Past Nick Smith - farewell, retired 2019

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

“The Nick Smith that we all know behind closed doors is much, much more than this. Nick is highly respected by coaches and peers alike. First elected into the club’s leadership group in 2012, he is the epitome of what the Bloods are about. And for us, that’s as great a compliment as there is.”

The Swans and Smith are exploring opportunities for him to remain involved in the game in some capacity.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The ultimate no-fuss player. Some of his best performances were when you got to the end of the game and you'd hardly noticed him out there but looked at the stats and he'd kept some of the best attacking players in the game to a few touches or limited goals. And he did it without any real pace, relying on brilliant reading of the play and footy nous. The Swans were lucky he didn't pursue cricket after not getting picked up in the main draft, supposedly a great spin bowler. A great footy career Nick, best of luck with your next move.

An absolutely wonderful and peerless small defender and clubman. In his prime he made champ small forwards like Rioli look like chumps.

Nick was an ordinary kick, not blessed with speed nor a one touch player. However he always brought a sharp intelligence and intense application to his role.

He will always be remembered as a great Clubman and of course a Premiership player.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Oh no!
We will NEVER replace such a disciplined player like Nick Smith which is why it will be hard to win any flag without a replacement.
Players like Nick make the rest of the team look better than they are.
Along with Jude Bolton, Brett Kirk & Adam Goodes Smith is one one my favourite all time Swans players because he never questioned his role & just got the job done as long as he was part of our team each week.
Not something we have had from some of our players who left our club because they didn't like whatever role they were given. Player bigger than the club scenario which I have always hated & have no respect for.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
One of my very favourite Swans and it makes me sad to see him go but it's probably the best for all.

Can't wait for the St.Kilda game could be an almighty occasion for Bud's 300th + the last day as players at the SCG for Grundy, Smith, Jack and McVeigh. Those 4 all leaving reflects the club really changing hands.

That game did happen. It was the 2014 Grand Final that has been erased from history.

No I remember that one. That was the one where we just played s**t, as often happens to teams on grand final day. Actually on that game, I remember Smith and Malceski were both awesome on a day of lowlights.

Back