Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Evening Sports Fans.

Big game for Ports this weekend.

Welcome to the late season preview thread where the hope and optimism I had in the preseason has waned to the point where I wondered why did I put my hand up to do this again?

Unfortunately my grand plans for a pasta filled banner were dashed when I inadvertently grabbed a packet of Fusilli instead of my preferred Paccheri so please be awed by my mad ms paint cut and paste.

Before I get into the game itself let me impress you with my in depth research skills as I spent 10 minutes or so looking at the North Melbourne board. Surprisingly enjoyed my time there. No threads saying no oppo posters a bit of humor and the occasional poster who had a bit of nous.

What I discovered was that we have some things in common. What you ask?

150 years for starters, a team of invincibles in the teen years of last century, surviving against mongrels that wanted to relocate us, important contributions from men named Sutcliffe and Houston (although Norths were a while ago) as well as both laying claim to to arguably one of/the best player of all time (No not Paul Giester), the list goes on.....

So on to this weeks game

The form line.... Ports LLLWW North LLLWL at sportsbet Port 1.75 North 2.08.

Why Ports will win.

After 7 years of trying it appears that someone may have convinced Ken that a tall presence in the forward line may be handy. Despite this I am sure that North fans will still nominate Sam Gray for their spuds that tears us apart award for the week.

Port have now kicked over 100 points two weeks in a row and sit with some slender chance of participating in early September action. One would think that this would mean that Ports will be switched on and ready to fire.

Why North will win

Surely North will come out ready to rumble after last week. Although a difficult year they had the balls to make some hard calls (sacking a coach anyone...). They have some great youngsters in Thomas, Zurharr, Larkey and Simpkin etc. The game is also at Telstra/Colonial/Ethihad/Marvel stadium dome and that generally does not end well for Ports. Ports do have a good recent record against North though.

Possible changes

Port
Maybe Burton, Butters for Bonner and Sutcliffe/SGray ? Does Motlop come in after kicking goals? (I don/t think so) . Does Port change to a more experienced ruckman (I don't think so)

North
Hrovat and Mckay are names I hear but I don't want to disrespect North by claiming I know who they should cut (Don't think it will be Polec though that AFL.com hints at).

Key Match ups

Ruck for me is always a key. Port have some variety there but with youth sometimes comes inconsistency and lessons to be learnt. Will Ben Brown get off the leash or be controlled by Clurey and the team defence. Fast ball movement worries me there.

I look forward to the noise our fans make if get on a roll. In my opinion we travel well to Melbourne and thanks to those that will get there as we always hear you when you get that Power chant going.

Thanks for reading and now like an entrant for the Amazing race or the rabbit at the MCG I am off.

My prediction

Port by somewhere between -28 and plus 62 (I still wonder which Port will tun up).

Attachments

• the-creed-v2.png
    the-creed-v2.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 226

I am scared to death. I don't believe in us. I think this game has "deflating loss" written all over it.

We are coming from two dominant wins, one at the Docklands; and they are coming from an absolutely ridiculous loss after an emotional win against Hawthorn in primetime on their 150th anniversary.

I hope I am wrong!

NFI. Ruck won't be a walk in park last 2 weeks. Therefore clearances and stoppages tougher. And any drop off in our midfield will then surface that word again "disappointing". Ollie has some demons to overcome at Marvel. But roos look to be limping to end of season.

I am swaying in direction that Monts and Schoey have now had enough time with this group to muster up a win.

Easy win. 100 point belting. Will north sack two coaches in one year, thats going to be the question

I'm starting to feel a swelling sensation in my nether region at the prospect of winning 3 games in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFI. Ruck won't be a walk in park last 2 weeks. Therefore clearances and stoppages tougher. And any drop off in our midfield will then surface that word again "disappointing". Ollie has some demons to overcome at Marvel. But roos look to be limping to end of season.

I am swaying in direction that Monts and Schoey have now had enough time with this group to muster up a win.
Schoey was in the coaches box at Alberton on sunday and mysteriously the magpies played an open fast link-up game.
Thanks Portwon good OP.
Think we'll have more to play for than the Kangas. This week 3 wins on the trot and another 100pts.
Boyd Woodcock being talked up as a chance to debut. Would any of you think Dooogs in to nullify Brown.

I am scared to death. I don't believe in us. I think this game has "deflating loss" written all over it.

We are coming from two dominant wins, one at the Docklands; and they are coming from an absolutely ridiculous loss after an emotional win against Hawthorn in primetime on their 150th anniversary.

I hope I am wrong!
Fear not we'll win this one.

Great write up Portwon but, going on experience of our recent past, I worry....

"Why North will win

Port have now kicked over 100 points two weeks in a row and sit with some slender chance of participating in early September action. One would think that this would mean that Ports will be switched on and ready to fire."

This is exactly the type of game we've been losing for a long time. However I think the Kangas bubble has burst and they're just waiting for that final bell to ring. If we're serious we should win and win by about 5 goals.

I was thinking the same thing - with thew Crows losing we have been handed it on a plate - and these are the games we tend to collapse in.

Probably the biggest mental game of the year by a long shot - win this and we will steamroll Freo the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back