Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegarTime

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am not trolling with this question...
Is Coniglio really all that good? Any game I’ve watched with him he’s always seemed (for lack of a better term) run of the mill. Then I don’t watch and I hear about this great game he’s just had...
Do I just not see something?

JOM is apparently on $1mill per season now (told to me by someone with close connections to the club) ... you’d have to think TOM would be at least on that with his extension. Is it smart for us to spend $800k-$1.1 million on another similar midfielder?

I’d prefer to pay Hill $700k-$800k or wait for Whitfield.

H.Greenwood for $500k (?) or someone similar to that would offer a point of difference without breaking the bank...

Would also give the world for Darcy Fogarty (sorry if teetering on hypothetical) - imagine him bursting through the middle and playing as the 3rd tall up forward 🤤

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is Coniglio really all that good? Any game I’ve watched with him he’s always seemed (for lack of a better term) run of the mill. Then I don’t watch and I hear about this great game he’s just had...

JOM is apparently on $1mill per season now (told to me by someone with close connections to the club) ... you’d have to think TOM would be at least on that with his extension. Is it smart for us to spend $800k-$1.1 million on another similar midfielder?

H.Greenwood for $500k (?) or someone similar to that would offer a point of difference without breaking the bank...

Would also give the world for Darcy Fogarty (sorry if teetering on hypothetical) - imagine him bursting through the middle and playing as the 3rd tall up forward 🤤
Got no idea where ur getting your numbers from but it’s widely reported jom signed for around $750k. With his injury and the management of it, he wouldn’t be able to command another $250k raise. Titch extended this year after his broken leg I’m sure, but he signed for $600k when he came across from Sydney, I’d imagine he’d be anywhere from 800-900k with the extension. Cogs is a gun, not as good as titch but he’d be our second best mid next year if he came across, barring worpel continuing to develop at light speed. Greenwood at 500 would be a mistake, he would be our 8th best midfielder next year, not the player you’d spend 500k on.

Hugh Dixon the KP we are supppsedly looking at from Freo. Tassie boy, Hawk fan.

Wonder if we can get him for a late pick ala Scrim?
He’s a KPF struggling to get a game, right?

Sounds like someone wants a career as a 3-5 Time Premiership KPD!

JaegarTime

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got no idea where ur getting your numbers from but it’s widely reported jom signed for around $750k. With his injury and the management of it, he wouldn’t be able to command another $250k raise. Titch extended this year after his broken leg I’m sure, but he signed for $600k when he came across from Sydney, I’d imagine he’d be anywhere from 800-900k with the extension. Cogs is a gun, not as good as titch but he’d be our second best mid next year if he came across, barring worpel continuing to develop at light speed. Greenwood at 500 would be a mistake, he would be our 8th best midfielder next year, not the player you’d spend 500k on.

Just because you don’t know where I get my numbers from doesn’t mean you are correct, doesn’t mean I am correct either but people on this board need to learn to phrase their statements better. I trust my source enough to be confident JOM is on around that figure.

$500k for Greenwood was being on the generous side.

Adding Titch in then our middle consists of:
TOM, JOM, Worpel, Wingard, Shiels

Coniglio may be a gun but the list above is potent enough without adding a million dollar player. Adding a moneyball option and then strengthening the outside class (Hill/Whitfield) would reap more benefits imo.

Anyway, fair enough. I still have reservations about Cogs but would be more than happy to be proven wrong if he came across

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just because you don’t know where I get my numbers from doesn’t mean you are correct, doesn’t mean I am correct either but people on this board need to learn to phrase their statements better. I trust my source enough to be confident JOM is on around that figure.

Coniglio may be a gun but the list above is potent enough without adding a million dollar player. Adding a moneyball option and then strengthening the outside class (Hill/Whitfield) would reap more benefits imo.

Anyway, fair enough. I still have reservations about Cogs but would be more than happy to be proven wrong if he came across
There’s only 5-6 million dollar players in the league, I doubt very highly that jom is one of them, but if your happy believing that, that’s fine. I’m with you on Whitfield being a player more in need, but the difference is one would cost 2 first rounders, the other only salary cap. Also we need as much midfield help as possible, we are bottom 4 in clearances and contested possessions which leads to us not winning enough clean ball in the midfield and just blasting the ball forward, any help we can get in the middle would be great

Cogs is a jet mate - probs this year more than previous years IMO & especially earlier in the year. From memory, had numerous games where he had 30+ possies & multiple goals.

Grunty midfielder with pace (takes small & fast steps), runs both ways & tackles & can play as a genuine forward when resting there.

In other circumstances, he’s probs not worth $1m, but the RFA element means we could get him whilst keeping our 1st, which IMO is worth an extra $150k-$200k a year for him.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Cogs instantly becomes our most damaging mid, he kicks goals and gets it almost 30 times a game. Cogs is a class above present Worps and levels above present JOM, adding Cogs to go with Titch and Worpel may just bring out the best in Jags too.

He isn’t on 1m a season mate, million dollar players are listed annually and he isn’t in the convo.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

I can't fathom someone that's worried about paying 1 mill for Cogs but is happy to pay 500k for Greenwood, Cogs is 5 x the player.

hawkguru

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can just see the AFL headlines reading the empire strikes back with cogs

tenor (5).gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh Dixon the KP we are supppsedly looking at from Freo. Tassie boy, Hawk fan.

Wonder if we can get him for a late pick ala Scrim?

My mail on this was that he was not enjoying the change of scenery at all. Tassie to Perth, couldn't play footy too much further away from home than that.

Considering he was the pick before Worps 2 years ago and has struggled to find his feet, it'll be a late pick swap.

Hawk the Talk

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My mail on this was that he was not enjoying the change of scenery at all. Tassie to Perth, couldn't play footy too much further away from home than that.

Considering he was the pick before Worps 2 years ago and has struggled to find his feet, it'll be a late pick swap.

He actually doesn’t mind it over there, he lives with Pearce who is another Tassie lad.
Hugh moved out of home at 16 and is an independent kid. He has struggled a bit with his conditioning... A massive step up from Tassie State League, which is probably why he had some injury issues in his first year. He’s on the right path now, has a heap of potential but is a long term prospect IMO.

He actually doesn’t mind it over there, he lives with Pearce who is another Tassie lad.
Hugh moved out of home at 16 and is an independent kid. He has struggled a bit with his conditioning... A massive step up from Tassie State League, which is probably why he had some injury issues in his first year. He’s on the right path now, has a heap of potential but is a long term prospect IMO.

Sounds like you know better!

Any truth to what I'd heard about him potentially being on the move?

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Sounds like you know better!

Any truth to what I'd heard about him potentially being on the move?

I've mentioned this before, but one of my best mate's son played with Hugh down here and is still good friends. Got this snippet from him this morning (Have removed his son's name):

Interesting isn’t it, he was a bit quieter last week but for some unknown reason they played him forward again after his good work down back, rucked a bit even though Scott Jones was back in the side.
Be nice if he got a debut just to have a chance to show what he can do. They have him and McCarthy as surplus to requirements, and McCarthy has never played back!
"His Son" and the others haven’t heard anything yet, but they are all on the plane if he gets a call up!

As Hawk the Talk mentioned above, I think Hugh found it tough transitioning into AFL life and may have found himself in the 'wrong' crowd initially. Seems he has settled much better this year though.

Hawk the Talk

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've mentioned this before, but one of my best mate's son played with Hugh down here and is still good friends. Got this snippet from him this morning (Have removed his son's name):

Interesting isn’t it, he was a bit quieter last week but for some unknown reason they played him forward again after his good work down back, rucked a bit even though Scott Jones was back in the side.
Be nice if he got a debut just to have a chance to show what he can do. They have him and McCarthy as surplus to requirements, and McCarthy has never played back!
"His Son" and the others haven’t heard anything yet, but they are all on the plane if he gets a call up!

As Hawk the Talk mentioned above, I think Hugh found it tough transitioning into AFL life and may have found himself in the 'wrong' crowd initially. Seems he has settled much better this year though.

Spot on!!

That's a real bad WA problem. Perth has a lot of wrong crowds. I like the place, but it's not a difficult place to fall in with the wrong people.

JaegarTime

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can't fathom someone that's worried about paying 1 mill for Cogs but is happy to pay 500k for Greenwood, Cogs is 5 x the player.

If you read my actual post it is asking if Cogs is really worth what people are saying he is. People saying he is a top 10 mid just have rose coloured glasses on.
I even admitted that $500k for Greenwood was being on the generous side.

This entire board is full of the same people saying the same crap over and over again and then coming down on anyone that comes in with a different opinion. The boys club.

‘5x the player’ ... please. He’s better but you have completely missed my point and thrown in a ridiculous exaggeration of someone’s capabilities.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you read my actual post it is asking if Cogs is really worth what people are saying he is. People saying he is a top 10 mid just have rose coloured glasses on.
I even admitted that $500k for Greenwood was being on the generous side.

This entire board is full of the same people saying the same crap over and over again and then coming down on anyone that comes in with a different opinion. The boys club.

‘5x the player’ ... please. He’s better but you have completely missed my point and thrown in a ridiculous exaggeration of someone’s capabilities.

Relax bro..

Cogs averages 29 odd touches (take away his last game where he done his knee in first qtr going statless), 1 goal, 4 inside 50s, 5 clearances and 10 contested possessions a game.. He is a guy that runs both ways, and is extremely dangerous deep forward which is only the case for 4-5 mids in the comp (Dusty, Bont, Danger etc). The guy is dynamic.

Relax bro..

Cogs averages 29 odd touches (take away his last game where he done his knee in first qtr going statless), 1 goal, 4 inside 50s, 5 clearances and 10 contested possessions a game.. He is a guy that runs both ways, and is extremely dangerous deep forward which is only the case for 4-5 mids in the comp (Dusty, Bont, Danger etc). The guy is dynamic.
Hope he stagnates for us next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back