Umpiring standards 2019

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Yeah that's a pretty poor error by the ump to pay the mark. If that was a close game, the outrage would be through the roof.

At least they’ve shown in that scenario the decision can be overturned

I’m finding it very hard to understand the holding the ball rule this season.

This stems from the different game to game interpretations.

Collingwood v West Coast was a prime example of ridiculous over the top HTB decisions, yet 2nd half they stopped paying it pretty much!

They so often go away from the spirit of the law and think more HTB opens up the game or maybe just less work for them?

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Ziebell getting shirtfronted by Tuohy right in front of goals was one of the worst non free's I have seen in a while.
Took his eyes of the ball and jumped into Ziebell knocking him down, ball get's taken be Geelong down the other end for a goal.
Razor Ray right there in front of it, terrible terrible non decision. Ziebell would of had a shot from 15m out in front to put North in front and maybe set up a bit of momentum. Instead Geelong get a goal and set up there momentum.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Are 50 metre penalties paid at all anymore? Seems like you can kick the ball away and not get penalised.

There was one yesterday that confirmed my thoughts, can't remember the game but the ball was clearly kicked out on the full and the bloke who took the mark over the line then threw the ball to the boundary umpire. Blatant 50 in years gone by and I feel like the players have picked up on the fact they're no longer getting paid and are exploiting it.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I always laugh at the many people on bigfooty who complain about the one sided umpiring and 'our club' needs to talk to the AFL about it happening each week (or the AFL deliberately tell the umpires to pay frees agaist us because they hate us). Then you look at the opposition boards and they are saying the exact same thing about their side. Not much bias shown or impacts their thoughts on the umpiring each week.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
No, there's not, just a common misconception by fans.

No a common misconception of those in the rule changing club at the AFL that have fiddled and confused beyond sense!

If you got a bloke by the jumper or arm or what ever while he's in possession of the ball and you spin him 360 degrees,
well you've damned well CAUGHT HIM WITH BALL, without a doubt in the universe!

You've stopped him disposing of the ball , you probably made him dispose of the ball illegally.

How many times nowadays do you see blokes get spun fully around and still given too much leeway , to get rid of it, TO MANY TIMES.

It's ok for American basket ball to ease up on "carrying the ball" and "Travel" and also what looks like double dribble, some times, BUT IT HAS ENHANCED THE SPECTACLE!
Unlike the AFL rule makers who have crucified OUR SPORT AND CONFUSED EVERY BODY AND BECOME SO PEDANTIC, AND NOT ONLY IN THE SAFETY ASPECT OF THE GAME WITH TIGGY TOUCHWOOD, but stupid things like ruckmen announcing its them who will ruck .

With accidental 40cm (1 foot about) out of bounds on the full off an ankle, that gets a free kick. With the deliberate out of bounds nonsense And... where the crowd just about decides those for the Ump.
When is it accidental?

OR.. the player has only the boundary to defend, the ridiculous running or punching the ball through points and goals by a defender , how the hell can he do any thing else in some cases.

No.... the 360 degrees spin is Caught with the ball! Holding the ball! Dropping the ball! All those old fashioned real rules that now days, are eased off because the games playing pool is diluted, by a few , and more and more the comments from the Experts ??? like "in this modern game" the Couch boys and their comments about coaching fair dinkum the complication of AFL football is almost like a hobby to look like something else, it's killed the real game , even in great matches the "modern game" rears its ugly head with the horrors of wrong calls? No calls for some incidents where the free is there?

AND OF COURSE THE WORST THING OF ALL IS.... THE FREE KICK IS NOW THE RULER OF THE SPORT AT AFL LEVEL, GAME MOMENTUM KILLING BY THIS ADMINISTRATION, THE SPORT IS SO STOP START IT IS TERRIBLE TO WATCH SOMETIMES.

These experts rave and rant about tactics and the boundary line game. Barely ever up the middle, most too chicken to attack the shortest way to goal.

It makes our 9 games per weekend , look boringly the same ! Some of the football skill level or desperation and determination is there, from top sides, but the rot sets in, in every game when some free kick gets a score with nonsense not needed as rules for free kicks, and with frees that are horrifically doubtful or frees seen by many but not called, Toby Greene could tell you about that, but still the umpires paid it back down the ground, UMPIRES PAYING BACK FREE KICKS??? THAT THEY MADE A MISTAKE ON BEFORE?????????????????? WHAT!?

AFL has nearly murdered Australian Rules Football now, all that you can hope for is some simplicity coming back into the rules, some easing off of the nonsense, and the worst is the umpires controlling everything, including momentum.

I think the Hawks would have clobbered GWS the other night anyway they had them stumped!
But I bet if Greene had have kicked a goal from the free he should have got, but didn't, it may have been a bit harder .

So there you are BF, I haven't stopped watching and whinging and seeing something unique ( our sport) get destroyed, by Hocking and Mclachlan and their cronies, its a tragedy! They should all be sacked!

So folks have a go at the lot?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Are 50 metre penalties paid at all anymore? Seems like you can kick the ball away and not get penalised.

There was one yesterday that confirmed my thoughts, can't remember the game but the ball was clearly kicked out on the full and the bloke who took the mark over the line then threw the ball to the boundary umpire. Blatant 50 in years gone by and I feel like the players have picked up on the fact they're no longer getting paid and are exploiting it.

Blatant 50???

The fifty is over killed every time its used , especially for the run past rubbish, and players getting heated up.

Also I think maybe the umps have eased off on it, 50's are for very serious misdemeanors, not walking an inch and a half over the mark.

50M penalties should be seen very rarely, they can be game changers for pettiness, that is not fair.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I always laugh at the many people on bigfooty who complain about the one sided umpiring and 'our club' needs to talk to the AFL about it happening each week (or the AFL deliberately tell the umpires to pay frees agaist us because they hate us). Then you look at the opposition boards and they are saying the exact same thing about their side. Not much bias shown or impacts their thoughts on the umpiring each week.

Yes proves my point , the rules crucify all eighteen teams sometime during every weekend and every game, too much complication and the fans who write on big footy all see it , but when something "blatant" happens as we all witness every week, we all think its only us!
Except me , I know its killing all teams, and the contest /contact is slowly being eradicated from our unique game, and every one whinges on BF, but no one tries to tell the AFL ,or their club, about the rules and Hocking , so put up with it, its not Aussie rules much any more!

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Blatant 50???

The fifty is over killed every time its used , especially for the run past rubbish, and players getting heated up.

Also I think maybe the umps have eased off on it, 50's are for very serious misdemeanors, not walking an inch and a half over the mark.

50M penalties should be seen very rarely, they can be game changers for pettiness, that is not fair.

I don't disagree. It's just somewhat bizarre how different it is being adjudicated this year compared to last year. Throwing the ball to the boundary umpire when it was clearly out on the full would've been a 50 metre penalty 10/10 times the past 5 years yet this year seems to be different.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
The AFL seriously needs to take a leaf out of the SANFL and bring in the last kick out of bounds rule in 2020. The inconsistently this year of what is / is not deliberate is farcical. And it would make life so much easier for umpires.

And please reward the player making the ball his objective.

Sauras

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ive never understood the off the ball stuff. You can push and scrag all you like, but if you get a fingernail on the neck it's called too high? So what about all the pushes in the back, the holdings on? Even in tackles when its a ball up, the player will have the arm over the neck, nup, nothing, but if you graze an elbow in the marking contest CHOPPING THE ARMS.

Sauras

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And on holding the ball, the umpire says you need to get it out if you dragged it in, but other players can drag it back in so that player can't get rid of it. Nup, we'll penalize you for that as well.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ive never understood the off the ball stuff. You can push and scrag all you like, but if you get a fingernail on the neck it's called too high? So what about all the pushes in the back, the holdings on? Even in tackles when its a ball up, the player will have the arm over the neck, nup, nothing, but if you graze an elbow in the marking contest CHOPPING THE ARMS.
My favorite is 'if you do it again I'll pay a free kick'. How about if it's a free kick, just pay it

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ziebell getting shirtfronted by Tuohy right in front of goals was one of the worst non free's I have seen in a while.
Took his eyes of the ball and jumped into Ziebell knocking him down, ball get's taken be Geelong down the other end for a goal.
Razor Ray right there in front of it, terrible terrible non decision. Ziebell would of had a shot from 15m out in front to put North in front and maybe set up a bit of momentum. Instead Geelong get a goal and set up there momentum.

And Ray " admitted " yesterday on radio that he thought Jack put a " bit of mayo " ( Ray's words ) to get a free kick earlier. So he didn't pay the block 😠

So instead of implemeting the rules he bent them to his own agenda ! ! !

No, the game isn't rigged and the draw is fair and equitable.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
And Ray " admitted " yesterday on radio that he thought Jack put a " bit of mayo " ( Ray's words ) to get a free kick earlier. So he didn't pay the block 😠

So instead of implemeting the rules he bent them to his own agenda ! ! !

No, the game isn't rigged and the draw is fair and equitable.

I don't think ziebell is one who milks frees but I don't mind it if umpires have a bias against players who milk free kicks. He did say he thought ziebell went down a lot easier than he normally would. Nothing worse than seeing a player who it normally takes 2 blokes to bring to the ground get a soft touch and falls as if he has been shot (not ziebell but in general).

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think ziebell is one who milks frees but I don't mind it if umpires have a bias against players who milk free kicks. He did say he thought ziebell went down a lot easier than he normally would. Nothing worse than seeing a player who it normally takes 2 blokes to bring to the ground get a soft touch and falls as if he has been shot (not ziebell but in general).

So a " free kick " isn't a " free kick " if the umpire doesn't think the player is entitled to it ?

Sounds fair.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you are a player that dives/milks for free kicks, you are less likely to get the 50/50 calls. Good umpiring if they do that.

It wasn't a 50/50 call. Tuohy deliberately ran front on into him, eyes not on the ball while he was going to contest a mark.

I don't care if it's Trump or the Dalai Lama. You can't not pay a free kick because you don't think a player deserves it. Where does that leave the integrity of the game ? ? ?
Non-existant mate.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It wasn't a 50/50 call. Tuohy deliberately ran front on into him, eyes not on the ball while he was going to contest a mark.

I don't care if it's Trump or the Dalai Lama. You can't not pay a free kick because you don't think a player deserves it. Where does that leave the integrity of the game ? ? ?
Non-existant mate.

I wasn't speaking about the actual incident, as I said, I don't think Ziebel is a diver. But in general, I don't mind players who dive/act get treated harsher by umpires when there is a 50/50 call.

It is funny the north reaction is though, acting as if it would have impacted the result.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wasn't speaking about the actual incident, as I said, I don't think Ziebel is a diver. But in general, I don't mind players who dive/act get treated harsher by umpires when there is a 50/50 call.

It is funny the north reaction is though, acting as if it would have impacted the result.

Hey. We kicked 1 goal. We lost.

I never want to hear an umpire say what he did.

ohhhhh, diddums. Baby want his bottle?

When you're old enough to have kids maybe you'll understand that a discussion doesn't need stupid strawmen everyone agrees with raised to distract us from the point someone was trying to make.

Cheers.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
When you're old enough to have kids maybe you'll understand that a discussion doesn't need stupid strawmen everyone agrees with raised to distract us from the point someone was trying to make.

Cheers.

Hahaha good one champ. I was having a discussion, you come in and abuse people. Funny and sad. Maybe read your post and then apply it to yourself.

Back