News Pre-Season Trade Period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

The Age floated the possibility on Tuesday night, but Watson believes it will indeed happen next year.

“The mid-season trade period is going to become the pre-season trade,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“There’ll be a 48 to 72-hour window that will open just before the season, I’m not exactly sure what the dates are going to be, but there will be a window that opens when those trades can occur.

“It won’t happen during the year, it won’t happen mid-season, it’ll happen in the pre-season.

“It will happen according to my people.

“When the clubs met, all the CEO’s, there was opposition, they didn’t like the mid-season draft.”

Don’t see the point in this. Wasn’t the whole point of Pre-Season Draft period is to replace players you need?

Players are training all summer with one club, and then get traded to another.

I’m happy with player movement. Just note sure it’s the right idea.

The point of it is to enable clubs to compensate for things like Docherty or Mitchell going down in Pre-season. The clubs can use the pre-season trade period to shunt those players to the LTI list, and get in a replacement before the season begins in earnest.

It also increases fan engagement pre the season starting, generating higher interest in the comp outside and during the season proper. Fans love trade periods nearly as much (if not more) than actual matches on game day.

Mid-season trades are the final taboo in AFL. We're still in a weird position of players having to publicly 'put off contract discussions till the end of the year' and maintain a facade of club loyalty, despite reaching agreement on trades to rival clubs and being out the door months in advance of announcing it publicly.

Im not a huge fan of such mid-season trades. Im OK with poaching players from the lesser leagues or formerly listed players not currently on an AFL list mid-season, but not players on other lists in the AFL.

The point of it is to enable clubs to compensate for things like Docherty or Mitchell going down in Pre-season. The clubs can use the pre-season trade period to shunt those players to the LTI list, and get in a replacement before the season begins in earnest.

It also increases fan engagement pre the season starting, generating higher interest in the comp outside and during the season proper. Fans love trade periods nearly as much (if not more) than actual matches on game day.

Mid-season trades are the final taboo in AFL. We're still in a weird position of players having to publicly 'put off contract discussions till the end of the year' and maintain a facade of club loyalty, despite reaching agreement on trades to rival clubs and being out the door months in advance of announcing it publicly.

Im not a huge fan of such mid-season trades. Im OK with poaching players from the lesser leagues or formerly listed players not currently on an AFL list mid-season, but not players on other lists in the AFL.

In regards to Docherty and Mitchell can’t they do that already? Ie draft a player Sydney Stack style.

Plus if someone is injured, no one’s trading for them. You probably have to trade future draft picks or (not injured) players for other players.

Agree on fan engagement etc.

I prefer the mid-season trade period.

I agree that we need to change our mentality towards players contracts. Bit stupid players like Congilo and Jenkins are out here staying there sticking with their club, when we know they’re very very likely to leave.

So players who have gone throuhg a pre season of learning their club's new/altered tactics is going to be traded to a competitor who will be very interested in that IP...

Yeah, I can see that going down well.

They already created the supplemental selection period for that. Hence we got Michael Gibbons for Sam Docherty going down in pre-season and Cottrell replaced Bugg too. So it is not for that in itself. This is an add on to give clubs just more options for movement. It is not just to cover for LTI's.

Why not just make the trade period all of January and February?

Gives clubs time, gives players time and it's not so freakin frantic.

Transfer windows like in soccer work best imo.

Having a trade period at the end of the season instead of the start is frankly moronic.

Trades should be about the new year, not the old one. Get your team on track, have some practice matches and find out who you need and who is surplus.

Why not just make the trade period all of January and February?

Gives clubs time, gives players time and it's not so freakin frantic.

Transfer windows like in soccer work best imo.

Having a trade period at the end of the season instead of the start is frankly moronic.

Trades should be about the new year, not the old one. Get your team on track, have some practice matches and find out who you need and who is surplus.
So under your proposal you can't trade draft picks ever again, sounds awesome

Never did believe mid-season trade period was going to be a good idea.
Would be a bit of a farce if some player played first half of season with some club that went bad and then that club decide to trade off a good player to load up on draft picks for a re-build and that player traded ends up being part of premiership team with medallion. Just would suck to have a player play on second half of season with a team and feel like they are as deserving in meaning for the medallion as other players that emotionally put in more for that club for whole season and previous years.

To lesser extent a player winning Brownlow Medal playing for two clubs in the one season would be a bad look for the game.

Pre-season makes far more sense. Least then that player is invested for the same club for the whole season proper.

Drafting a player from the lower leagues, is a different kettle of fish to trading with a current AFL club for an AFL listed player.

I understand that.

Only way I see it working is (Eg):

Docherty injured pre-season.

Collingwood have a plethora of medium-sized backmen.

Carlton have a lot of talls. Willing to trade to get an experienced backmen.

Carlton trade : Harry Mckay
Collingwood trade : Matthew Scharenberg.

Could possibly work, but getting players to agree will be interesting. Maybe more likely to agree if they feel like they’re not in the best 22 of their current team.

So players who have gone throuhg a pre season of learning their club's new/altered tactics is going to be traded to a competitor who will be very interested in that IP...

Yeah, I can see that going down well.
Happens in countless sports worldwide, at various points in the season, it's not that big an issue as you'd think.

I'm against mid season trading so anything that's not that I'm potentially okay with. I don't have too many issues with a quick block before the season starts to finalise the list.

I think this would end as soon as the first player drafted three months earlier requests a trade to their home state.

The odds of that happening are so small but the articles that could be written about it and the hype generated by that sort of click bait journalism will benefit that industry... so no wonder they want it.

I understand that.

Only way I see it working is (Eg):

Docherty injured pre-season.

Collingwood have a plethora of medium-sized backmen.

Carlton have a lot of talls. Willing to trade to get an experienced backmen.

Carlton trade : Harry Mckay
Collingwood trade : Matthew Scharenberg.

Could possibly work, but getting players to agree will be interesting. Maybe more likely to agree if they feel like they’re not in the best 22 of their current team.

Or Hawthorn trying to prise a Kennedy from the Swans to cover Mitchell.

The AFLPA will be in support, as will the clubs. It's a no-brainer for mine.

The real issue with a mid season trade period. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the mid season draft because if a premiership contender loses a key plank (ie a ruckman or key defender) they can try their luck on a lower league replacement.

Don’t know I see the point in this really.

The only reason the AFL is doing this is for BS attention whoring purposes. Don't be fooled by their stupid explanations, it is just for the clicks...

Hey idiots, the only reason why the trade period is so interesting is because it is once a year.

Because every year becomes a guess genius. You have to trade draft picks not knowing if you will actually be successful trading players

Horrible horrible idea

I have never, ever had anyone miss tje point of such a simple concept by so far.

Like, wow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back