List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Righto!
The phone calls are coming into me now & this mornings rumour from one of my not so reliable sources.

- Papley to Carlton (all over the rumour boards so grain of salt).
- We are into Ollie Wines (who wouldn't be).

Geebers Ted. Hopefully Buckets of Salt or total level of salination of the Mallee is required. The loss of Papley is just unthinkable. The idea of his loss to the scumboid Carlolton Crims is torture.

I am afraid the quality is that of Goon.

Not just Pass on the idea, but 'pass out'.

You don’t rate Wines?

He was better than nearly every Swan on the weekend and that was coming in as an emergency. Plus he’s only 24 - perfect age.

Doubt it’s true but wish it was.

It's gonna be a sad day if Papley goes. One of t the rising players who was in a good but not great side. I've seen some port games and unfortunately Wines has not been good this year. Buyers beware due to his injuries as well. Maybe being at a new club will give him the kick up the arse he needs.

You don’t rate Wines?

He was better than nearly every Swan on the weekend and that was coming in as an emergency. Plus he’s only 24 - perfect age.

Doubt it’s true but wish it was.

Port has used him as a battering ram. I doubt the kid will have a long career. Yes he was good on the weekend but was relatively fresh and playing against one of the weaker, slowest and worst organised midfields trundling around.

We are seeing what happens when you don’t make hard list calls and give long contracts to older players

Next jpk rampe buddy Sinclair and even Naismith who is old body wise will be an issue if not managed well

We are seeing what happens when you don’t make hard list calls and give long contracts to older players

Next jpk rampe buddy Sinclair and even Naismith who is old body wise will be an issue if not managed well

Agree.

If any player doesn’t deserve to be a liability because he’s been kept on the list too long, it’s Kennedy.

Agree.

If any player doesn’t deserve to be a liability because he’s been kept on the list too long, it’s Kennedy.

He was paid during his career, he doesnt deserve special treatment.

He should be on the list as long as is he valuable, then get him off quick

Watching Jack and Smith basically paid to contribute nothing is a lesson for the club

What would we know on this side of the fence though Kingy.
Don't continuously sell the club short as they know when to make hard calls when seasons end.
Mid year is always difficult & not always right but we've been better at these decisions than most clubs. It's a delicate exercise as you can see with Andrew Dunkley who only last week showed how long he has held his grudge for aginst a bloke Roos, who hasn't had an active role at the club for 6 years or so.
It's important we don't burn anyone & do things the right way.

Watching Jack and Smith basically paid to contribute nothing is a lesson for the club

Smith only went off the boil shortly before his career ending injury. KJ was another issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was my point! I hope Kennedy realises he has given a ridiculous amount already to this club and doesn’t need to go on trying to squeeze every drop out of his career.

Don't continuously sell the club short as they know when to make hard calls when seasons end.
Mid year is always difficult & not always right but we've been better at these decisions than most clubs. It's a delicate exercise as you can see with Andrew Dunkley who only last week showed how long he has held his grudge for aginst a bloke Roos, who hasn't had an active role at the club for 6 years or so.

How have we been better at dealing with ends of careers that most?

Richards Shaw even Goodes
Smith Grundy jack Tippett
Okeefe

I could keep going

I think we have got a lot better at helping our players prepare for working life post footy. Dunks conceded he had not thought of post footy until it happened.

I really take exception to this. You ALWAYS look after your 'people' because others are watching.
We don't know what else they are contributing off field. You don't just spit them out when they are done & we also don't know what actual clauses there may be in their contracts where they need to play a certain amount of games in their final years to trigger extensions etc.
We just don't know but we do know they have been ornaments of the club & those next in line need to see that we will look after them too should they choose to stick it out with our club until the end.

I really take exception to this. You ALWAYS look after your 'people' because others are watching.
We don't know what else they are contributing off field. You don't just spit them out when they are done & we also don't know what actual clauses there may be in their contracts where they need to play a certain amount of games in their final years to trigger extensions etc.
We just don't know but we do know they have been ornaments of the club & those next in line need to see that we will look after them too should they choose to stick it out with our club until the end.

Players are paid well for what they give clubs

Im not saying cut everyone at the drop of the hat, but we have shot ourselves in the foot keeping guys 1-3 years too long

then they end up injured or in the neafl- and in turn we cant sign other players or bring players in

Yes you dont know who is watching, exactly, what prime player wants to go to a club thats old and no hope of winning.

Too much heart not enough head imo

You can take exception

But Jack smith grundy mcveigh and your mate buddy- how much in their bank to give us collectively nothing

How have we been better at dealing with ends of careers that most?

Richards Shaw even Goodes
Smith Grundy jack Tippett
Okeefe

I could keep going
Not sure what we did wrong with these players other than injuries cutting their careers short.
Buddy will be the one biggest list stuff up IMO. It started when he sat out the finals in 2015 & hasn't been good since 2017.
Let's start the discussion with the Big Bud.

That was my point! I hope Kennedy realises he has given a ridiculous amount already to this club and doesn’t need to go on trying to squeeze every drop out of his career.

I suspect JPK is addicted to giving his last drop of blood. Like Buddy he strikes me as an absolute footy nerd who just loves playing the game.

I reckon in ten years time JPK (in the tradition of Barry Round, another tops Bloods skipper) will still be strapping himself up, encouraging his team mates and still playing the game he loves.

Players are paid well for what they give clubs

Im not saying cut everyone at the drop of the hat, but we have shot ourselves in the foot keeping guys 1-3 years too long

then they end up injured or in the neafl- and in turn we cant sign other players or bring players in

Yes you dont know who is watching, exactly, what prime player wants to go to a club thats old and no hope of winning.

Too much heart not enough head imo

You can take exception

But Jack smith grundy mcveigh and your mate buddy- how much in their bank to give us collectively nothing

All good clubs do it.
Henderson at Geelong a waste of money but came from Carlton on big money at the time.
You want a perfect cold hard world.
Won't ever happen at a good club.

He was struggling a bit at the end couldnt run, and played for frees

Bullshit. He played for frees for a short period about 2 years before he was howled out of football.

He wasn't at his absolute elite best once he retired (and who knows how much of that mental) but he was still a bloody good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back