Recommitted Shaun Higgins [signed a contract to the end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sauras

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People making out like 31 is bordering dinosaur age... hes still a good player, prob the best Nth have (ok ok Cunnington is alright for a plodder but thats it). If he costs you nothing gee id be all over him.

People making out like 31 is bordering dinosaur age... hes still a good player, prob the best Nth have (ok ok Cunnington is alright for a plodder but thats it). If he costs you nothing gee id be all over him.
He won't cost nothing though. North people reckon he's worth a first, realistically he's worth a late second/early third just based on his age.

It's a no from me

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Pick 70 to 80. That's all Mitchell and Lewis were worth.

In all seriousness, if a decorated player such as Higgins chooses to leave. Surely NM just accommodate the move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Late second is about right.

Would take that in a heart beat. Him going means a restructure of midfield is needed, which is exactly what needs to happen. Himself is an aging qulity mid, in his abscence, a cluster of players need to step up and this will ultimately result in the club moving forward. Bulldogs became better when Griffen left as everyone stepped up. Also higgin's departure must also follow with ziebell and cunnington given new roles. Both cannot be at the center square but are very useful general play stoppage players. New ideas needed, new thinking, we need to think outside of the existing north melbourne model.

RooBoy44Life

Draftee
Aug 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s come out on TV saying Fake News!

The only thing that makes me think twice on it though is... Higgins is a stand out performer when he plays at the MCG!

Really for Cats its irrelevant if player swap is for pick 30-40 or 60-70 they should just be focusing in on a player/s who can perform at the MCG and throwing everything at them.

It’s useless talking about premiership windows being open to pounce through.... when the fly wire screen ie. fronting up at the G is yet to be removed.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
He’s come out on TV saying Fake News!

The only thing that makes me think twice on it though is... Higgins is a stand out performer when he plays at the MCG!

Really for Cats its irrelevant if player swap is for pick 30-40 or 60-70 they should just be focusing in on a player/s who can perform at the MCG and throwing everything at them.

It’s useless talking about premiership windows being open to pounce through.... when the fly wire screen ie. fronting up at the G is yet to be removed.
Cats not too bad at the G in the past year,scoring is a bit of an issue but that structure and systems based...

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

hmmm didn't this plodder monster your entire midfield a couple of weeks ago in one quarter?

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pick 70 to 80. That's all Mitchell and Lewis were worth.

In all seriousness, if a decorated player such as Higgins chooses to leave. Surely NM just accommodate the move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

no, he got 1 yr contract to go, we hold him to contract, a bit different to tim kelly as time is not on his side. No one will want a 32 y.o next yr even if he is career best form. So we cut off his escape route and force him to perform as there is no where else he can go to. If he plays well, he will get another contract extension for 1 year. if he wants to leave, we will demand an above market return otherwise be held to contract. This is where we north melbourne should differentiate from other clubs. Our club is not someplace where you can come and go as you wish. If players want to leave, the departure must benefit NM football club if not, then too bad. Higgins will be held to contract unless we get late 1st round. As mentioned before, if he continues his form in 2020, gets another 1 yr extension and single year extension thereafter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yes the game where the umpire robbed you of the 2019 premiership

Nah, the one gifted to Brisbane to keep them on track for a top four finish because the AFL "needs a strong team in Queensland".

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Playing at the same level as 2018. Injury cost him back to back AA's. He's a jet.

I think 2018 was still clearly his best individual season overall:

I think Higgins has had a pretty decent career, and probably still has 1-2 years left. Even with the injuries, if you know going in that you're going to get 200+ games of pretty good quality out of a guy that's a #11 pick in the National Draft (drafted when he was still 17, too, back when you could still do that), you'd probably take it.

People might say "well, he didn't reach his potential because of injuries", but he had a pretty solid run in some key formative years of his career (played of a possible 74 of a possible 94 games between 2009-2012, ages 21-24) where he kind of sat around the same level and didn't really take that proverbial "next step".

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think 2018 was still clearly his best individual season overall:

View attachment 735314

I think Higgins has had a pretty decent career, and probably still has 1-2 years left. Even with the injuries, if you know going in that you're going to get 200+ games of pretty good quality out of a guy that's a #11 pick in the National Draft (drafted when he was still 17, too, back when you could still do that), you'd probably take it.

People might say "well, he didn't reach his potential because of injuries", but he had a pretty solid run in some key formative years of his career (played of a possible 74 of a possible 94 games between 2009-2012, ages 21-24) where he kind of sat around the same level and didn't really take that proverbial "next step".
1 of his games this year lasted 3 minutes.

Take that out and he averages 30.

Ultimate professional that could play at a high level for a while yet.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
1 of his games this year lasted 3 minutes.

Take that out and he averages 30.

Ultimate professional that could play at a high level for a while yet.

Fair enough, yes, without that game, he played 16, averaging 30.19 disposals and a Champion Data Player Ranking Score of 100.13, a lot closer to his 2018 output. Games missed still a concern.

Also, what happened to the North supporters earlier in the year that wanted Higgins out of the side, almost acting like his play was some sort of liability? Just a vocal few on here?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Fair enough, yes, without that game, he played 16, averaging 30.19 disposals and a Champion Data Player Ranking Score of 100.13, a lot closer to his 2018 output. Games missed still a concern.

Also, what happened to the North supporters earlier in the year that wanted Higgins out of the side, almost acting like his play was some sort of liability? Just a vocal few on here?
I have never seen a Roo poster post that. Madness if that is true.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I have never seen a Roo poster post that. Madness if that is true.

I'd have to pore through a lot of posts to find it, but I remember it being a bit of a theme for a few weeks (probably in main board gameday threads) before the half way point of the season. As I said, it could have just been a vocal minority, though.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
North want Constable for Higgins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back