Jack Darling

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure he could help provide a target for that rabble of a list to climb above 17th. The upgrade from Weideman is incalculable.

Preuss would be 80% of Gawn, Oliver can largely be replaced by any one of your slow, turnover merchant mids who can't hit a target with a 3m handball.

But the truth hurts I know. That preseason flag must seem like eons ago.
Ok Jack

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne would be a better side if they traded Gawn and Oliver for Darling.
A2B845E8-522B-4671-9F5F-1D3A665AC671.gif

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Good giffage. But yes, an influential, contesting key forward would solve some of the Dees problems. I'm not saying he is better than those two players. Just that he would improve the side's win expectancy for 2020. Gap between him and your 2nd best key forward (who he would replace) is greater than the gap between Gawn to Preuss and Oliver to 4th mid combined.

It's a nuanced argument so I'm not expecting all Dees fans to understand. Perhaps "Hotdees" is Simon Goodwin?

Hi Simon🖐🏼

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good giffage. But yes, an influential, contesting key forward would solve some of the Dees problems. I'm not saying he is better than those two players. Just that he would improve the side's win expectancy for 2020. Gap between him and your 2nd best key forward (who he would replace) is greater than the gap between Gawn to Preuss and Oliver to 4th mid combined.

It's a nuanced argument so I'm not expecting all Dees fans to understand. Perhaps "Hotdees" is Simon Goodwin?

Hi Simon🖐🏼
You do realise that without a midfield we can’t kick the ball to Darling right? As much as I rate Darling he really wouldn’t solve our issues unless he could play as an outside midfielder with elite disposal.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
You do realise that without a midfield we can’t kick the ball to Darling right? As much as I rate Darling he really wouldn’t solve our issues unless he could play as an outside midfielder with elite disposal.
Centre: Preuss, Viney, Harmes, Brayshaw
Fwd: Darling

>

Centre: Gawn, Viney, Oliver, Harmes
Fwd: Fritsch/Weideman

IMO

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah you've got me there, your list is looking a chicken treat right now.

Far be it from me to suggest hypothetical changes to a winning formula. 👌🏼
Mate, you’re underestimating how good Gawn is and overestimating Preuss. You also have to realise with a fully fit McDonald we are making a PF last year. So the forward line isn’t that bad for us with Fritsch and Melksham. Plus Petracca as a fourth.

Now if you’d said Yeo could be added to our midfield, or even Ryan to our forward line, then we are talking. Our issue isn’t the forward target, it’s the pace and creativity a great small forward brings and a genuine A grade midfielder. You’re also overrating Viney and Brayshaw. Seriously seriously overrating them.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Mate, you’re underestimating how good Gawn is and overestimating Preuss. You also have to realise with a fully fit McDonald we are making a PF last year. So the forward line isn’t that bad for us with Fritsch and Melksham. Plus Petracca as a fourth.

Now if you’d said Yeo could be added to our midfield, or even Ryan to our forward line, then we are talking. Our issue isn’t the forward target, it’s the pace and creativity a great small forward brings and a genuine A grade midfielder. You’re also overrating Viney and Brayshaw. Seriously seriously overrating them.
Gawn is good, I'm not disputing that. I just think you can get 80% of him with Preuss.

Your setup would be Darling, McDonald, Melksham and Petracca/Fritsch...which would actually be a pretty dynamic forwardline.

I'm not overrating Viney...was just keeping him constant in the comparison. He isn't a best 22 player on an AFL list. But he is in both sides for argument sake. Oliver wins a heap of pill but his disposal is Treloar like.

Anyway, you obviously disagree with me which is fine, some may agree. But the thing that is indisputable is Melbourne's list is not in great shape.

It's the Steven May of lists if you will.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Gawn is good, I'm not disputing that. I just think you can get 80% of him with Preuss.

Your setup would be Darling, McDonald, Melksham and Petracca/Fritsch...which would actually be a pretty dynamic forwardline.

I'm not overrating Viney...was just keeping him constant in the comparison. He isn't a best 22 player on an AFL list. But he is in both sides for argument sake. Oliver wins a heap of pill but his disposal is Treloar like.

Anyway, you obviously disagree with me which is fine, some may agree. But the thing that is indisputable is Melbourne's list is not in great shape.

Taking Oliver and Gawn out for Darling is robbing Peter to pay Paul

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

I agree, it’s in poor shape due to being unbalanced. We need to cut a few, trade a few and acquire two very different midfield types. We then need to focus upon changing the way we play. It’s possible to change it quickly now, as in this off season, but it’ll take a lot from the coaching group.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree, it’s in poor shape due to being unbalanced. We need to cut a few, trade a few and acquire two very different midfield types. We then need to focus upon changing the way we play. It’s possible to change it quickly now, as in this off season, but it’ll take a lot from the coaching group.
If I was MELBOURNE I’d be taking to Gold Coast and seeing what they’d give up for Brayshaw. If you could talk brayshaw into leaving he’d blossom and you’d get potentially pick 1 back, win win.

Back