Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley 2: Septic Portaloo

Part 2?? Why hasn’t Ken been sacked yet???

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adds76

Debutant
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lots of things have conspired against the sides in the last 7 years, injuries, loss of form, weak second tear players, peaking too early with fitness. There have been valid excuses. Its not like we have bottemed out, far from it, ports been competitive. When was our last 100 point belting, i cant remember one under ken

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Koshie and keith seem to think ken is doing a good job, the bar is set high, they want port to play finals, which we are track to do. Ports blooded some excellent kids, boak is bog nearly everyweek, the older players are starting to find form, the list is finally healthy, and we are finding form at the right time of the season, instead of peaking early in the season. We have a good shot of getting into semi or even prelim, with our form. I see us belting north and freo. We are going that well, that both sides. Sanfl and afl sides are belting teams. How lycett isnt in the side is amazing, what does the guy do, go and have a blinder in sanfl. The players know they are on a role and want to be part of it
This has to be a club inserted mole.

Its not about this year mate. Its a body of Ken's work. He has been given everything to succeed in his tenure and not got close to it once.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
It's OK getting beaten by teams we should beat easily as long as we don't lose by more than 100 points. The Camry Crows only beat a Hinkley coached team by 84 points. Perfectly acceptable.

Come on people, why won't you just be good supporters and accept mediocrity.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Lots of things have conspired against the sides in the last 7 years, injuries, loss of form, weak second tear players, peaking too early with fitness. There have been valid excuses. Its not like we have bottemed out, far from it, ports been competitive. When was our last 100 point belting, i cant remember one under ken
The showdown annhilation in the wet in 2017 was worth a 150 point loss.

Have a look at the stats here. Ken should have been sacked this night.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At the end of day if hinkley gets us into another finals series we should be all happy, its a tough competition and theres 18 teams in the league, salary cap, draft, soft cap. The league isnt designed where one team dominates. Good teams arent at the top long, and bad teams arent suppose to be on the bottom long. Port have been a good side for a while. Its not the sanfl, forget about that mentality. The worlds changed
One team dominates every year.

If we arent aiming for it to be us more often than any other team we arent serious.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The 81-31 I50 count is just obscene. We’re so lucky they were inaccurate.

Or were we?

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thank god most of the supporters dont think like people on this site and are more balanced. I swear theres a more extreme older element in here, that just cant move away from what port did in the sanfl. We arent in the sanfl, we cant bully the rest of the league like we did. I would love us to do it in the afl, its alot harder because its a bigger competition, with alot more teams, and we cant recuit from our zone anymore, who where and are top footballers.

As supporters we have to stop bagging the coach. Fair enough if we are bottom 4, but not, when we are around about, and have a bright future
How often do you think we should win the flag?

If other teams win it more often than that why not us?

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Carn mate we won the interchanges that night. You can't win everything.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Wow, we're setting the bar high here folks.

We avoided 100 point reamings. WELL SIGN KEN UP ASAP!!!

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Koshie and keith seem to think ken is doing a good job, the bar is set high, they want port to play finals, which we are track to do. Ports blooded some excellent kids, boak is bog nearly everyweek, the older players are starting to find form, the list is finally healthy, and we are finding form at the right time of the season, instead of peaking early in the season. We have a good shot of getting into semi or even prelim, with our form. I see us belting north and freo. We are going that well, that both sides. Sanfl and afl sides are belting teams. How lycett isnt in the side is amazing, what does the guy do, go and have a blinder in sanfl. The players know they are on a role and want to be part of it
I feel like you could be a Russian bot designed to try and influence our collective feelings wrt the current state of the PAFC and it’s coach

Because your posts read like a Valium inspired dreamboat that doesn’t reflect reality for the rank n file

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
None of those SANFL points hold water. I think most people here believe we've had the players over the past 5 years to have finals success, but we've had none due to the inability of the coach to develop a mentally strong, well-drilled unit with a sensible game plan. If the top people inside the club have the same meek acceptance of mediocrity and non-achievement as you, we've got no hope.
I agree that we have a fine squad, and have had a very good squad over some years.
But, if you look over the fine detail rather than a general overview of the squad, I think you get a different perspective.
Quite simply this is the first real year where we have had an abundance of quality ruckmen, and reliable big men in general.
They thought Ryder was sufficient as an elite ruckman, and during most minor round games he was good. But I recollect he had a God-awful final with no tangible alternative.
We had strategic holes in the squad with few alternatives, that limited our chances of progressing in any final series.
I get the feeling this year that there are fewer holes, and if we make finals we will give it a fair shake. Not to mention the coming years.
Who is to blame for the wasted years?
Well, directives to recruiters has a large role to play. As well as a poor game plan, poor use of skills, poor selection alternatives, and, to me, an inability of the coach to work in real time during a game to remedy faults that seem fairly obvious.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
this game was most embarrassed i have been to be a Port fan. Absolute annihilated in every sense of the word
I remember half the team wearing long sleeves under their short sleeves and this probably set the tone for the day as half of them thought it was too cold and wet and didn't want to be out there.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Successful clubs of the past couple of decades:
Brisbane
Geelong
Sydney
West coast
Hawthorn

You'd have to say everyone else has been either average or below average

Troll Account said:
Thank god most of the supporters dont think like people on this site and are more balanced. I swear theres a more extreme older element in here, that just cant move away from what port did in the sanfl. We arent in the sanfl, we cant bully the rest of the league like we did. I would love us to do it in the afl, its alot harder because its a bigger competition, with alot more teams, and we cant recuit from our zone anymore, who where and are top footballers.

As supporters we have to stop bagging the coach. Fair enough if we are bottom 4, but not, when we are around about, and have a bright future

^^^
Is this the future?
Is this disruption?

Port Adelaide.
It's too hard to be good so stop bagging the coach.

for my own sanity I've had to hit the (rarely used by me) ignore button

I'm currently at 43 on ignore. 10% of them have boyd in the name.

Adelaide haven’t won since 1998 (21 years).

Brisbane haven't won since 2003 (16 years) and have been bottom four for the past eight seasons.

Carlton haven't won since 1995 (24 years).

Collingwood wins once every 20 years (1990-2010).

Essendon haven't won since 2000 (19 years).

Fremantle have never won in their 24 years history.

Geelong haven’t won since 2011 (8 years). Before their period of dominance between 2007-2011, their last flag was in 1963 (44 years).

Gold Coast has never won a flag in 9 years.

GWS hasn't won a flag in 8 years. It's an indictment that they haven't even made a GF with their list during that period.

Hawthorn went 17 years without a flag (1991-2008), then waited 5 years before their period of dominance from 2013-2015.

Melbourne hasn't won the flag since 1964 (55 years).

North Melbourne hasn't won the flag in 20 years.

Richmond won in 2017, but before that won in 1980 (37 years).

St Kilda hasn't won a flag since 1966 (53 years).

Sydney has won the flag every 7 years (2005-2012), but before that, they hadn't won a flag since 1933 (72 years).

West Coast wins it every 12 years (1994-2006-2018). This is probably the gold standard.

Western Bulldogs won in 2016, but before that hadn't won a flag since 1954 (62 years).

The question is - do you think all these teams didn't have gun players that their supporters believed should have delivered them a flag? Of course they did. A lot of these teams made grand finals that they were on the wrong end of. Comparing us to teams that have a group of generational talent (Hawthorn and Geelong) is silly because it's an unfair comparison - they had priority picks and father/son selections that augmented their list. Even comparing us to what Brisbane is now is foolish, because the Lions list is based on finishing bottom four for a long time.

Every team has talented players. Winning a flag is about how connected the team is to the goal, and what is most important to them. It's about having the depth necessary to fill in the gaps of injury and still win games of football that other teams would lose (like Richmond vs Port this year). It's about 45 players being committed to winning the flag, not just the best 22. And that requires discipline and the right mental attitude.

Ask yourself if Polec was playing for the team or himself last year?

Was Wingard sulking because we let his friend Trengove go?

Were guys like Ah Chee prepared to do what it took to make sure the team was successful and accept that they weren't going to get much game time over better players unless injured, and back themselves in, or did they spit the dummy and go elsewhere?

Did Lobbe accept that he shouldn't have been playing over Ryder because he's rubbish and he needed to work on his game, or was he resentful that he was playing in the reserves as backup?

Compare the attitude to guys who are going back to the Magpies this year as opposed to previous seasons. They aren't sulking or playing for themselves to rack up stats - they are playing their role and getting on with the job.

Motlop had 5 goals, but he also had 4 tackles on the weekend.
Drew had 38 disposals and 6 tackles.
Trengove had 33 disposals and 15 tackles.
Mayes had 22 disposals and 7 tackles.
Lycett had 30 disposals and 6 tackles.
Howard kicked 3 goals and had 4 tackles.

These are the types of performances of a future top two team. Working both sides of the ball. Playing like actual AFL players in the SANFL, rather than SANFL players hoping for a call up to the AFL so they can prove their real talent. Even guys like Mayes and McKenzie have suddenly twigged that it's not how many disposals you rack up that will get you in the frame for AFL selection, but how conscious you are of helping out the team.

It's been 15 years since we won a flag. Winning this year or next year would have us lagging three/four years behind West Coast and give us a better strike rate than pretty much any team other than the Eagles in the competition (augmented teams like Brisbane (got Fitzroy concessions), Geelong (F/S with Ablett and Hawkins) and Hawthorn (priority picks) don't count). It's not too hard to be good, it just takes time.

Damien Hardwick said it best on AFL360 last night: "When we get together as premiership players, we don't even talk about winning the flag. We talk about the journey it took to get there. That's the part that is enjoyable."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back