Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What frustrates me is that a year before Worpel's draft I thought he would be pick 1 in the draft. His attack on the ball was as good as I'd seen but then 'experts' started to say that his kicking wasn't good enough, he'd already developed and would never play consistent AFL footy. How he got to pick 40 is beyond me and every time I watch him play I wish he was at Carlton.

What frustrates me is that a year before Worpel's draft I thought he would be pick 1 in the draft. His attack on the ball was as good as I'd seen but then 'experts' started to say that his kicking wasn't good enough, he'd already developed and would never play consistent AFL footy. How he got to pick 40 is beyond me and every time I watch him play I wish he was at Carlton.

Not picking Worpel because he was already developed but Rayner going pick 1 at the same time was, and still is, one of the most curious things about that draft.

If I recall correctly from draft night, the Hawthorn list management team had someone else in mind for our first pick as they never expected Worpel to be available. They were completely shocked to see him still available there. Amazing that so many clubs could let him slip by.

If I recall correctly from draft night, the Hawthorn list management team had someone else in mind for our first pick as they never expected Worpel to be available. They were completely shocked to see him still available there. Amazing that so many clubs could let him slip by.
I wonder if there was a little bit of "Worpel is still available and should have gone x picks ago...wonder what the other clubs know we don't...let's pass on him" going on.

I wonder if there was a little bit of "Worpel is still available and should have gone x picks ago...wonder what the other clubs know we don't...let's pass on him" going on.
I guess naturally you'd have to ask those kind of questions to yourself, even if only to make sure you've considered everything. But ultimately you've got to back your own assessment of a player. You'll always be at least a step behind the pack if you're constantly taking your lead and making decisions based on what everyone else is doing.

I mean if you can't trust your own judgement in a job where you're meant to be an expert then what are you even doing there? I think that's why we've been so successful with later picks in the last few years. The only recent one where we went against the consensus and got it wrong was picking Lovell so early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember reading some private info regarding Lions draft night at the time.

They had a list of players(not all players available) for selection, and had rated them accordingly.

They had Worpel at 24 in the draft, and even that seems a bit rough at this stage.

I remember reading some private info regarding Lions draft night at the time.

They had a list of players(not all players available) for selection, and had rated them accordingly.

They had Worpel at 24 in the draft, and even that seems a bit rough at this stage.

There were multiple clubs who passed on him multiple times, surely it's not that every other club just didn't need his like.

ClubPBW (Picks Before Worpel)
Adelaide
2​
Brisbane Lions
5​
Carlton
3​
Collingwood
2​
Fremantle
3​
Geelong
3​
Gold Coast
2​
Greater Western Sydney
3​
Melbourne
3​
North Melbourne
2​
Richmond
4​
St Kilda
3​
Sydney
2​
West Coast
5​
Western Bulldogs
2​
Grand Total
44​

There were multiple clubs who passed on him multiple times, surely it's not that every other club just didn't need his like.

Adelaide
2​
Brisbane Lions
5​
Carlton
3​
Collingwood
2​
Fremantle
3​
Geelong
3​
Gold Coast
2​
Greater Western Sydney
3​
Melbourne
3​
North Melbourne
2​
Richmond
4​
St Kilda
3​
Sydney
2​
West Coast
5​
Western Bulldogs
2​
Grand Total
44​
Best available for many clubs, and many clubs simply didn’t have him rated highly

Adelaide
2​
Brisbane Lions
5​
Carlton
3​
Collingwood
2​
Fremantle
3​
Geelong
3​
Gold Coast
2​
Greater Western Sydney
3​
Melbourne
3​
North Melbourne
2​
Richmond
4​
St Kilda
3​
Sydney
2​
West Coast
5​
Western Bulldogs
2​
Grand Total
44​

That's only 15 club listed, where's Essendon and Port Adelaide?

That's only 15 club listed, where's Essendon and Port Adelaide?

Didn't have picks. Essendon moved all their picks in getting Stringer, Smith and Saad. Port traded into the 2016 and 2018 drafts as opposed to taking picks into 2017.

Not picking Worpel because he was already developed but Rayner going pick 1 at the same time was, and still is, one of the most curious things about that draft.
Picking Raynor over Worps is one thing, but Bailey, Starcevich, Wooller and Ballenden? Massive fail from the Lions there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back