List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lol we’re having the same discussion issue on our board. Some posters on our board, “well who drops out of our best 22 if so and so is traded in?”.
The difference of course being that the Lions are 2nd and the Suns are last. There are a lot more spaces to fill on the Suns even when their injured players return.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The issue of 'who misses out' is largely irrelevant since we have so many injuries all the time.
I've never quite worked out the chicken and the egg in the injuries vs success story
There's no doubt a fit list has a strong correlation with success but I also suspect players are more likely to play on with injuries if the team is winning-which in itself leads to a smaller injury list
On the other hand if the team is losing a player is probably less likely to play on with an injury if he thinks it may be worsened
Success breeds success and failure breeds failure

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Where are we going to fit all these mids? Bowes, Brodie, Swallow, Macpherson, Miles, Miller, Rowell, Anderson ect. We only just got Brodie a regular role in the midfield and GHS and Murdoch can't get a game. Flanks and Small forwards are the roles for those older players.
Anderson will start as a forward for the first couple of years, (if we get him) Very dangerous forward and good mark overhead.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
McPherson is a bull terrier and one of our shining lights.. he is best 22 in my opinion at many other clubs why would we be looking to upgrade him?
I think he is too for the time being, but after that stupid free he gave to Neale last game has put me off him a bit, also he needs to tidy up his disposal a bit, but he isn't alone there.

He also needs to work on his temperament.
The bloke is aggressive as but seems to give away stupid free kicks as well. I remember earlier in the year he gave away 4 free kicks in about 5 minutes. All great to be aggressive in the tackle but you need to control it and not let it get to your head like he did last weekend.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think he is too for the time being, but after that stupid free he gave to Neale last game has put me off him a bit, also he needs to tidy up his disposal a bit, but he isn't alone there.

He also needs to work on his temperament.
The bloke is aggressive as but seems to give away stupid free kicks as well. I remember earlier in the year he gave away 4 free kicks in about 5 minutes. All great to be aggressive in the tackle but you need to control it and not let it get to your head like he did last weekend.

Yeah I remember both moments... everyone has off days and he is still young so I have faith he will get more disciplined

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah I remember both moments... everyone has off days and he is still young so I have faith he will get more disciplined
No, of course, he is still a young lad who I hope develops more.

Saw Shaun Higgins wants a 2 year deal from the Roos and they are reluctant to give him one. That is the type of player worth going for if I am the club IMO. Skillful and can hit the score board. Since 2014 has played, 20, 24, 9, 21, 20 and 15 (this season) games, so he seems to be mostly over his injuries from early in his career. Still averaging 27 touches a game this season as well. Might not be in his prime, but would have a damn lot to offer the club IMO. However, I can understand the age concerns people may have.

The Suns have been in direct contact with Roughead about joining the club in a key off-field role, helping mentor the franchise club’s precious young talent.
The Herald Sun revealed last month the Suns were chasing Burgoyne, 36, to play on up north for one or two more seasons, but Roughead is also in their sights as part of a one-two recruiting punch.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The Suns have been in direct contact with Roughead about joining the club in a key off-field role, helping mentor the franchise club’s precious young talent.
The Herald Sun revealed last month the Suns were chasing Burgoyne, 36, to play on up north for one or two more seasons, but Roughead is also in their sights as part of a one-two recruiting punch.
I got a bad feeling this idea to copy Brisbane is not going to end well.

I’m super keen on getting Betts and Burgoyne through the doors. I can only see the positives. Sure they’re older players but they have proven to be extremely consistent and durable throughout their respective AFL careers. They have a wealth of knowledge on the game and would definitely be fantastic mentors for our young guns. I’m pretty certain that if we could land a couple of blokes of this calibre and retain them for future coaching roles once they retire our player retention issues would begin to fade away.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

The alternative is we do what we did last year and get sweet FA. The club needs to be trying whatever they can and work their way down from attracting a superstar to a veteran that can still add something on the field, with it being more likely we can attract the latter than the former.

The alternative is we do what we did last year and get sweet FA. The club needs to be trying whatever they can and work their way down from attracting a superstar to a veteran that can still add something on the field, with it being more likely we can attract the latter than the former.
Yeah, you've got to try to do something different, and leave no stone unturned.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’d be happier to spend a bit more and chase a Shaun Higgins type as someone suggested earlier who would actually add something more on field, someone who is still playing very good footy. We can’t afford players that will slow the side down even further. Anyway time will tell, I just have a bad feeling that’s all. Call it the curse of the Malceski.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I’d be happier to spend a bit more and chase a Shaun Higgins type as someone suggested earlier who would actually add something more on field, someone who is still playing very good footy. We can’t afford players that will slow the side down even further. Anyway time will tell, I just have a bad feeling that’s all. Call it the curse of the Malceski.
I’d rather an A grader at the end of their career than B- / C graders in their prime.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’m not for a second suggesting you copy Brisbane.

Hodge has been huge on field, playing that quarter back role, directing and setting up the team from behind the play.

But his influence extends to driving standards off field as well.

There’s lots of small incidental stories of Hodge seeing something, and either addressing the group as a whole, or having a quiet word to individuals to change certain small behaviours.

Having a champ of the game come in to help drive the teams culture can only be a good thing. Especially when he’s someone the younger players would have looked up to, and will listen to, and not feel like they’re being lectured to by the coach.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m super keen on getting Betts and Burgoyne through the doors. I can only see the positives. Sure they’re older players but they have proven to be extremely consistent and durable throughout their respective AFL careers. They have a wealth of knowledge on the game and would definitely be fantastic mentors for our young guns. I’m pretty certain that if we could land a couple of blokes of this calibre and retain them for future coaching roles once they retire our player retention issues would begin to fade away.
Totally agree. Betts and Burgoyne would really boost our profile in terms of the indigenous programs we run and I think that's possibly very intentional given we are likely to receive the Darwin zone for our academy later this year. They, along with Harbrow, will have the opportunity to help mentor and guide an enormous amount of indigenous youth throughout north/central QLD and the NT as well as those already on our list like Izak Rankine. Burgoyne was of course born in Darwin and would likely be very interested in giving back to his hometown in that regard. Also, Betts is very friendly with Brisbane's Charlie Cameron and Mitch Robinson so I don't think it would be difficult for him to adjust to life on the GC.

Improving our indigenous pathways through these mentors should really benefit us down the track. Having said that, Burgoyne and Betts are the types to have a huge impact on all players, not just indigenous. I think it's worth a shot.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

My mail is that Higgins has set himself very well financially as a property developer so I wouldn't expect him to leave Victoria if he was to move clubs

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
if you think it through getting Burgoyne and/or Betts will help us retain Ah Chee, Martin as well as play into the dearth of talent we possibly will pick up having Darwin as our zone pool moving forward It will extend Harbs career too as there are some grumblings he may not play next year

Back