News Footy Department Changes and News Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he? Did he say that he simply doesn't care about quality of entries just volume? They are 15th in the league for inside 50s so he clearly isn't getting the message through to the players. But at least we have Tabs right?
Well, we don't have him. But when we did our team was much better.

Since you're drawing comparisons to laud their style and deride ours, it helps when the players the plan is built around are available.

How is West Coast winning so much ball in defense and not transitioning that into inside fifties when they are so skillful?

I must be misunderstanding you as your exact wording was "West Coast openly don’t care about quality of delivery i50 just aim to get as many as possible in."

That is incorrect and you have been called out for saying so, everything since has been a backtrack on a terrible terrible call.
It’s a bit of hyperbole in a footy forum - the fact is it’s quantity over quality for them

Of course this means they aren’t going to blindly kick it forward at every opportunity - no team at the elite level does this, but it’s a mentality thing, don’t be cute crafting the perfect entry

Last edited:

Since you're drawing comparisons to laud their style and deride ours, it helps when the players the plan is built around are available.

How is West Coast winning so much ball in defense and not transitioning that into inside fifties when they are so skillful?
They are what is referred to as a 'bend but don't break' style of play, they allow the other team to have quite a bit of the ball, they soak it up and literally catch them on turnovers and rebounds with their forward pace and spacing being very good so they create heaps of 1v1's up the ground.

It’s a bit of hyperbole in a footy forum - the fact is it’s quality over quantity for them

Of course this means they aren’t going to blindly kick it forward at every opportunity - no team at the elite level does this, but it’s a mentality thing, don’t be cute crafting the perfect entry

None of that explains your initial comment. You even just said "the fact is its quality over quantity for them" but initially said they don't care about quality and its all about quantity. Pretty confusing and not sure we are getting anywhere.

Our assistant coaches futures still up in the air apparently. Bell looking around but not that many changes expected as the contracts have been staggered. That's what was reported. Not sure how accurate.

Because they don't rush forward with long bombs and actually set up the ground and space through short kick and marks. Which is something we don't do. They are third for marks per game and we are 17th. They are 15th for inside 50s and we are 6th. The two game styles are vastly different regardless if we have the best 22 available. I don't understand how you can argue that they are similar.

None of that explains your initial comment. You even just said "the fact is its quality over quantity for them" but initially said they don't care about quality and its all about quantity. Pretty confusing and not sure we are getting anywhere.
I miswrote that then

Take this as an example:

First option inside 50 taken nearly every time, either to created space or the contest, no non forced lateral ball movement and subsequent changes of angle of delivery to set plans, it’s forwards see an opportunity for an inside 50, clear space and block lanes, ball comes in and someone hits the space

If the timing is off they either hit a pack and try crumb it or if it’s off a turnover there’s the obvious pick your free man out etc which is instinct

I miswrote that then

Take this as an example:

First option inside 50 taken nearly every time, either to created space or the contest, no non forced lateral ball movement and subsequent changes of angle of delivery to set plans, it’s forwards see an opportunity for an inside 50, clear space and block lanes, ball comes in and someone hits the space

If the timing is off they either hit a pack and try crumb it or if it’s off a turnover there’s the obvious pick your free man out etc which is instinct

Cool, so you are using a night game in the rain as your example for them not caring about quality of ball inside 50. Again why do they rank so low for inside 50s if quantity is all they care about? Only the Suns, Blues and Swans are below them.

Because they don't rush forward with long bombs and actually set up the ground and space through short kick and marks. Which is something we don't do. They are third for marks per game and we are 17th. They are 15th for inside 50s and we are 6th. The two game styles are vastly different regardless if we have the best 22 available. I don't understand how you can argue that they are similar.
They play the slow game that the rest of the top six teams do, lots of sideways kicks retaining the ball. It's why Geelong sat back and asked us to kick it to them so they could try passing it around.

Same plan.

Our assistant coaches futures still up in the air apparently. Bell looking around but not that many changes expected as the contracts have been staggered. That's what was reported. Not sure how accurate.
Not sure what the other discussion is all about but on this thread subject.

There was a bit of a rumour last off-season about Darren Glass. At the time he was only 1-year into his contract with Hawthorn. Perhaps he could be a target if he needs to get back to Perth. Justin Longmuir would be the other I’d hope the club are having a real crack at.

Certainly worth turning the wheel at Peel and the Development team. Don’t mind if Roger Hayden is kept in some role in that area.

Reading those recent reports, seems Anthony Rock and David Hale will be around next year to go again with RTB.

They play the slow game that the rest of the top six teams do, lots of sideways kicks retaining the ball. It's why Geelong sat back and asked us to kick it to them so they could try passing it around.

Same plan.

Same plan as Fremantle? This is as insane as your Carlton are tanking thought even though they didn't have their first round pick and had just sacked their coach for losing too many games.

Cool, so you are using a night game in the rain as your example for them not caring about quality of ball inside 50. Again why do they rank so low for inside 50s if quantity is all they care about? Only the Suns, Blues and Swans are below them.
It was the first game that came up when I searched, probably something to do with freo cookies or search history or something.

Because it was a massive issue for them at the start of the year, they would only play well for a quarter or two and it was enough to win the game, games like Geelong and Port early in the year they didn’t even crack 40 inside 50s, it was a big lamentation from Simpson in post game pressers. From when they’ve really started clicking and firing the last month or so they’ve started putting up the numbers that saw them dominate the back end of last year - 60, 65, 47(loss), 58, 51, 52, 63 (grand final win) to round off the year last season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the other discussion is all about but on this thread subject.

There was a bit of a rumour last off-season about Darren Glass. At the time he was only 1-year into his contract with Hawthorn. Perhaps he could be a target if he needs to get back to Perth. Justin Longmuir would be the other I’d hope the club are having a real crack at.

Certainly worth turning the wheel at Peel and the Development team. Don’t mind if Roger Hayden is kept in some role in that area.

Reading those recent reports, seems Anthony Rock and David Hale will be around next year to go again with RTB.

Yeah I'm done with it as apparently the Eagles and Fremantle play the same game style it's just we don't have Tabs that is keeping us down.

Same plan as Fremantle? This is as insane as your Carlton are tanking thought even though they didn't have their first round pick and had just sacked their coach for losing too many games.

Now I'm sure you're trolling. The Eagles play the say slow style of football as the rest of the top six. Remember how we, Fremantle, played Geelong and they sat back off the ball carrier taking the kick and let us run short leads into the space? That's the style they play. They want it back then they hold it. That's why they have lots of marks.

Did you pay any attention to the report about the Carlton fans? You should make your next username FingerNailDeep.

Now I'm sure you're trolling. The Eagles play the say slow style of football as the rest of the top six. Remember how we, Fremantle, played Geelong and they sat back off the ball carrier taking the kick and let us run short leads into the space? That's the style they play. They want it back then they hold it. That's why they have lots of marks.

Did you pay any attention to the report about the Carlton fans? You should make your next username FingerNailDeep.

Oh good one, using a recent Ross quote as an insult. Your'e quite brilliant Taylor. Am I doing it right?

It's amazing you actually think that Carlton were tanking this season and that Tabs will solve all our problems.

We even had 10 more inside 50s than them in that game, yet you think they don't care about quality of ball going inside? fu** me.
How would the oppositions inside 50 numbers have any influence on whether one team is patient and moves the ball around 50 prior to entry or take it in first chance?

Oh good one, using a recent Ross quote as an insult. Your'e quite brilliant Taylor. Am I doing it right?

It's amazing you actually think that Carlton were tanking this season and that Tabs will solve all our problems.

Nothing to say about your complete misread of what I said about West Coast's marking game and slower style?

Nothing to say about your complete misread of what I said about West Coast's marking game and slower style?

No because we are arguing the exact same point, so I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve when chirping up about it like it was some sort of amazing analysis. Which is the opposite of what you were saying earlier. It's almost like you have two people using the same account.

How would the oppositions inside 50 numbers have any influence on whether one team is patient and moves the ball around 50 prior to entry or take it in first chance?

Because they were able to kick 19 goals from their 50 inside 50s compared to our 2 from our 60, my argument from the start is that they play a style that values inside 50s where we just bomb it in and hope for a contested mark or a stoppage.

Your argument was that as a team they couldn't care less where or how it gets in but just as long as it gets in as much as possible. Which is incorrect.

No because we are arguing the exact same point, so I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve when chirping up about it like it was some sort of amazing analysis. Which is the opposite of what you were saying earlier. It's almost like you have two people using the same account.

Nah, they do base their forward movement off having two amazing contested marks up forward and share the ball around the middle a lot trying to maintain possession as much as possible.

Nah, they do base their forward movement off having two amazing contested marks up forward and share the ball around the middle a lot trying to maintain possession as much as possible.

Yet those two amazing contested mark forwards are ranked 20th and 45th in the comp but are both in the top 10 for marks inside 50.

Anyway wrong thread for this and we aren't getting anywhere.

Because they were able to kick 19 goals from their 50 inside 50s compared to our 2 from our 60, my argument from the start is that they play a style that values inside 50s where we just bomb it in and hope for a contested mark or a stoppage.

Your argument was that as a team they couldn't care less where or how it gets in but just as long as it gets in as much as possible. Which is incorrect.
Yeah I thought you had more sense than that, I’ll call it as well not getting anywhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back