Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the dream comes true and we land Coniglio and one of Papley or Gray ... what does our Best 22 look like? Just as importantly, what does our best say 28 look like (to cover injuries, matchups and form dips)? Does DThomas make the cut?

FB: Plowman Weitering Marchbank
HB: Docherty Jones Newman

C: Murphy Cripps SPS
Foll: Kreuzer Coniglio Walsh

HF: Fisher Harry Cuningham
FF: Gray Charlie McGovern

Int: JSOS, Setterfield, Dow, LOB
Em1(3): Casboult, Simpson, Gibbons
Em2(3): TDK, Stocker, Daisy

Depth: 2020 draft picks, Phillips, Kennedy, Williamson, Deluca, Schumacher

IMO, everyone up to the second set of Emergencies are best 22 calibre. So hard to fit in, but just shows we have an amazing crop of players to choose from if all fit and we get Cogs and an elite small forward.
Backline looks incredible.
Midfield is wow.
Forwardline is deadly.
Bench is choc full of talent.
Emergencies are a mix of veterans ready to step in, and young prospects who are waiting to explode onto the scene.
And you forgot Ed so add him to the mid group

Re. Thomas

Why wouldn't he be offered another year?

Is it because his output has diminished? NO
Is it because of his age? We were happy to give Murphy 2 years last year and he's the same age, so - NO
Is Thomas a bad influence around the club? NO
Is Thomas asking for a lot of money? NO
Are there ready made replacements for Thomas's role? Can we be sure Docherty & Williamson will be good to go? NO

Have we targeted someone we know is coming and will be more than a quality replacement for Thomas?
This is the only thing that makes sense on face value.

Doesn't really make sense to me.

Are we that desperate for the list spots? Because It's not like we have heaps of currency to fill them.
Current picks 10, 39, 46, 67, 82... and then future picks (1st, or combination of later picks). Sure, Cogs for free.

But we cut Lobbe, Garlett, Fasolo, Lang (LeBois rookie), and guess that Levi takes that bigger offer, then we're replacing Daisy with #82 (not accounting for future pick trades), and that's assuming Kerr is still on the list, which I think is doubtful.

I get that Simmo rightfully gets to play on.
But comparing the two, Daisy has had a better year, been a lot more consistent, is younger, and is a lot more versatile.
For all the posters worrying about Daisy being pushed out of the backline, how much better would our forwardline have looked this year if Doc was playing back, and we had Daisy in the forward pocket?

I hope the club don't overpay for just a genuine small forward unless he is top shelf and or has versatility

I'd be somewhat happy with Charlie Cameron and he can play forward all he wants, if it nets us 50+ goals a year along with making us more dangerous.

I don't want to net a cheapie thinking we'll turn them into something they're not. Been there, done that = Failure.

I'd be somewhat happy with Charlie Cameron and he can play forward all he wants, if it nets us 50+ goals a year along with making us more dangerous.

I don't want to net a cheapie thinking we'll turn them into something they're not. Been there, done that = Failure.

That's just perception

Ryan and Rioli are testaments to not overpaying for just pure small fowards

That's just perception

Ryan and Rioli are testaments to not overpaying for just pure small fowards

They are but they're running at around 1 goal per game.
Cameron is coming in at almost 2.5 per game. Big difference, isn't it?

Does anyone think that Brisbane are regretting taking on Cameron for a pick #12?
He's exactly what they needed, they got him and are now benefitting for 'reaching' for a small forward.

Much wiser paying a little extra and getting the best than trying to be too clever and end up with a so-so player.
The CFC doesn't need any more so-so players. Just needs to put some final touches to a squad that can go somewhere.

This 100%, we need something proven that is in their sides best 22 not another Alex Fasolo.

He comes with baggage, both injury and behavioural but I wonder what it would cost to get Toby Greene.

They are but they're running at around 1 goal per game.
Cameron is coming in at almost 2.5 per game. Big difference, isn't it?

Does anyone think that Brisbane are regretting taking on Cameron for a pick #12?
He's exactly what they needed, they got him and are now benefitting for 'reaching' for a small forward.

Much wiser paying a little extra and getting the best than trying to be too clever and end up with a so-so player.
The CFC doesn't need any more so-so players. Just needs to put some final touches to a squad that can go somewhere.

Players like Ryan and Rioli are so so?

Lately, think we have seen in our club, that winning games doesn't revolve around which small forward kicks the most goals

It will always be around having ample opportunities(forward 50 entries)

Remember sum of all parts?

An on Cameron, I don't see any other small forward in that class, currently

Nobody (surely?) would think that Brisbane overpaid for Cameron.
Or that Hawthorn overpaid using #12 on Cyril Rioli.

But using a 3rd rounder on a bust is overpaying.

I can remember at the time, most of the footy world laughing at Brisbane for giving up pick 12 for Cameron. People were saying Brisbane were just happy to have anyone who wanted to play for Brisbane so had to pay significant overs. Perhaps they were just smarter than everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lately, think we have seen in our club, that winning games doesn't revolve around which small forward kicks the most goals

Michael Walters, Jordan DeGoey & Eddie Betts are still well in the conversation.

No chance of snagging Greene - signed a 6 year deal and is looking very comfortable at GWS

Stranger things have happened but fair call, if he signed on for 6 years looks like he is set. Just knew he was from Melbourne which is why i raised it and if you had the pick of any small forward in the comp i would have him and DeGoey neck and neck for top spot.

Michael Walters, Jordan DeGoey & Eddie Betts are still well in the conversation.

Walters is the only one who would be in the same ballpark if played as a true small forward, but he spends a lot of his time up the ground.

Betts is no longer in the conversation, still dangerous but he has dropped considerably. Take the 2 games against the GC out of the equation and he is on a rung or two below.

As for De Goey, he is not a small forward. Not even remotely a similar player to Cameron.

Cameron has Walters and Betts covered, in the now and moving forward

DeGoey I wouldn't really classify as a pure small forward

You have also strengthened my original post of not overpaying for a pure small forward, with both Ealters and Betts being much later picks

Stranger things have happened but fair call, if he signed on for 6 years looks like he is set. Just knew he was from Melbourne which is why i raised it and if you had the pick of any small forward in the comp i would have him and DeGoey neck and neck for top spot.

I would love for it to happen and it would be a huge get, unfortunately I have a mate itk and he reckons Tobs is really comfortable, happy with the coin he is getting and isn’t fussed on winning a premiership anywhere else.

The problem is who are the proven small forwards who are out of contract?
There are plenty of flankers around but not much else and that’s why Sydney know they have us over the barrel. If we don’t get Papley we will probably have to recruit through the draft and trades at least a couple to make sure one actually makes it even then there are no guarantees.

There's overpay and overpay.
I trust SOS to keep it sensible.
37yk17.jpg

Re. Ryan & Rioli: I was generalising and not meaning them specifically.

Ample opportunities around goal is a good idea, but having someone that can create something out of little is the better idea.
We can't go on thinking we can make do with makeshift pop-gun forwards to manufacture goals for us for pressure alone.
Teague recognised that notion to be a failure before the season started, but somehow Bolton didn't. It all seems silly now, doesn't it?

It is a sum of the parts game but when your deficiencies become glaringly obvious, something has to be done about it and attaining these parts seems like a wise solution to me. It did last year and it did the year before. Little doubt we'll be tending to it now.

Re. Ryan & Rioli: I was generalising and not meaning them specifically.

Ample opportunities around goal is a good idea, but having someone that can create something out of little is the better idea.
We can't go on thinking we can make do with makeshift pop-gun forwards to manufacture goals for us for pressure alone.
Teague recognised that notion to be a failure before the season started, but somehow Bolton didn't. It all seems silly now, doesn't it?

It is a sum of the parts game but when your deficiencies become glaringly obvious, something has to be done about it and attaining these parts seems like a wise solution to me. It did last year and it did the year before. Little doubt we'll be tending to it now.

I get the feeling we will chase on ballers harder than small forwards, given our deficiencies

Who is to say a guy like Fisher, can't be a dangerous small forward, Cuners as well.

I don't have the same view as most, that small forwards are the priority

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back