Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

It’s gonna be interesting; if the technology gets good enough, would you make an original Luke Skywalker film set after ROTJ? Just hire an actor and slap Hamill’s face over him?

That said, given the reception to Solo, I don’t think there will be a young Luke Skywalker film. I mean, there’s even less potential than a young Solo.
Weird. A Luke movie between VI and VII would do gangbusters and would be entirely different in premise to an origin story.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Why is this a good thing? There are obviously some people that like both the OT and PT, for which this might make sense. But there is seemingly a larger number that don’t rate the PT and while we will always love Lucas for the OT, for us he hasn’t had a great movie since 1983 and clearly seemed to lose his touch. Consulting Lucas is a polite touch but no guarantee of better quality.

You don't rate The Last Crusade (1989)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Weird. A Luke movie between VI and VII would do gangbusters and would be entirely different in premise to an origin story.
Maybe wasn’t clear, I was making two different points. The first is whether they would use the tech to make ROTJ sequels, which would be a potential cash cow. But recasting and making a young Luke Skywalker (pre OT) makes no sense as his character is built on the premise he has lived a boring and uneventful life.

Maybe wasn’t clear, I was making two different points. The first is whether they would use the tech to make ROTJ sequels, which would be a potential cash cow. But recasting and making a young Luke Skywalker (pre OT) makes no sense as his character is built on the premise he has lived a boring and uneventful life.
Even weirder.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It is stupid they are even bothering to consult Lucas anyway. They buy the franchise, give his sequel treatments the thanks but no thanks, his mates are a bit unimpressed with Disney's efforts (ie James Cameron), so they get him back on set for some good but meaningless PR when they earlier wanted to put as much distance between him and them as possible.

What would be weird is thinking there’s any interest in what Luke did before ANH; a documentary on moisture farming?
Precisely. The fact you felt the need to bring it up is what I found weird. No one was suggesting it..?

three times. twice at the cinema on release date, and once when the dvd came out

Just curious - do you think your perception and enjoyment of it is heavily influenced by tertiary material and not your own critical analysis of it?

I've still only seen it once so I am absolutely mindful that that colours my perceptions, but I'm waiting for IX to come out to give it a fresh revisit.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just curious - do you think your perception and enjoyment of it is heavily influenced by tertiary material and not your own critical analysis of it?

I've still only seen it once so I am absolutely mindful that that colours my perceptions, but I'm waiting for IX to come out to give it a fresh revisit.
i put out my youtube review of it a day or two after release. i slammed it at the time for many of the things that eventually became popularized objections to it.

i put out my youtube review of it a day or two after release. i slammed it at the time for many of the things that eventually became popularized objections to it.
Not sure that's what I'm asking.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I recall hearing similar about episodes 1 and 2.

20 years later, still s**t.
Wouldn't have heard that from me; the fundamentals were bad, like the acting and the script. With TLJ, the fundamentals are sound, I think most of the objections come from how certain characters were portrayed and the fact that it went against a lot of people's hope and expectations. The themes of TLJ are excellent, the plot choices make sense even if they are unpopular right now. I can see this film getting a revisit from a lot of people, though much will depend on how it works in with Episode IX.

Wouldn't have heard that from me; the fundamentals were bad, like the acting and the script. With TLJ, the fundamentals are sound, I think most of the objections come from how certain characters were portrayed and the fact that it went against a lot of people's hope and expectations. The themes of TLJ are excellent, the plot choices make sense even if they are unpopular right now. I can see this film getting a revisit from a lot of people, though much will depend on how it works in with Episode IX.
Splitting up the core trio of characters and having one of the three subplots literally made redundant mean I can't agree.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Splitting up the core trio of characters and having one of the three subplots literally made redundant mean I can't agree.
Not that the success of one implies the success of the other, but ROTJ also split up the core characters into three and it worked great (and ESB split them into two). It's not a factor at all in my opinion of the film, only whether the story worked, which it did for me.

Not that the success of one implies the success of the other, but ROTJ also split up the core characters into three and it worked great (and ESB split them into two). It's not a factor at all in my opinion of the film, only whether the story worked, which it did for me.
When does rotj split them into three?

Back