Preview Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 17th August, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
075FE61E-A22A-44A9-AB7A-46D2D17C382D.jpeg

6D707657-E959-46B5-88FA-E73FC25407B4.jpeg

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I doubt it. Not genuine full backs. If we picked a genuine saints side and a genuine sandy side only 3 rucks at the most would be in the 44. Maybe even 2.
Its not about the best rucks/followers of two sides it's about 18 sides. And if there were 4 players equal to the standard of Grundy they would be included in the squad and a panel of people would vote on which two players (or three if they were that good) will make the team as the ruckman/follower.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Its not about the best rucks/followers of two sides it's about 18 sides. And if there were 4 players equal to the standard of Grundy they would be included in the squad and a panel of people would vote on which two players (or three if they were that good) will make the team as the ruckman/follower.
If they were equal they would because you have to make a decision. I reckon Marshall is fantastic but it’s a waste to name him with Grundy and Gawn way ahead at the moment.

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
If they were equal they would because you have to make a decision. I reckon Marshall is fantastic but it’s a waste to name him with Grundy and Gawn way ahead at the moment.
But it is a squad to be voted on by a number of people, otherwise it might as well be a squad of 38 with Grundy and Gawn having been fast tracked into the final 22

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
But it is a squad to be voted on by a number of people, otherwise it might as well be a squad of 38 with Grundy and Gawn have been fast tracked into the final 22
So if plugger was playing and kicked 150 and next best was 70 and they could only play full forward why would they bother. You do realise they most likely have the 22 picked when the 40 are named.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
2016...Jenkins, Gawn
2017...Jacobs, Ryder and Kreuser
2018....Gawn Grundy Blicavs
Blicavs played as a defender last year not a ruckman.

I'll give you 2017 as a one off occasion where three ruckman were named in where there want a stand out one or two, and all three had an equal case of being the best ruckman in the competition. But that's not the scenario this year where Gawn and Grundy are the best two in the competition, with Marshall their below them.

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Blicavs played as a defender last year not a ruckman.

I'll give you 2017 as a one off occasion where three ruckman were named in where there want a stand out one or two, and all three had an equal case of being the best ruckman in the competition. But that's not the scenario this year where Gawn and Grundy are the best two in the competition, with Marshall their below them.
They maybe the two best ruckmen but the point of a squad is for it to be voted on by a group of experts, otherwise your suggesting it should be a squad of 38 and put them in automatically.....anyway this is boring agree to disagree

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
So if plugger was playing and kicked 150 and next best was 70 and they could only play full forward why would they bother. You do realise they most likely have the 22 picked when the 40 are named.
Do you think Marshall is a top 40 player in the competition? I do at this point, so it'd make sense for me if he made the squad.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had a look through the at the squads since 2010. There’s a bit of form.

2010: Sandi Jamar Jolly Mumford
2012: Cox Nicnat Maric Jacobs
2017: Ryder Jacobs Kreuzer

Not saying it will happen this year but it’s hardly some incredibly rare occurrence. This this notion that because the top two are locks = why bother naming a third is an unknown to this point. We’re only in the second year of the Gawn/Grundy era of dominance so there isn’t enough form in selection to go off.

Why wouldn't they have 3 rucks in the squad of 40

Mainly because they rate midfielders as the best players and already struggle to get enough in. The Dogs should have 3 mids in with Bont, Mc Crae and Hunter, WC Yeo and Shuey, Tigers Prestia and Cotchin, North Cunners and Higgins, Dees Oliver, Hawks Henderson, Cats Kelly and Danger, GWS Cogs, Taranto etc, Fyfe, Merrett, Sidey and Pendles, Cripps and Walsh, Neill, Zorko and Lyons, Matt Crouch etc.That's before they try to move some into flanks and wings and then set a few KPs in there as well.

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda

No dispute with Gawn and Grundy but you said that Witts would be no.3

FMD ! Are you kidding ?

Please don't throw meaningless ruck stats at me. Marshall is the third best performed ruckman in the AFL on a par maybe with Goldstein and McEvoy.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mainly because they rate midfielders as the best players and already struggle to get enough in. The Dogs should have 3 mids in with Bont, Mc Crae and Hunter, WC Yeo and Shuey, Tigers Prestia and Cotchin, North Cunners and Higgins, Dees Oliver, Hawks Henderson, Cats Kelly and Danger, GWS Cogs, Taranto etc, Fyfe, Merrett, Sidey and Pendles, Cripps and Walsh, Neill, Zorko and Lyons, Matt Crouch etc.That's before they try to move some into flanks and wings and then set a few KPs in there as well.
A bit generous with some of your names there.
Cotchin hasn't played enough this year. Higgins missed a big chunk too. Walsh? been a great first year but All Australian is taking it too far.
Cunnington has been very underwhelming since about rd 13, not good enough to be with all the other mids. You mean Dunkley instead of Hunter.
Henderson started well but has slowed down in the second half of the year. Billings has had a better and more consistent year than him in the same position.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon Roma's year has been good enough to at least be in AA discussions. Okay, he's not going to take Grundy or Gawn's spot but at least include him in the conversation. There will be players who have had inferior years to him that will get a guernsey.
In the end, I think his year has been one of the most underrated of all time. Struggling to see how he’s not ahead of Gawn, other than reputation.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Had a look through the at the squads since 2010. There’s a bit of form.

2010: Sandi Jamar Jolly Mumford
2012: Cox Nicnat Maric Jacobs
2017: Ryder Jacobs Kreuzer

Not saying it will happen this year but it’s hardly some incredibly rare occurrence. This this notion that because the top two are locks = why bother naming a third is an unknown to this point. We’re only in the second year of the Gawn/Grundy era of dominance so there isn’t enough form in selection to go off.

Marshall has been superb this year. He's more versatile than the other two. Can go forward and be a genuine threat and play key position defence as well. Grundy number one? Probably.

I disagree that Grundy, and in particular, Gawn, have been significantly better than RoMa. I reckon it will be a close call. If Rowan isn't in the best performed 40 players in the comp. this year, then I'm a Dutchman.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Preview is up.

Saints by 25.

:moustache:

Another brilliant preview George you have done a magnificent job throughout the year, not only with your write-ups, but also keeping the pack of rabble on this forum in check.😛😂

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
No dispute with Gawn and Grundy but you said that Witts would be no.3

FMD ! Are you kidding ?

Please don't throw meaningless ruck stats at me. Marshall is the third best performed ruckman in the AFL on a par maybe with Goldstein and McEvoy.
Ok. Just think he may by the committee because of who he plays for. McEvoy is probably third I think Marshall is the third best ruck in the afl. Said that many times. The aa committee has a habit of missing newer players. Don’t think we will find out because I think only 2 will be picked. If more it won’t be Marshall

A bit generous with some of your names there.
Cotchin hasn't played enough this year. Higgins missed a big chunk too. Walsh? been a great first year but All Australian is taking it too far.
Cunnington has been very underwhelming since about rd 13, not good enough to be with all the other mids. You mean Dunkley instead of Hunter.
Henderson started well but has slowed down in the second half of the year. Billings has had a better and more consistent year than him in the same position.

Walsh would be pretty close to the 40 man squad, he's been exceptional. I think he averages around 26 disposals a game in his first year. They will find a way to get him in the list.

Higgins probably has missed to much, but the point is that was off the top of my head and I came up with apple of elite mids that have to get at least short listed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back