Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be as certain as I can be that Bolton would go first. Price you pay for the stupid 100m penalty- can't have that in the DNA approaching finals. We need him, but not like that. Is over finessing (as Tommy would say). Needs to deliver more often and not over do it quite as much. Has crept into his game the last couple of weeks to levels that need to be pulled back. Wet didn't help his cause.
You may be right, but the 100m thing, I've seen Martin do it. No reason to get dropped. Was interesting when Bolton gave that handball to Graham (goal) after shaping up to snap on his left and thought I better not do that again like I did last week and got hauled over the coals for it. Learning the Richmond way.
Baker is more consistent, Bolton more damaging, but we have played every game in the wet lately, which favours a little terrier like Baker much more than Bolton, so will be interesting to see what they do. Bolton has more finals x factor. Stack to me looks to be running up and down on the one spot a bit. Needs to go back to HB to get his mojo back.

If Pickett plays it would have to be on the wing. Smooth mover who is good in space and traffic and looks a very good kick. Quick enough and a good mark (great spring). That would mean Caddy who might go to the bench/forward. I doubt they will drop Ellis as some want.

With Ross and Edwards so constructive in the middle, and Martin back I doubt there is room in the middle. Would think Baker is the first to go. Was good in the wet but perhaps the weakest link. Bolton may give way but I hope not.

Balta (for Chol) might come in as a smokey backup for Darling. Has the size and speed (i know but not the smarts - hence backup) to match him on the lead where Darling does most of his good work. Can also run off him because no way will Darling want to chase him, nor could he.

This might allow him to play ruck relief for Nank and Caddy to move forward and change up to the wing to relieve Pickett.
The worry is Darling killed us last year. As for Pickett the more I think about it the less likely it is in my own mind anyway at least, that he’d come in if both Martin and Cotchin do too.

I would be as certain as I can be that Bolton would go first. Price you pay for the stupid 100m penalty- can't have that in the DNA approaching finals. We need him, but not like that. Is over finessing (as Tommy would say). Needs to deliver more often and not over do it quite as much. Has crept into his game the last couple of weeks to levels that need to be pulled back. Wet didn't help his cause.
Great talent but Bolton does need some discipline, but not tok much as it will curve his creativity. Some of the things I've seen Pickett do you know this guy CAN play.

Can we please just keep this thread for Pickett related talk.

started to turn into its own Round 22 preview thread, all great discussion mind you..

I have moved it all to the proper preview thread.

Think so CM as I think carrying those three in the same team makes us a bit too small and probably lacking grunt and mongrel. KMac missing also takes size and grunt away and His replacement Caddy is too slow and imo unsuited at it. It’s good to see they’re working diligently this year to get the right mix before September. I was more of Stack at Wing HF , but I think he’s better down back for this year as he appears to be more confident in dismantling a forward.
Bloody tough decision but if you want a gut running winger all day long in a final and it’s betweeb kmac and cads I think it’s pretty obvious , gonna be some tears

Just wonder if marlion gets a game to try and quell the likes of ryan, w rioli wtc from weagles or cameron from bris .... as good as our backline is, houli and short will struggle with the sheer speed of the elite small forwards and we loose plenty of rebound as well if they are heads down defensively all game ... baker prob deserves his chance this week, but i reckon if ge struggles he'll make way for marlio in the final round

Pickett is only a possibility, but very tempting.

Dimma has said as much. In fact I'm not sure Dimma really knows where he wants to play him. I'd say they hoped he would do well off half back in the VFL on the weekend, but he was low impact, and moved into the midfield combination and the work rate lifted with it. Wonder if this confusion has any effect on picking him......

I agree...stupid 100m penalty- can't have that in the DNA approaching finals... :thumbsu:
Baker or Marlion...

Just wonder if marlion gets a game to try and quell the likes of ryan, w rioli wtc from weagles or cameron from bris .... as good as our backline is, houli and short will struggle with the sheer speed of the elite small forwards and we loose plenty of rebound as well if they are heads down defensively all game ... baker prob deserves his chance this week, but i reckon if ge struggles he'll make way for marlio in the final round

I think that's why Stack needs to come back into half back line to give us that run and carry.

I think that's why Stack needs to come back into half back line to give us that run and carry.

Marlion not as quick as Stack, Ryan and Cameron. Could handle Rioli though.

If Pickett plays it would have to be on the wing. Smooth mover who is good in space and traffic and looks a very good kick. Quick enough and a good mark (great spring). That would mean Caddy who might go to the bench/forward. I doubt they will drop Ellis as some want.

With Ross and Edwards so constructive in the middle, and Martin back I doubt there is room in the middle. Would think Baker is the first to go. Was good in the wet but perhaps the weakest link. Bolton may give way but I hope not.

Balta (for Chol) might come in as a smokey backup for Darling. Has the size and speed (i know but not the smarts - hence backup) to match him on the lead where Darling does most of his good work. Can also run off him because no way will Darling want to chase him, nor could he.

This might allow him to play ruck relief for Nank and Caddy to move forward and change up to the wing to relieve Pickett.
Its been pretty impressive our backs considering the height of Rance we’re missing and playing Short,Baker,Houli.
I really don’t see Short’s kicking as being as big a plus as some and even though Baker is shorter I think he’d offer a bit more in a tight spot tackling or moving the ball out quickly.
It’s good to be able to move the ball 55-60 mtr but if it ends up as a stoppage the majority of the time is it really as good as it looks?
I think it’s a bit overrated.
Pickett in for Short

Dimma has said as much. In fact I'm not sure Dimma really knows where he wants to play him. I'd say they hoped he would do well off half back in the VFL on the weekend, but he was low impact, and moved into the midfield combination and the work rate lifted with it. Wonder if this confusion has any effect on picking him......
He didn't have much impact down back because the ball wasn't getting there.

Half back flank is the easiest position on the ground. Get him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been pretty impressive our backs considering the height of Rance we’re missing and playing Short,Baker,Houli.
I really don’t see Short’s kicking as being as big a plus as some and even though Baker is shorter I think he’d offer a bit more in a tight spot tackling or moving the ball out quickly.
It’s good to be able to move the ball 55-60 mtr but if it ends up as a stoppage the majority of the time is it really as good as it looks?
I think it’s a bit overrated.
Pickett in for Short
Maybe so, but he looked so good in the VFL when he was let loose in the middle of the ground. Like last week, he'll probably play VFL again.

Phew what a big call for a player plucked from out of nowhere! :thumbsu:
I wonder as to how many of the egurls players Marlion has played against previously over in the WAFL?!?!

Interesting notion. I guess the oppo coaches have tried to quell him numerous times with sub-par players. Make him a late call up so no time to do much local research. ;) :D

If he doesn't play this week or certainly next he shouldn't play this year.

Looked a smooth mover in the VFL. Laid a couple of big tackles and tidy by foot. Struggled to get amongst it @ half back and not sure there is a spot for him in the midfield atm but you just get the feeling Dimma is dying to get a look at him. If they think he may be a weapon come finals then it's just about now or never stage.

Play Caddy on McGovern and Pickett on the wing? Sounds good to me.

Maybe so, but he looked so good in the VFL when he was let loose in the middle of the ground. Like last week, he'll probably play VFL again.
Your probably right, it’d be great to see him getting thru traffic at the top of def 50 and into the square at vfl I hope they give him another go down there

Are you saying that because Ross and Graham are young, Pickett should replace one of them?

Or, because they are young he should be added to the list I mentioned and we go with 6 midfielders with inside roles?
No shouldn’t replace either of them but think we need him aswel for inside grunt against this weeks opponent.

No shouldn’t replace either of them but think we need him aswel for inside grunt against this weeks opponent.
Yep and he has the versatility to play hb and hf
Can’t have enough players that can rotate through the midfield imo particularly ones that have more than one string to the bow

Like everyone is trying to work out, who does he take out of the team though. As I said, with 6 pure mids ahead, he won't be getting much midfield time, but I also can see being a mid at some point. I see your point about wanting a mature body, so does he play mainly as HBF, replace the Baker role, but be a winger dropping back, and then get 10% mid time? But you said you wanted him to take on the WC mids. Or are you counting the winger as a mid... but that's Gaff/Masten... need runners??

To bring him in to go up against their mids, will mean he'll need to be put ahead of a couple of players in terms of midfield time, in the list I mentioned, Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Graham, Ross.

Or do you want a bigger body rather than Stack or Bolton in the very p/t mid role?

The question still remains, who comes out for that p/t mid role? If Bolton and Chol for Dusty and Cotchin, who is next out? Baker? Caddy?

Yep and he has the versatility to play hb and hf
Can’t have enough players that can rotate through the midfield imo particularly ones that have more than one string to the bow
You get it Charlie . Crows were one dimensional in 17 and we beat them with a couple of new faces who offered some new tricks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back