What's gone wrong with Melbourne in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are people that surprised? Melbourne last year didn't beat a top 8 side until the last few rounds of the Home and Away season and were always scored heavily against, what saved them was their ability to score freely, once they lost Hogan their forwardline potency took a huge hit and with McDonald not reaching his ability of last year it's no wonder they've struggled to score, Weideman was never going to sustain his finals form and never showed anything like it in the VFL.

They might be able to combat that scoring potency lost if they learn how to defend but thats a big if with their current coach.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are people that surprised? Melbourne last year didn't beat a top 8 side until the last few rounds of the Home and Away season and were always scored heavily against, what saved them was their ability to score freely, once they lost Hogan their forwardline potency took a huge hit and with McDonald not reaching his ability of last year it's no wonder they've struggled to score, Weideman was never going to sustain his finals form and never showed anything like it in the VFL.

They might be able to combat that scoring potency lost if they learn how to defend but thats a big if with their current coach.
You lost me at Hogan

666 rule exposed their plan A
still waiting for a plan B

The 6-6-6 rule than everyone expected to help Melbourne actually disadvantaged us the most.

Goodwins tactics of running two in from half back at every centre bounce and having an open forward line was lost. And the coaching staff haven't been able to find a new plan that works

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

It's popular now to say Melbourne weren't actually that good last year. But in reality, the Demons were that good, and just about everyone who actually watched them did expect them to do well in 2019.

Here's a typical sampling: the Herald-Sun's preseason predictions: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/e3d044ef78787bafa530e04ea9610803

21 out of 22 experts tipped the Dees to make finals - Mick Malthouse the only holdout, for which he was roundly mocked.

9 out of 22 tipped the Dees to win the flag.

There's an interesting conversation to be had on what went wrong with Melbourne, but to say no-one should be surprised they're 17th is revisionist history of the highest order.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
I think it has something to do with coaching as well. from early on in the season, it was repeatedly pointed out by experts and commentators that most of melb players are stuck in the contest to get the ball while the opposition is spread nicely to run as soon as they get the ball. I saw this happening against the pies as well. Surely the coach should be able to change this over a period of 2-3 months?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it has something to do with coaching as well. from early on in the season, it was repeatedly pointed out by experts and commentators that most of melb players are stuck in the contest to get the ball while the opposition is spread nicely to run as soon as they get the ball. I saw this happening against the pies as well. Surely the coach should be able to change this over a period of 2-3 months?
Not with our list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
How much of Melbourne's list had career best years last year? A lot there best players are down on form other than Max Gawn that would big reason why they have fallen in 2019 not the injuries that some people keep harping on about. I expect them to be better in 2020 how much not sure, some holes have opened up now see the obvious is they need better runners Bradley Hill will come expensive but he is player they need Jack Martin hasn't lived up to his pick but they should be after him as well. I do think that Darren Burgess will work them hard in the off-season & get them spike in performance but have also heard he can wear teams down over time.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be honest, I'm not sure all that much has to go 'wrong' to end up down the bottom. it's a pretty even comp these days and the cliff can come quickly.
I agree, being s**t is like gravity all it takes is a push in the form of crap preseason, injuries, form slumps, crap selection and poor coaching.

How much of Melbourne's list had career best years last year? A lot there best players are down on form other than Max Gawn that would big reason why they have fallen in 2019 not the injuries that some people keep harping on about.

Brayshaw for mine has been the biggest let down, finished third in the Brownlow in what was a stellar year and has been nowhere near that level this year.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say lack of a good forward marking option in conjunction with a lack of outside run and quality forward entries are the main factors at hand.

Lost hogan, T-Mac down on form and injured, Weiderman down on form, Preuss hasn't been able to offer much himself or allowed gawn to kick more goals.

Also melksham was huge for them and he hasn't played very much this year IIRC

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just think the club may have gotten ahead of itself after last season. After 11 seasons in the bottom half of the ladder, they suddenly have a winning season which has the media getting all excited about their premiership chances. Will be interesting to see how they resurrect themselves in 2020.
Dey gots arehead ov demselvs bwut allsow dwank da barf worta

whatis

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Genuinely would love to know why you dislike Melbourne so much. I mean, everyone has sides/clubs they don't like - but I generally find that most people either don't care about us, dismiss us or feel bad for how inept we are - but not a whole lot of hate (and I could be wrong about that too).

So genuine question - what make's you dislike Melbourne so much?

That's just how I feel at the moment, not much deliberate thought involved. I think being emotionally invested makes things more interesting and when you follow football over a period of time some teams can just naturally fall in and out of your favour.

If I think about it, in Melbourne's case I think it's probably based on a number of factors. Garry Lyon's constant bagging of Naitanui over the years and refusing to acknowledge him in the same conversation next to Max Gawn. Garry Lyon again, constantly ignoring the Eagles last year despite how we were playing, ie. beat Richmond "well let's see how well they do two months from now in their next scheduled MCG game, meanwhile how good are Melbourne going every week etc".

But mostly it's probably the games we've lost to Melbourne over the last couple. One was lost in the last minute at Subi I recall, that was painful. And the win that got you into finals last year, I thought the players and media celebrated it too hard. Petty AF I know, but what else are you going to do when you're on the other end of that? Just get bitter I guess and enjoy the next win against that team a little bit more.

On field I don't like Viney, consider him a bit of a thug without the skills to back it up. Can't stand Petracca. The guy struts around on field, including even his run up for goal which he seems to miss more often that not. Melksham has a punchable face. Likewise Gawn and Oliver. Even Jones who I used to like was meek in the prelim final and even though it helped us out I lost some respect for him, I thought he was worst on ground.

TL;DR, they're all just superficial reasons that don't mean anything, but are just part of watching football for me. If it makes you feel any better I'd sooner see a Melbourne premiership than a Geelong one. Any team that beats Geelong wins points back in my book. Very worried about what could happen this year.

SAweagle

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I know right. Like imagine Dom Sheed taking a center square ruck contest. What a rib breaking good time that would be...

Haha imagine Melbourne not kicking a goal in an hour of footyball in a prelim final, what a heart breaking sad time that woulda been. Although to be fair most demons fans would have not been in the slightest bit surprised.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Brayshaw for mine has been the biggest let down, finished third in the Brownlow in what was a stellar year and has been nowhere near that level this year.

I think you can put that on the coach, playing him anywhere but in the middle in order to fit in the inferior Viney.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
What went wrong with Richmond in 2016? Maybe the same thing. They had finished 5th, 8th and 5th 2013-2015 (yes, bombed in finals). Still a nice progression. If someone had said 'I can see Richmond jagging a flag in the next couple of years', they would not have been laughed at.

The 2016 happened.

Melbourne have gone 17th, 13th, 11th, 9th, 5th (with a good final series) - up to end 2018. If someone said 'I can see Melbourne etc', no one's laughing.

Then 2019 happened.

It might all come good 2020.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
What went wrong with Richmond in 2016? Maybe the same thing. They had finished 5th, 8th and 5th 2013-2015 (yes, bombed in finals). Still a nice progression. If someone had said 'I can see Richmond jagging a flag in the next couple of years', they would not have been laughed at.

The 2016 happened.

Melbourne have gone 17th, 13th, 11th, 9th, 5th (with a good final series) - up to end 2018. If someone said 'I can see Melbourne etc', no one's laughing.

Then 2019 happened.

It might all come good 2020.
So Melbourne have 2 choices here.

1. Sack Goodwin and start with a new coach.

2. Keep Goodwin, clean up the people around him and Hardwick style "back their man" for one more year and see what happens.

Some list changes and improvements are required either way.

Which will they go for and Demon fans which do you want?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back