EPL Matchday 2

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
Been watching all the highlights from opening weekend and I gotta be honest. I loathe VAR. It takes all the joy and glee out of scoring a goal. Everything is getting checked so everything it's like, well have we scored?!?

Watching the wolves Leciester game and I can't believe that goal was ruled out. Wolves fans go nuts. Then nah... just kidding. No goal.

I hate it. Can't believe were stuck with it.
As bad as you might think it is we do need it.
Rather go by a decision 100% guaranteed to be correct from several officials, than just one official maybe being in the right place at the right time.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I think it needs to be heavily fine tuned!

For obvious offsides missed and red cards and stuff like that.

But retaking a penalty because the goalkeepers back foot was off the line by about half a cm. I mean cmon. That offside chalked off goal for City, judging the players armpits. The Wolves handball disallowed goal?

It's s**t. It slows the game down and takes out all the joy of scoring a goal. Even obviously legitimate goals, they are like checking everything is ok, via VAR. It's super annoying. I hate it.

I think marginal offside calls need to be scrapped. Its too hard to determine when the ball is kicked, even on a frame by frame.

For the obvious ones, then yeah, go for it. Maybe bring back the daylight rule.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I think marginal offside calls need to be scrapped. Its too hard to determine when the ball is kicked, even on a frame by frame.

Agree, daylight rule is really the only way VAR and tight offsides can co-exist. It’s strange, the leagues already using VAR all seemed to report that marginal offsides were the most controversial decisions that kept coming up, yet nothing has been done about it.

They changed the hand ball law to in theory work better with technology, the same needs to be done with offside.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

But then how do you determine what's marginal?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Still going to be times when that will be too tight to call. Offside decisions are always going to cause some controversy

This isn’t like cricket though. There needs to be no grey area with offside.

I’m happy with it being at its current interpretation. At least everyone knows where the line is, and it’s applied as strictly as they can. Building in leeway or daylight rule only brings in grey areas which then lead to incorrect decisions.

This isn’t like cricket though. There needs to be no grey area with offside.

I’m happy with it being at its current interpretation. At least everyone knows where the line is, and it’s applied as strictly as they can. Building in leeway or daylight rule only brings in grey areas which then lead to incorrect decisions.
The grey area is when the ball is actually kicked. Not always clear, even. On a frame by frame.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I dont mind offside being reviewed. It's the interpretation of fouls and handballs that are just passing the buck of human decision making from the refs to the video ref that I'm not a fan of. Two handballs on the weekend had different decisions and were pretty similar to me.

The Wolves handball by Boly before teammate scored was paid and no goal given. Brighton in the wall against Watford same thing no penalty given. Is there a different rule for an attacking handball to a defending handball?

The grey area is when the ball is actually kicked. Not always clear, even. On a frame by frame.
Of course and that’s a different problem to solve entirely. Loosening the interpretation of the offside line only makes the system worse imo, and if you’re going to use technology you need it to be better than the naked eye.

I think it needs to be heavily fine tuned!

For obvious offsides missed and red cards and stuff like that.

But retaking a penalty because the goalkeepers back foot was off the line by about half a cm. I mean cmon. That offside chalked off goal for City, judging the players armpits. The Wolves handball disallowed goal?

It's s**t. It slows the game down and takes out all the joy of scoring a goal. Even obviously legitimate goals, they are like checking everything is ok, via VAR. It's super annoying. I hate it.
That wasn't why the pen was retaken though.

They should try and work out a way of getting an "umpires call" or challenge system into this rather than reviewing everything and still getting things murky.
Impossible. Refs keep the flag down in case the player is onside. They can't flag a potential offside and if it's actyally onside, restore the goal scoring situation.

I dont mind offside being reviewed. It's the interpretation of fouls and handballs that are just passing the buck of human decision making from the refs to the video ref that I'm not a fan of. Two handballs on the weekend had different decisions and were pretty similar to me.

The Wolves handball by Boly before teammate scored was paid and no goal given. Brighton in the wall against Watford same thing no penalty given. Is there a different rule for an attacking handball to a defending handball?
Yes.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

Didn't they change the rule in the off season just gone so that if the ball strikes the hand, even if it's an accident, and a goal is scored in the same phase of play it's automatically ruled out?

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets

There was a handball in the spurs game too that was let go just before the equaliser. Villa defender had his arm raised to protect his face and the ball clearly struck it and deflected to the keeper. Was a clearly unnatural position.

What is the rule now? Deliberate actions only?

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's worth looking back at why the offside rule was introduced in the first place. It was to avoid having an attacker stand next to the goalie the whole time. Clear daylight should be the minimum. Don't tell me an attacker whose upper body or left leg is "in offside" has an unfair advantage over his opponents.

Back