List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We lead the league in clearances and contested possessions, and Wines hasn't hardly played this year.

He's right at the peak of 'sell high' if that's what we want to do to set up this team for the next ten years.

We lead the league in clearances and contested possessions, and Wines hasn't hardly played this year.

He's right at the peak of 'sell high' if that's what we want to do to set up this team for the next ten years.

yep wines is a good footballer but is he good enough???? , i mean our club has made it clear that they want players in the middle that have great skills

Wines hasn't played many games this year and the team is still leading the league in clearances and contested possessions. It's not like we'd really miss his output on field.

As long as we keep Powell-Pepper (who I've always believed we recruited just in case Wines wanted to go to Victoria - which he will do at the end of this contract anyway...I reckon the club has been aware of his career being planned out by his father for some time), I'm perfectly fine with trading him for a price that will fetch us Lukosius.
Lots of speculation there. Any basis for it?

Bonner has strengths. A penetrating kick that can hit a target. Offers run from defence, and can weave through traffic. But for me that isn't enough to outweigh his softness. Maybe the coaches can toughen him up. It's a wait and see until next season.
Maybe I'm forgetting, but I can't recall much run or weaving from him...and for a supposedly good kick he turns it over a lot. I too hope he'll turn into a player, but he doesn't deserve to be in the side now, imo.

Lots of speculation there. Any basis for it?

What, the 'we recruited Powell-Pepper because we thought Wines would leave' part? Just common sense. It's not like you can't watch them both and see that they are pretty much the exact same player. In fact, Powell-Pepper is better, because at least he can be put on a wing and not look like a three toed sloth.

It's the reason that Wines can't do anything but play inside mid that I was against him being appointed captain, especially after we recruited Rockliff. He doesn't have the explosive power to break tackles - it's all torque and no acceleration. He's not someone who can inspire the team to greatness with a line breaking run or bobbing up for a captain's goal because he's busted his arse with gut running.

Now, in the right system, he'd thrive - a team surrounded by speed like Richmond would be perfect for him. He could just shovel the ball out at stoppages and let the other players do the running. But if we're going down the 'every player must be able to play two positions' path, Wines is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'd happily take Angus Brayshaw in exchange for Wines. There was some talk of him recently being traded, with Freo interested.

He had an excellent 2018, finishing 3rd in the Brownlow, but has had a pretty average 2019. I think he'd compliment our midfield better than Wines does. I'm pretty sure his Father even has a small connection to Port.

As far as steak knife options go, Harrison Petty and Jayden Hunt interest me.

I would see losing Wines as disastrous.

We have a few good young midfielders coming through, but in a few years we will be down Gray, Boak and Rockliff on our current rotation so we are already up against it to replace all 3 of them, let alone having to replace Wines as well.

Houston gives me some hope but other than him who do we have who is likely to be a genuine A grader in 3-4 years time?

SPP has been OK but would need a big step up and is apparently on the outer anyway.

Atley and Drew have potential as well, but I haven’t seen enough to be confident.

Rozee, Butters and Duursma are all fantastic prospects but I’m not sure they’ll be ready to carry our midfield in 3-4 years.

Maybe we are planning to just bottom out around 2024 but I would really prefer we hang onto Wines and try and find someone to help him out rather than hoping a bunch of 22 to 24 year olds can match it with the best midfielders in the competition.

Wines hasn't played many games this year and the team is still leading the league in clearances and contested possessions. It's not like we'd really miss his output on field.

As long as we keep Powell-Pepper (who I've always believed we recruited just in case Wines wanted to go to Victoria - which he will do at the end of this contract anyway...I reckon the club has been aware of his career being planned out by his father for some time), I'm perfectly fine with trading him for a price that will fetch us Lukosius.
Yeah his dad seems to have massive influence on the young fella’s career planning and decisions.
And his mum on his other decisions, i.e. being advised not to find a partner in Adelaide.

Yeah his dad seems to have massive influence on the young fella’s career planning and decisions.
And his mum on his other decisions, i.e. being advised not to find a partner in Adelaide.

He's a mummy boy and not in the nicest way, he's best footy last year was when his mum was in town babying him, she left after he re-signed and then he fell into himself and instead if getting angry when he fails he gets depressed and sooky at himself, good footballer good bloke but not good enough, can't kick has little speed and agility , thanks Ollie but it's not 2014 anymore best we strike while we can unlike lobbe and Hartlett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point, I forgot about that one. Maybe had it in his mind to leave after the current deal anyway.

GC get priority pick.

Trade Wines and a couple of other players (steak knifes) for picks 1 and 2?

If Wines does go, make a late play for Coniglio ? Wines out of Ryders big contract ending fress up a lot of Money, and we a long way under the salary cap as it is.

What, the 'we recruited Powell-Pepper because we thought Wines would leave' part? Just common sense. It's not like you can't watch them both and see that they are pretty much the exact same player. In fact, Powell-Pepper is better, because at least he can be put on a wing and not look like a three toed sloth.

It's the reason that Wines can't do anything but play inside mid that I was against him being appointed captain, especially after we recruited Rockliff. He doesn't have the explosive power to break tackles - it's all torque and no acceleration. He's not someone who can inspire the team to greatness with a line breaking run or bobbing up for a captain's goal because he's busted his arse with gut running.

Now, in the right system, he'd thrive - a team surrounded by speed like Richmond would be perfect for him. He could just shovel the ball out at stoppages and let the other players do the running. But if we're going down the 'every player must be able to play two positions' path, Wines is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb.
i believe SPP is better because he can actually break free from the stoppage, something i havent seen Wines do in a long time, the disposal efficiency is about the same. Wines i think has also made a habit of letting oppo teams dominate out of the mid for periods of play that have allowed them to score heavily on us. If we believe in Drew then i can live without Wines but i dont think it will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back