List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Literally. Roughead. Irrespective of his capabilities. Sure he was supposed to be Grundy’s relief in Ruck from time to time. Can’t be any worse than when Maxy used to be pinch Ruck when Jolly was still with us too.

Fair point......but Roughead has been our best defender this year IMO and I think it is wrong to change that.

Last week proved that for me.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree with you there. Could we go Howe as a forward for last two weeks?

As I said last week let’s not mess with our defense.

Send Madgen forward this week......Moore takes over against the Dons.

If Moore trained with the forwards today, l would throw him in this week against Adelaide. The longer they leave him out, the less confidence he will have in his body, then the doubt grows.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think you leave Roughead fwd, and if they are belting us, you make the switch- otherwise we have no chance if Madgen starts fwd given his lack of experience.
Let Madgen start where he is most comfortable.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Moore trained with the forwards today, l would throw him in this week against Adelaide. The longer they leave him out, the less confidence he will have in his body, then the doubt grows.

Unlike most I have full faith in Moore.

He isn’t the same Moore from last year.

Whether it is this week or next week I am not fussed.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you leave Roughead fwd, and if they are belting us, you make the switch- otherwise we have no chance if Madgen starts fwd given his lack of experience.
Let Madgen start where he is most comfortable.

11 disposals 3 marks........I am sure Madgen can manage close to that.

Roughead beating Walker is more important IMO.

Unlike most I have full faith in Moore.

He isn’t the same Moore from last year.

Whether it is this week or next week I am not fussed.
I would rather it this week. Option of between a 95% Moore or Madgen, take Moore every time.
Unlike others l don’t mind Madgen, just not as a forward

You always want players that are basically unattainable.

No Cogs, Whitfield etc are unattainable I'm sorry I like class that makes our team better hopefully we pick up Jenkins that make you happy?

No guarantees that Grundy and Moore stay.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
11 disposals 3 marks........I am sure Madgen can manage close to that.

Roughead beating Walker is more important IMO.

It makes no sense to play Madgen fwd IMO.
May as well drop him and play Lynch and let Grundy play fwd while Lynch rucks for substantial parts of the game.
At least we have some potency with Grundy fwd - Madgen offers nothing fwd.

No Cogs, Whitfield etc are unattainable I'm sorry I like class that makes our team better hopefully we pick up Jenkins that make you happy?
We all like classy players, but as it stands we don’t have the currency for either of them unless we start offloading required players.
No guarantees that Grundy and Moore stay.
So what? They’re both contracted and required players at this point. Until either of them declares they want to leave, which is frankly unlikely, you can’t really use them as currency can you?

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It makes no sense to play Madgen fwd IMO.
May as well drop him and play Lynch and let Grundy play fwd while Lynch rucks for substantial parts of the game.
At least we have some potency with Grundy fwd - Madgen offers nothing fwd.

It made no sense playing Roughead forward but we still did it.....and failed.

I think Lynch is cooked this year by the way.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I've done my homework, would you like me to include the chronically injured too?:
Forwards - Mihocek, Cox, Reid (Broken), Goldsack (Broken)
Defenders - Moore (borderline Broken), Roughead, Dunn (32 years old coming off 2 ACL's in 12 months), Madgen (26 years old, has played 6 games and has had 9 marks and 6 goals kicked on him twice, barely a tall).

Just thought I'd confirm, are we suggesting we include 30-year-olds coming off multiple injuries or are we actually going to discuss genuine KKP stocks going forward?

I'd consider it the following:

Key Forward: Mihocek, Cox, Reid, Wilson, Tohill
Key Defence: Roughead, Moore, Dunn, Goldsack, Kelly, Keane, Madgen
Ruck: Grundy, Lynch

I've tried not to count players twice but it's worth noting there is flexibility to play those guys in other roles also. For example Cox in the ruck. We also have a habit of using other talls like Shaz, Howe, Langdon in key posts.

We have plenty of options but you're right to say that they lack durability. I think we need to work on that durability this off season.

TheGreatSwan

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dunno if pre-season helps you not be afraid of your own shadow. Bloke is an absolute pea-heart.

Footy forum too champ, not a fan club. You and Will could both doing with a bit of toughening up.

Do you even have a heart? All you do is whinge and sulk on every post. If you hate us so much why do you support Collingwood?

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Whilst we have an need for KPP, looking through our list, I still think we need some future A grade mids as well from the draft to help eventually replace Penldes, Beams in due course.

Need Hine to start getting creative and start identifying some quality young talent ASAP.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
I cringe every time someone mentions Tomlinson in here. GWS has had some talent pass through the club, he is certainly not one of them. The guy is horribly slow, never gets into the game and doesn’t have elite ball skills. I’d be surprised if many teams are chasing him and would be disappointed if we are. There has to be much better options in the draft.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Scodog10 where would you play Tomlinson if we had him?

You’d play him in his best position, down back, and then try to solve the KPF/ ruck dilemma I have. The one point I’d make though is of the 5 he’d be last on my list which would be:

HH>Finlayson>Hurley=Keath>Thomlinson

You could add B Cox or Corr into that mix. Between Cox, Moore and now supposedly Roughead (😏) we have options in that role, but it remains to be seen which is best, IMO. On another note your depth chart didn’t include Murphy who’ll be a KPD at the next level and I’d swing Kelly to the forward group.

HFF raised an interesting point re getting creative. It was wrong in relation to the midfield because that part of the ground will take care of itself when it’s time (I have a strong suspicion Kelly will end his career in the black and white), but spot on for KPD. Current category B senior players are Keath, Blicavs, Keeffe and Stein which is actually a remarkable hit rate given the nature of that pathway.

Perhaps it’s time we start looking at Olympic athletes who are damn good, but not world standard and potentially disillusioned with it as a career. Swimmers and multi discipline athletes with height. As KPD they need speed, mobility and good hands (no fumbling and strong overhead) the rest can be developed.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Whilst we have an need for KPP, looking through our list, I still think we need some future A grade mids as well from the draft to help eventually replace Penldes, Beams in due course.

Need Hine to start getting creative and start identifying some quality young talent ASAP.

Just WOW!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remember we have a good looking NGA big bodied mid in 2020 and Daicos in 2021 who look like rippers.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forgive me if wrong, but I seem to have spotted Hurley's name on here once or twice?

Is there talk of a possible move? Or just wishful thinking? He would be a wonderful addition if it could ever happen haha

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We seem to have our wires crossed. I am saying he was primarily delisted because he was not good enough... the shoulder issues stamped his papers early. Nothing he has done since makes me want to recruit him back to the club. We should never recruit for depth. Recruit for talent and best 22 impact. Ccover your depth by getting experience into your young draft talent.

Appears we're in furious agreement.

Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
So... just here to confirm what you said stated earlier was in fact bulls**t?

Because you literally just said we only have 2 KPD and 2 KPF on our list.

Im reading a total of 8 KPP players pointed out there. With some capable others not being mentioned - Howe, Murphy.

Also, we drafted Kelly.

Cheers. Try again next time
Sorry, I was under the impression we were discussing legitimate KKP stocks.

Reid, Goldsack and Dunn have managed a combined 7 games this year due to injury, with an average age of 31.5 and averaging 10.5 games each over the past 2 seasons of football. Realistically, most would be surprised if they play another 20 games of football combined for their careers.

Madgen gets monstered when he plays on AFL level talls (as mentioned previously, has played 6 AFL games and the 2 times from memory he played on actual talls he had 6 goals and 9 marks on him on both occasions), so I'm hesitant to even consider him a tall. Same applies to Howe and Kelly. Both too small to be considered talls and neither play that role (Howe has at times out of need rather than desire). At 190cm if we consider them as talls we can chuck Langdon, Shaz and Crisps in as talls too right? Na.

So, as mentioned above, that leaves Moore and Roughead in defense, and Cox and Brodie up forward. 2 tall forwards and 2 tall defenders, which is frankly unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back