Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
We need to start recruiting guys with that competitive streak in their game and that are willing to run both ways and put the team before themself.

We have no white line fever guys outside of Dev Smith and Connor Mckenna. Too many nice guys that want to look good getting 30 disp but getting murdered the other way.
Redman looks the goods, but you're correct.

The moment I read people wanting to trade Hurley is the moment I stop reading that particular post.

Our defence has gone to s**t without him down there, trading him away would be ridiculous.

That Fogarty shows a bit though!

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
We need to start recruiting guys with that competitive streak in their game and that are willing to run both ways and put the team before themself.

We have no white line fever guys outside of Dev Smith and Connor Mckenna. Too many nice guys that want to look good getting 30 disp but getting murdered the other way.
Yep, look how important Mitch Robinson has become to Brisbane

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Zak Jones from Sydney fits that bill IMO. he wont take a backward step and Sydney are re-known for being 2 way runners.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
As far as a ruckman goes, I would be looking at Scott Jones from Fremantle.
I REALLY like Sean Darcy, but so do fremantle and with Sandilands retiring and Lobb routinely injured/seen as a forward he might be next in line at Freo. It wpuld also likely cost a 2nd in this years draft.

Jones is buried deep in their ruck depth chart but showed a bit when he stepped into their team last year. Wouldnt cost much (4th rounder) and is a big lad at 205cm and 115kg.

Just randomly as a hypothetical, i wonder if Melbourne would entertain a Nathan Jones for David Zaharakis straight swap.
They need outside midfielders (they have Jones out on a wing) and we need inside midfielders. Jones has had a better year but Zaka if 2 years younger.
NO chance of happening i know, but interesting thought. I would certainly entertain it

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The moment I read people wanting to trade Hurley is the moment I stop reading that particular post.

Our defence has gone to s**t without him down there, trading him away would be ridiculous.

It has shat itself, but John also hasn't gotten any games into BZerk. Hooksy looking cooked shows us he probably needed to be managed. Ridley also could have gotten more games here and there. At this stage it looks like a plan (if one exists) to integrate them and create sustainability won't happen until next year. Problem with Hooker and Hurley is they'll age and see the game go past them in fairly quick succession. If we don't get games into the youngers we risk losing them and/or falling victim to a defensive sustainability gap while new young defenders get up to the task. So, while the idea of trading some older players (dodged that 😊) is an unhappy one in the short term, it has its upside. Young Fogarty, maybe?

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Guys, seriously, you're not getting the Fog. We signed Fog until 2021. Or Brouch.

You may well get Jacobs for free, which would be good for you, you need a better ruck than you have.

Jenkins would fix your short term key forward issues, he does average 2 goals a game. Looks like we want to salary dump him, how does a second rounder sound? Any interest?

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Guys seriously, you're not getting the Fog, or Brouch. We signed Fog until 2021.

You may well get Jacobs for free, which would be good for you, you need a better ruck than you have.

Jenkins would fix your short term key forward issues, he does average 2 goals a game. Looks like we want to salary dump him, how does a second rounder sound? Any interest?
0 hopefully.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Guys, seriously, you're not getting the Fog. We signed Fog until 2021. Or Brouch.

Third, middle to late.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

You have about as much chance of getting a 2nd round pick for Jenkins as we do of getting Fogarty.

No thanks to them

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

our KPF issues are more long term than short
I'd be happy with McKernan and Brown playing regularly if we had a young gun coming through the system
But we don't. so i'm not

JJ and Sauce aren't the answer for us
Brouch would be handy though.

Draper did his knee in May so not sure how ready he’ll be for start of next season. I’d imagine heavy 200cm ruckmen would take a while to get back to some form. Plus we’re not even sure Draper can play AFL.

TBC seems to always have some problem pre season so if he misses first cooper it could cost us again.
Maybe he's gone early this year?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

More a combo of Hurley going down and Hooker's elbow hobbling him
Agree that it would be ridiculous to trade him out, but only if we did something stupid like trade for picks
If an elite mid or ruck came up, i'd give up an elite defender since we're well stocked.

Like for like though.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie

So you want to salary dump him but still get a really good asset in return? Not sure that's how it works when you want to get off a big contract.

I'd boot Houlahan right now if the club could, spreading rumours about other players, and his general all round s**t attitude. He doesn't have a future in the AFL.
But Franga punched Woosha.

And Ridley has put in a trade request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back