing injured.

No, nothing wrong here at all...

Get rid of him the second our season is done.

He may very well be genuinely intended but come on, Blind Fredrick can see what's going on now, a rudderless injured cooked team with a coach that thinks tough love via redaction of input will some how compete in this era of chess match strategy and attrition...

Raw talent has floated us and Mr Fold but suprise suprise the bubbles burst finally.

Don't want Brad Scott. I might be able to deal with Ross Lyon, not from a game spectacle but from the point of view he ensures he's team's are one of the fittest and are tough in the contest. But boy you'd need to ensure Dodoro and recruiting team kept young talent filtering through because Lyon left Saints in a mess, Freo? still have the tools to build upon should he leave now.

See this is the problem - I don't give a stuff who EFC selects as a coach - Coach is selected and you have confidence they can do an effective job.

Do you regularly watch the GWS play ? They are one of the more unstructured teams going around - And Smith played as a forward at GWS in which you play a more defined structural role compared to the midfield - Please, don't believe everything in the media is true.

So we have, The M.O. of player driven success, Head coach not talking to other coaches in the box except via Neeld, A leadership group no one voted for (a bit of an oxymoron if it's a player driven sucess model), Worsfold sitting on the bench with hardly any interaction to the box/players, Gary Lyon stating he's heard fairly directly that internally some players are screaming for instruction/direction, Dev Smith apparently allowed to run his own race on the field, An under prepaired preseason that has riddled us with injuries in the pointy end of the season, Players playing injured.

You are quite right all of that has been written about this team.
Also written very well to make it sound as bad and broken as possible.

How about I have a go the other way?

Head coach has provided clear instructions to assistants for them to be empowered and run their lines, instead of having 4 coaches come to woosha with the info this is funnelled through one man to condense the message. A role that has worked previously for John.
This was removed as it didn't fit this group and occured in 2018 so hardly relevant, but we can cling on to history sure, I'll raise a 5 year drug saga with years of Worsfold tenure affected by this. Cool.

A leadership group that some would have voted for. Hep and Zac were always in. Hooker and Hurley taken out by the coaches as they are older and aren't needed in an official role to lead, just like BJ was. Younger players put in to help develop as leaders, to take charge.
I like the logic, excecution I'll accept could have been better if what we read in the paper from Damian Barrett and Caroline Wilson holds true. I'll let those two names hang there.

Woosh siting on the bench and not shown intereacting with the players or box for 4mins out of a 120 minute broadcast. Which is crap because we have seen it on film so let's put that one down to media sensationlism and petulant fans who also want to see a coach lose it in a press conference. Super strong argument that one.

Gary Lyon says. Ok so third hand info because we know Gaz got that from Tim who gets it from....? So whispers we have whispers. Awesome awesome.

Dev smith allowed to run his own race? I don't believe that was what was said. Dev smith and alot of players have said that they are encouraged to play with freedom. Freedom within a structure not make it up as you go along BS and not rigid no flair s**t. A nice happy middle ground, sounds fair no?

This I will agree with you on. We have an injured team and may not be fit enough. That ain't the coach.

Last edited:
You are quite right all of that has been written about this team.
Also written very well to make it sound as bad and broken as possible.

How about I have a go the other way?

Head coach has provided clear instructions to assistants for them to be empowered and run their lines, instead of having 4 coaches come to woosha with the info this is funnelled through one man to condense the message. A role that has worked previously for John.
This was removed as it didn't fit this group and occured in 2018 so hardly relevant, but we can cling on to history sure, I'll raise a 5 year drug saga with years of Worsfold tenure affected by this. Cool.

A leadership group that some would have voted for. Hep and Zac were always in. Hooker and Hurley taken out by the coaches as they are older and aren't needed in an official role to lead, just like BJ was. Younger players put in to help develop as leaders, to take charge.
I like the logic, excecution I'll accept could have been better if what we read in the paper from Damian Barrett and Caroline Wilson holds true. I'll let those two names hang there.

Woosh siting on the bench and not shown intereacting with the players or box for 4mins out of a 120 minute broadcast. Which is crap because we have seen it on film so let's put that one down to media sensationlism and petulant fans who also want to see a coach lose it in a press conference. Super strong argument that one.

Gary Lyon says. Ok so third hand info because we know Gaz got that from Tim who gets it from....? So whispers we have whispers. Awesome awesome.

Dev smith allowed to run his own race? I don't believe that was what was said. Dev smith and alot of players have said that they are encouraged to play with freedom. Freedom within a structure not make it up as you go along BS and not rigid no flair s**t. A nice happy middle ground, sounds fair no?

This I will agree with you on. We have an injured team and may not be fit enough. That ain't the coach.

Yet here we are being bashed by a side/sides below us on the ladder, one of who booted 21 straight goals for some "mysterious" reason, but no it's all just media sensationalism.

Tom Browne throwing around Woosha might be gone, Brad Scott a dark horse and that Brad would prefer Essendon over StK or the Blues... 😲

We hire that ******* if Woosha vacates I'm done...
If we dont make finals, Woosha being sent packing isnt out of the realms or possibilities.
I also have little doubt we would be Brad's first choice in that instance.

However, how much interest we would have in Brad Scott is an entirely different story.

Yet here we are being bashed by a side/sides below us on the ladder, one of who booted 21 straight goals for some "mysterious" reason, but no it's all just media sensationalism.

Two sides that shouldn't be below us. Both who are playing good footy and shock horror don't have VFL players playing, in fact they are dropping A graders because they can afford to cycle players who are in form.

Wouldn't that be a luxury?

But anyway it doesn't matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back