Preview Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 17th August, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was down at training this morning....was showing an Adelaide based Saints fan the balance of RSEA Park as he only saw a half completed building this time last year.

Another thing I did notice were there were several players wearing the no collision/contact hats.

I've heard that Marc Murphy wants to wear one in the game on Saturday.

What is sad is that once they made it a professional game with drafts and salary caps the one club couldn't adjust to modern times where cash wasn't buying wins. The AFL literally evens the playing field and Carlton have been s**t ever since. Their only good era in that time was due to cheating. It's proper sad. The old VFL comp was like premier league where rich clubs just signed all the talent. It was literally buying Premierships. They mean very much fu** all to today.
We had lindsay fox and still couldnt buy a premiership.

Imagine defending a club who's former president wanted us removed from the competition.

I remember that all too well.

I will never forget his smug dial in Channel 2 I think it was,when asked about us being in the league(we were in absolutely diabolical form) responded with.."let them rot"....or words to that effect.

I loved it every time we belted them in the GT-LYON days....absolutely loved it !!!!!!

Have to say I'm feeling pretty bullish about where we are at at the moment. 2019 has been a really good season all things considered. We sit on 9 wins and have a good chance of making it a 10 or 11 win season. This is despite being without, in my opinion, three of our best four players for the majority of the season (Steven, Hannebery, Roberton) and a host of other injuries.

This year has seen the greatest emergence of youngsters that I can remember in a long time. It started with Battle in defence, as well as Wilkie who has been an outstanding pick-up. Marshall has been enormous all year. More recently it's Hunter Clark showing that he can become an A grader, and in the last few games I think we've seen that Coffield will also be a very good player for us. Max King, while he still hasn't played a senior game, showed an ability to tear up VFL games. Paton hasn't looked out of place at the level. And Ben Long is showing that if he can get consistency into his game he'll be a gun. This is on top of the emergence of guys such as Billings, Gresham and Steele as genuinely consistent, good AFL footballers.

I'm really excited about next year. I feel like there is the crux here of a very good team. Probably the one thing we still need to do is beat some top 8 sides, but we won't get the chance to do that this year.

So as to this Carlton game, they are a young side like us, and they fancy themselves as on the move. I'd love to see us make a big statement here and destroy them. I know that's probably a bit to ask, but I also think we match up on them very well, and should have some confidence after last weeks win.

I reckon Roma's year has been good enough to at least be in AA discussions. Okay, he's not going to take Grundy or Gawn's spot but at least include him in the conversation. There will be players who have had inferior years to him that will get a guernsey.

On track to be a star! Grundy has 100 games experience on our boy and Gawn about 80 odd but he stacks up pretty well:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Roma's year has been good enough to at least be in AA discussions. Okay, he's not going to take Grundy or Gawn's spot but at least include him in the conversation. There will be players who have had inferior years to him that will get a guernsey.

Would think he would be able to crack AA40.

Would think he would be able to crack AA40.

I doubt it, there are so many mids to fit in they will name 2 rucks at most and Gawn and Grundy still have a heap more hit outs at this point. He'll over take them in a few years any way.

Why wouldn't they have 3 rucks in the squad of 40
I guess the thought process could be that there’s no chance of having three rucks in the team so why bother having a third in the squad. At the same time though, that logic could really be used for any position so it shouldn’t stop them. I’m not sure what they’ve done the past here.

I guess the thought process could be that there’s no chance of having three rucks in the team so why bother having a third in the squad. At the same time though, that logic could really be used for any position so it shouldn’t stop them. I’m not sure what they’ve done the past here.
Well they pick 20+ midfielders knowing they will cull most of them, any way looking at past squads they usually have 3-4 ruckman/follower types to choose from

No chance of them naming three. A few years ago they only named 1. They need as many spots for midfielders as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back