Review Round 21, 2019 vs Sydney

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Duursma 21 wing
Amon 21 wing
Houston 20
Wines 19 (2w)
Rockliff 14
R.Gray 11
Boak 9 (5i, 4w)
SPP 5 (1w)
Sutcliffe 3
S.Gray 2 (1i, 1w)

Rucks:
Ryder 16
Ladhams 9

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
R.Gray 4
Ryder 3
SPP 2
Wines 2
Houston 2
Ladhams 2
Hartlett 1

1st Half - 13

Duursma 12 wing
Houston 12
Amon 11 wing
Wines 10 (2w)
Rockliff 6
Boak 5
SPP 4 (3i, 1w)
Sutcliffe 3
R.Gray 2

Ryder 9
Ladhams 4

2nd Half - 12

Amon 10 wing
Duursma 9 wing
Wines 9
R.Gray 9
Houston 8
Rockliff 8
Boak 4 wing
S.Gray 2 (1i, 1w)
SPP 1

Ryder 7
Ladhams 5

Notes:
- Lowest ever starts in analysed games for SPP. His previous low was 8 in Rd 5 this year and Rd 19, 2018
- Equal most starts for Houston in analysed games with Rd 13. He did have a higher attendance ratio for this game though (80% vs. 64.5%)
- Fewest starts for Boak in analysed games since Rd 21, 2018
- Most inside starts for Sutcliffe in analysed games since Rd 22, 2017
Billy Bob65 thanks for regularly posting this info in the review threads on this board. I enjoy your posts when you supply the info.

Can I ask where you get these from? Links? You work for champion data? someone else or just do your own stats? If so, do you have a blog site?

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Sutcliffe and Sam Gray are playing specific defensive roles that don't get them big stats but are important for our structure. I thought both had better games than the consensus here. There doesn't seem to be an expectation (or even a need) that they'll hit the scoreboard.

Do we have better options? Quite possibly. I'm not sure we need both in the side, but they play a part in our structures looking much better in recent weeks.

Work Hardery

All Australian
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Weird, I have no memory of Sutcliffe being in the middle at any bounces. Makes his 6 possession game on the weekend look even worse than it already did.
What even was his role on Saturday? A defensively-tagging forward who fluked a couple of goals? We played well against Sydney and Essendon, but I wouldn't want Sutcliffe playing in one of those weird Ken Hinkley thought up roles against a better side, like when he had Trengove tagging Rance in full forward a few years back :$

A victim of Wines coming into the side.
Yep could see it coming a mile away as soon as the late change happened. Was waiting for this stat to pop up in the thread.

Yep could see it coming a mile away as soon as the late change happened. Was waiting for this stat to pop up in the thread.

Just look at the fact that of 25 centre bounces, he's in the centre as inside mid for 17 of them...yet he could only manage two clearances. He was on the wing for two times the entire game.

Powell-Pepper was in there for 5 centre bounces and managed two clearances, FFS.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Just look at the fact that of 25 centre bounces, he's in the centre as inside mid for 17 of them...yet he could only manage two clearances. He was on the wing for two times the entire game.

Powell-Pepper was in there for 5 centre bounces and managed two clearances, FFS.

it was wines 1 game back tbf but that's every game wines has played this year

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Billy Bob65 thanks for regularly posting this info in the review threads on this board. I enjoy your posts when you supply the info.

Can I ask where you get these from? Links? You work for champion data? someone else or just do your own stats? If so, do you have a blog site?
If I worked for CD, I imagine I would've already received a cease and desist letter if I wanted to continue my employment there, as whilst this is a base level stat, it is still part of their suite that they charge clients for and could be used as a starting point for calculating more interesting data - eg does adding Rockliff to a stoppage group improve/reduce your chances of winning that stoppage vs. if SPP was in there instead.

With the exception of the centre clearances that are part of CD's package that anyone can access - they're just hidden under advanced stats in the AFL's match centre and not accessible until post-match - the rest of the posts are derived from my own work, which is why I use the phrase "analysed game(s)" in the notes section, as I'm only analysing 12-13 games per side in H&A, I can't definitely say that a player hasn't set highs or lows in any of the matches I don't have the data from.

I don't have a blog site as I wasn't sure what the interest would be, I've been doing this since 2015 (albeit then it was restricted to purely FTA games), but
it was only midway through last year that I thought others might be interested and started posting them on BF. I'm certainly looking at avenues that would allow the curious to browse and contrast more than one game, whether that ends up being a blog site or an expanded presence on BF with the data all in one spot, I'm not sure yet, but I'm happy to take suggestions.

Anyway, thanks for the interest :)

Last edited:

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryder doing the majority of the ruckwork is the key thing here. We want Ryder in the middle tapping down to Gray - that indicates lycett will stay out of the team if Ladhams can keep up his around the ground work.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's why we need to persist with him. I've never expected him to be a hard nut and fly at the contest, I just wanted him to go for the loose ball when it's there to be won and tackle when he needs to.

He was in the R1 side for a reason.

Hmmm I'd argue he does neither. He rarely tackles (1.5 per game, even Pittard averages 2), he avoids anything resembling a contest and will really only go for the ball when there is no chance of getting his hair ruffled.

His supporters say but but but he has an elite penetrating kick. Yeah! Even if this were so (and I would argue the elite bit strongly) we currently have at least two other elite, penetrating kicks (Hartlett, Broadbent) who tackle, mark, don't look like frightened rabbits at a contest. They and DBJ all run (albeit slowly except DBJ who is deceptively quick). I just think we would be better with someone that adds something more unique than long kicks, fast running and turnovers in front of goal.

If I worked for CD, I imagine I would've already received a cease and desist letter if I wanted to continue my employment there, as whilst this is a base level stat, it is still part of their suite that they charge clients for and could be used as a starting point for calculating more interesting data - eg does adding Rockliff to a stoppage group improve/decline your chances of winning that stoppage vs. if SPP was there instead.

With the exception of the centre clearances that are part of CD's package that anyone can access - they're just hidden under advanced stats in the AFL's match centre and not accessible until post-match - the rest of my work is my own, which is why I use the phrase "analysed game(s)" in the notes section, as I'm only analysing 12-13 games per side in H&A, I can't definitely say that a player hasn't set highs or lows in any of the matches I don't have the data from.

I don't have a blog site as I wasn't sure what the interest would be, I've been doing this since 2015 (albeit then it was restricted to purely FTA games), but
it was only midway through last year that I thought others might be interested and started posting them on BF. I'm certainly looking at avenues that would allow the curious to browse and contrast more than one game, whether that ends up being a blog site or an expanded presence on BF with the data all in one spot, I'm not sure yet, but I'm happy to take suggestions.

Anyway, thanks for the interest :)
Billy Bob65, have a read of this page on the footy blog site figuring footy. This bloke started his blog mapping where people kick scores from and working out probabilities and calculating XScore ie expected score from those shots and comparing them to actual total scores, in August 2015. I started reading it in April 2016 and in October 2017 Port Adelaide employed him in our Melbourne office as our Performance Data Scientist. He explains how and why at this page when he accepted the Port job;

Have a look around at the site and read some of his stuff. His twitter account, where he hasn't written much since he has been working for Port, but retweets some good stuff is at:

Hmmm I'd argue he does neither. He rarely tackles (1.5 per game, even Pittard averages 2), he avoids anything resembling a contest and will really only go for the ball when there is no chance of getting his hair ruffled.

His supporters say but but but he has an elite penetrating kick. Yeah! Even if this were so (and I would argue the elite bit strongly) we currently have at least two other elite, penetrating kicks (Hartlett, Broadbent) who tackle, mark, don't look like frightened rabbits at a contest. They and DBJ all run (albeit slowly except DBJ who is deceptively quick). I just think we would be better with someone that adds something more unique than long kicks, fast running and turnovers in front of goal.

You mean like Burton? He’s in the team as soon as he’s ready. I don’t trust Bonner in finals just yet.

I mean we need to persist with him long term.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You mean like Burton? He’s in the team as soon as he’s ready. I don’t trust Bonner in finals just yet.

I mean we need to persist with him long term.
Well I think Broadbent has edged above Bonner in terms of what he offers to our defensive structure, so I think Burton is a natural replacement for Bonner, although I am yet to be convinced Burton should be locked in as a defender over the long term.

I certainly think Bonner could be forged into a formidable player long-term with his natural abilities. And versatile too.

Back