FTA-TV Australian Survivor - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Has she never seen the show before?
It probably won't shock you, but apparently she hadn't.

John had also never seen the show, thus his idea that those with kids ought to visit the cinema first. Interestingly per Baden, Luke was nominated 2nd, but opted to let Shaun go ahead of him, presumably assuming that if there was an idol/clue to be found it wasn't getting past Dave.

It certainly wouldn't shock if only a very tiny minority - Andy, Harry, Baden - had seen the show before from the Contenders. I'm starting to get a real Fans vs. Favourites (either time) vibe from the Contenders they've cast.

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really think producers need to shoulder some blame in letting these tribal lines linger for way too long. It creates massive tribal divisions and, unlike the US version, Australian Survivor seems very "tribal," in that players just stick to whatever label is assigned to them at the start of the game. FCS Simon seems to have totally forgotten that the rest of his tribe was one vote away from kicking him out!

If they just allow Harry and Matt to be helplessly picked off while the rest of their tribe just throws challenges to protect Luke/David, the fault is theirs for not mixing things up beyond one tribe swap. Even the US seasons (with far less contestants) have multiple switches pre-merge to prevent tribal lines from sticking, otherwise it makes for a really dull game, with one tribe often staying together and just picking the other tribe off.

You want lots of inter-tribal mixing pre-merge because it opens up possibilities for the post-merge, with players more likely to make moves and work with others they've already met. If you let the tribal lines stick too long, players become "safe" with their decisions and realise it's easier to just stick to the tribe they know. Case in point, the group of 5 Champions with no intention of turning against each other.

Last edited:

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
It certainly wouldn't shock if only a very tiny minority - Andy, Harry, Baden - had seen the show before from the Contenders. I'm starting to get a real Fans vs. Favourites (either time) vibe from the Contenders they've cast.
Apparently Shaun has watched the show religiously since he was 12, so it's definitely not just Andy, Harry and Baden. I think he's shown some serious game awareness since discovering the idol trickery, but John/Daisy/Matt seem clueless about the strategy and Casey had no idea whatsoever (especially now we know Harry had the awareness to play the HII for her, figuring the Champions would split the vote with a majority for Casey, then Casey refused to join with them and blindside one of the girls -- infuriating).

There's a real stench around the casting of the Contenders here, shades of US production casting a group of clueless mactors who'd never seen the show on Redemption Island, to ensure Boston Rob could cruise through the entire game.

Ravenous Crow

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Jarryd Lyons, Vikings
Congrats to the producers for assembling what could possibly be the dumbest group of players ever seen on the show -- the Contenders tribe. Where do you even begin with the breathless stupidity displayed ever since their dominant pre-swap performance? Directly through their own stupidity they've cannibalised their own tribe and handed control of BOTH tribes to the enemy. Even that idol David found was a direct result of their stupidity letting him go first (um, did nobody watch last season when this exact same scenario occurred at the Mexican feast? Albeit an idol this time instead of a mere clue... very curious, that one...)

I'll give David credit in much the same way you'd give Boston Rob credit for running rings around a bunch of amateurs in Redemption Island. It's really easy to control people when they have no idea how to play the game, and that's the fault of casting. Consecutive episodes of Contenders literally sabotaging their own tribe to save the Champions (Andy last night, Casey tonight), you almost wonder if they are just production plants to create needless drama when the path to dominating the game was so bloody easy after the tribe swap.

If you had a competent group of savvy players against him, seeing right through his manipulating, he would've been out weeks ago. Not to discount that he's a great character but that idol in the popcorn seemed like blatant production interference to save him. For fairness sake I would hope the favour is returned to Harry tomorrow at the other beach because nothing could be more boring than watching that Champions just pagong the Contenders all the way from here to the final 7 (which is looking increasing likely).
I think it's mainly the contenders women that were really poorly cast.

The tiny girl was always going to be a first boot in aus survivor regardless of how good her social game could've been. Sarah seemed like a nice lady but was very much mother goose with no real grasp on game play. Casey and Hannah both had absolutely no idea in any sense, probably the worst players in the three years I've been watching, Sam was maybe passable but obviously under edited so hard to tell, Daisy I think is an okay casting too.

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard though to cast a few girls from different walks of life that have good social intelligence. They don't have to be super fans but just have good people skills and some grasp on strategy. Michelle, Tessa and Anneliese from s2 were all good players. I'd even take Tara over anyone cast this year.

It's definitely a shame because this season also has some fantastic players and good dynamics. David, Janine, Shaun, Luke and Harry all playing very entertaining games. Ross going full zen and chilling his way through the game off being too cool for anyone to want to vote out. Pia positioning herself very well after having to navigate very carefully through the early part of the game where she was always going to be 'keep the tribe strong' targeted. John being the lovable blue collar guy and cruising similar to Ross. Andy wanting to become the best player of all time and coming undone at the first step by having poor social skills and now unknowingly stringing along as a goat figure. There's definitely a lot of good stuff going on this season, should get much better with the bad and boring players out.

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't believe I'm saying this but I really hope Sunday's episode is another non-elimination twist that shakes things up, because both tribes are stalemates. 5-2 split at both camps so not even idols can save them now, meaning 2 of Luke/David/Harry/Matt are sitting ducks until the merge.

If they're going to persist with 24 castaways they need to have a switch at 20 (into two new tribes of 10) then another one at 16 (into two new tribes of 8) before merging at 12, to ensure tribal lines are too blurred for majority clusters of original tribes to align.

The Champions are really bloody lucky the Contenders are comprised of total idiots who willfully imploded their own game as soon at the swap. Daisy basically tanked the entire Contender tribe just to blindside Sam of all people.

Did people try and wait to do their poos at challenges? (incentives matter)
Not really, the toilets were pretty gross no matter where they were located tbh haha.

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Zoolanders idol find might have been rigged (it was 100 percent a clue if he didnt go first) but i dont care, that popcorn scene and subsequent 10 mins of him ignoring his family, stuffing his face and then doing the fake tears was better than any academy award performance will go down as my greatest moment in survivor watching history! Just keep him around til the final 4 please producers!

Those fake tears reminds me of Jonny FairPlay from pearl islands

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Once again, David = Gun. He's got to be the best player to play Australian Survivor so far.

Also wtf is going on with that Janine, Abby, Pia alliance? Janine was worried about David and Luke and they were willing to throw a challenge to save them and yet Janine is the reason behind David being in the gun because she told Hampson about the fake idol. wtf?

Losing a challenge on purpose never works well in the long run.
Think that's up there with "gotta have a resume to win".

In this case I can't see how it will result in a negative outcome later on. Could've immediately backfired, but that's another story.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I really think producers need to shoulder some blame in letting these tribal lines linger for way too long. It creates massive tribal divisions and, unlike the US version, Australian Survivor seems very "tribal," in that players just stick to whatever label is assigned to them at the start of the game. FCS Simon seems to have totally forgotten that the rest of his tribe was one vote away from kicking him out!

If they just allow Harry and Matt to be helplessly picked off while the rest of their tribe just throws challenges to protect Luke/David, the fault is theirs for not mixing things up beyond one tribe swap. Even the US seasons (with far less contestants) have multiple switches pre-merge to prevent tribal lines from sticking, otherwise it makes for a really dull game, with one tribe often staying together and just picking the other tribe off.

You want lots of inter-tribal mixing pre-merge because it opens up possibilities for the post-merge, with players more likely to make moves and work with others they've already met. If you let the tribal lines stick too long, players become "safe" with their decisions and realise it's easier to just stick to the tribe they know. Case in point, the group of 5 Champions with no intention of turning against each other.

Agree completely. They are just playing it safe and cowardly until they'll be absolutely forced to make a move. Hopefully Harry and Matt can pull a move off and get that game really going on their side of the island. Same too with Luke and Dave.

Let the wheelers and dealers play.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gees people over analyse things. Its a cast of 24 with 26 episodes. Its just like a giant drama like TV show. There are stars and there are bit part actors, The stars are stars for a reason. Sometimes the star dies early, sometimes its the bit part player.
As far as i am concerned this season has been the greatest entertainment i have seen this year and only wish it was every night
Just watch and enjoy and you will get less stressed over stupid things

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It probably won't shock you, but apparently she hadn't.

John had also never seen the show, thus his idea that those with kids ought to visit the cinema first. Interestingly per Baden, Luke was nominated 2nd, but opted to let Shaun go ahead of him, presumably assuming that if there was an idol/clue to be found it wasn't getting past Dave.

How do you join a show without at least seeing bits and pieces of it?

Once again, David = Gun. He's got to be the best player to play Australian Survivor so far.

Also wtf is going on with that Janine, Abby, Pia alliance? Janine was worried about David and Luke and they were willing to throw a challenge to save them and yet Janine is the reason behind David being in the gun because she told Hampson about the fake idol. wtf?
AK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>David. Luke is better than David too.

please explain your reasoning?
David, whilst entertaining, has basically been a tool for Luke. AK was at the bottom of an alliance, flipped it on its head and then basically got ****ed on by a tribe swap and despite that still managed to make a move that almost saw him stick around. He's comfortably the best payer we've seen, it was only a bitter Tara that ****ed him.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
David needs to play to Andy's ego now.

Yeah he's taken the piss out of him behind his back, didn't listen to the "Vote Daisy" advice which would have saved Luke's idol.

Get him back on side and pick off Shaun.

Andy engineers a split vote with the contenders to ensure one of David or Luke goes home.
3 on David, 2 on Luke.
Andy flips and sends Hammer packing when Dave plays his idol.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
David, whilst entertaining, has basically been a tool for Luke. AK was at the bottom of an alliance, flipped it on its head and then basically got f’ed on by a tribe swap and despite that still managed to make a move that almost saw him stick around. He's comfortably the best payer we've seen, it was only a bitter Tara that f’ed him.
Davids been down twice and got himself up again twice, now the 3rd time, He also got f ed by a tribe swap and look how that worked out for him. He has made a couple of mistakes but so did AK. Just by commenting to Simon that he was gone was brilliant, saved him maybe until the merge if they keep tanking.His fake tears has got him onside along with less suspicion that he has an idol. He is running rings around everyone. Just cos AK is a superfan doesnt make him a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back