Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
um they did it with Tim Kelly last year
he nominated WC ,freo were still trying to poach him
The Eagles could not get a deal done, Freo was well within its rights to have a dip - the WA clubs dont look to fight each other (this isnt Bay13), but they dont lie down to give the other a run. IMHO of course.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You do realise Chris Scott doesnt decide whether Kelly gets traded Stephen Wells does. Any comments from Scott are media fluff that matter about 1 % in the scheme of things. You're getting worked up over nothing.

Agree it can be over rated but very little of this sort can ever be attributed.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The Eagles could not get a deal done, Freo was well within its rights to have a dip - the WA clubs dont look to fight each other (this isnt Bay13), but they dont lie down to give the other a run. IMHO of course.

this is not what I was arguing.
Kelly nominated WC..Freo were still trying to poach him regardless, contrary to some posters opinion there is some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' between the 2 WA clubs

ding dong didn't care less that Kelly wanted no part of freo during trade week

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Tim Kelly remains open to a move to Fremantle despite the likelihood he will request a trade to West Coast at season’s end.
The Age understands Kelly, who has an offer from Geelong, is leaning towards repeating the trade request he made in an attempt to join the Eagles last season.
In demand: Tim Kelly.
In demand: Tim Kelly.CREDIT:AAP
However, unlike last October, he has not ruled out playing with the Dockers in 2020 if a deal between Geelong and West Coast cannot be reached.
With hopes dwindling that he will remain a Cat, the Dockers are likely to be in a position to offer Geelong a better deal than West Coast, who remain a strong contender to win back-to-back flags.
Advertisement

Kelly and his Western Australia-based manager Anthony Van Der Wielen - a director at South Fremantle - have been monitoring the situation at Fremantle this year after refusing to entertain a deal with the Dockers last year despite their interest in the star midfielder.
There remain widespread concerns within the AFL industry about the stability of the landscape at the Dockers.

Although football department chief Peter Bell has rebuffed suggestions of a rift with chief executive Steve Rosich, Fremantle have a host of assistant coaches out of contract.
Brad Hill is set to request a trade to Victoria, senior coach Ross Lyon is poised to enter the final year of his contract and list manager Mark Micallef’s job security has appeared shaky after it emerged that Bell had approached Adelaide analytics guru Binuk Kodituwakku about a role at the Dockers.

Kelly was non-committal about his future when he spoke publicly in Fremantle a fortnight ago as he attempted to maintain his focus on the upcoming finals series with the Cats.
His Geelong teammates are understanding of the reasons that might lead him to request a trade home however they expect him to commit himself totally to the Cats' premiership tilt in 2019.
Geelong last year turned down the Eagles' offer of picks 20, 22 and a future second-rounder for the man who is among the favourites for this year's Brownlow.

Agree it can be over rated but very little of this sort can ever be attributed.

Oh i agree i was just pointing out it has no bearing on whether a trade will go through or not.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
this is not what I was arguing.
Kelly nominated WC..Freo were still trying to poach him regardless, contrary to some posters opinion there is some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' between the 2 WA clubs

ding dong didn't care less that Kelly wanted no part of freo during trade week

As it was already said, Bell had a crack cause WCE could t get it done.

If Freo couldn’t get a player over the line in the same fashion, you’re kidding yourself if you think WCE wouldn’t have a crack.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Well the PR from the coach is a factor isnt it?

Scott supporting the stance that players expect too much. Should be held to their contract even in the event of family situation.

In the West a coach is talking about family friends and flags as key pillars of culture in that order.

What do you feel a player would think comparing the two coaches?

Coaches need to be careful with their message as they are represenyting the club and its values.

Kind of goes both ways though, are WC all talk to try and lure Kelly home for much of 2018 but then actually fail to get the deal done. You can act like they are the good guys just trying to get TK home to his family but we all know if TK had an average year last year then they would have had no interest in trying to poach him last year.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kind of goes both ways though, are WC all talk to try and lure Kelly home for much of 2018 but then actually fail to get the deal done. You can act like they are the good guys just trying to get TK home to his family but we all know if TK had an average year last year then they would have had no interest in trying to poach him last year.
Totally agree.

Clubs need to be ruthless to win.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tim Kelly remains open to a move to Fremantle despite the likelihood he will request a trade to West Coast at season’s end.
The Age understands Kelly, who has an offer from Geelong, is leaning towards repeating the trade request he made in an attempt to join the Eagles last season.

regurgitated again yadda yadda yadda....oh yeah where there is smoke there is fire....unless they is smoking dope

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Should have somehow got this done last season the eagles.

Will now cost 2 firsts with perhaps a late pick going back but can’t see how it’ll be for less than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
freo won't respect that
they have a massive chip when it comes to WC
"if" Kelly nominates the Eagles, freo will do everything they can to undermine the eagles
This is so incorrect it’s silly. Once a player decides either Fremantle or Eagles that’s pretty much it. There might be posturing to get the trade request ie lobb last year but once a decision is made it’s usually final.

Fremantle have nothing to gain by strong arming kelly if he requested west coast can’t force Geelong into a to good to be true trade

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is so incorrect it’s silly. Once a player decides either Fremantle or Eagles that’s pretty much it. There might be posturing to get the trade request ie lobb last year but once a decision is made it’s usually final.

Fremantle have nothing to gain by strong arming kelly if he requested west coast can’t force Geelong into a to good to be true trade

Exactly. The clubs will make sure they pay fair price (as you mentioned Lobb etc) but there’s no undermining.

OP pretending there’s some huge issue haha

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
In demand: Tim Kelly.
In demand: Tim Kelly.CREDIT:AAP
However, unlike last October, he has not ruled out playing with the Dockers in 2020 if a deal between Geelong and West Coast cannot be reached.
With hopes dwindling that he will remain a Cat, the Dockers are likely to be in a position to offer Geelong a better deal than West Coast, who remain a strong contender to win back-to-back flags.
Advertisement

Kelly and his Western Australia-based manager Anthony Van Der Wielen - a director at South Fremantle - have been monitoring the situation at Fremantle this year after refusing to entertain a deal with the Dockers last year despite their interest in the star midfielder.
There remain widespread concerns within the AFL industry about the stability of the landscape at the Dockers.

Although football department chief Peter Bell has rebuffed suggestions of a rift with chief executive Steve Rosich, Fremantle have a host of assistant coaches out of contract.
Brad Hill is set to request a trade to Victoria, senior coach Ross Lyon is poised to enter the final year of his contract and list manager Mark Micallef’s job security has appeared shaky after it emerged that Bell had approached Adelaide analytics guru Binuk Kodituwakku about a role at the Dockers.

Kelly was non-committal about his future when he spoke publicly in Fremantle a fortnight ago as he attempted to maintain his focus on the upcoming finals series with the Cats.
His Geelong teammates are understanding of the reasons that might lead him to request a trade home however they expect him to commit himself totally to the Cats' premiership tilt in 2019.
Geelong last year turned down the Eagles' offer of picks 20, 22 and a future second-rounder for the man who is among the favourites for this year's Brownlow.

Tbh what this says imo is Kelly doesn’t wanna screw over Geelong. He obviously loves it there, but he has to think more about his family and might need to come home to do so. He would probably rather WCE due to being a better side atm etc, but is open to Freo if the Eagles can’t put up a decent deal.

Either way he’s getting paid. I can’t imagine Eagles have the cap space Freo do, so be interesting to see who he choses after both clubs make an offer end of season. I still think he will chose the biggest pay day.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Tbh what this says imo is Kelly doesn’t wanna screw over Geelong. He obviously loves it there, but he has to think more about his family and might need to come home to do so. He would probably rather WCE due to being a better side atm etc, but is open to Freo if the Eagles can’t put up a decent deal.

Either way he’s getting paid. I can’t imagine Eagles have the cap space Freo do, so be interesting to see who he choses after both clubs make an offer end of season. I still think he will chose the biggest pay day.
Both have made good offers if you believe what has been reported. Our high picks are going to give Geelong good leverage over WC. I think we will only come into the picture if WC can't satisfy Geelong, then Geelong will try and push Kelly our way or try to convince him to stay again. If he is really keen to come home this time, and he can't get to WC, he will accept us, I think.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The PR is a factor in the relationship between coach and player if he stays (and i found his comments interesting in that sense) but if he decides to go it has no bearing on if a trade gets done and the specifics of the deal as Scott has no role in that..it was Wells dealing with West Coast last year and it will be the same this year.

My view is the clubs have a good relationship ( see Scotty Selwood) & both appreciated where the other is, 2019 negotiations differ from 2018.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

WCE don’t do these things like trying to poach players one yr into a contract , the Kelly camp obviously aroused WCE interests and why wouldn’t they be interested if Kelly wanted out of Victoria..
WCE tried to facilitate a trade which may seem like poaching to people who do not understand..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo

Tim is 25 and may have 6-7 years at the most to make hay. He will want from a club(in order)

1) Get back to Perth - WC, Freo Geelong
2) Get good coin - Freo, WC
3) Best deal for Geelong - Freo, WC
4) Club with successful outlook next few years - Freo , WC

Pretty even so I think it will come down to what TK values the most

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Tim is 25 and may have 6-7 years at the most to make hay. He will want from a club(in order)

1) Get back to Perth - WC, Freo Geelong
2) Get good coin - Freo, WC
3) Best deal for Geelong - Freo, WC
4) Club with successful outlook next few years - Freo , WC

Pretty even so I think it will come down to what TK values the most
I'd swap three and four around; while I'm sure he doesn't want to screw over Geelong, he will still put all his priorities first, just as Geelong would put their first.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

lol they did it last trade period...Freo offered pick 14 for him even though he nominated WC

Not sure whats more embarrassing, posters telling me it didnt happen or posters cant remember 8 months ago

sorry if facts counter your 'silly' opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back