• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pappagallo do you think we beat Richmond at home, Brisbane away and GWS at home if we don't have co-captains? Or have we been hamstrung this year because of other factors. That's what I'm getting at.

We sacrificed 149 years of tradition to appoint co-captains. Considering the damage that decision has done to our brand, we might be entitled to expect better results from it than 'ah well, didn't make us any worse!'

Exactly. I don't think it has any effect on field and has always been about aesthetics and tradition. Saying they'll make us more successful is just as foolish as saying they're having a negative effect on field.

So it begs the question, why make it hard for yourselves by making an unpopular decision that will yield no benefits?

As Macca pointed out earlier there’s a lot more to Ollie’s situation but I think this put him (and Jonas) on the back foot. Zero sum is below the expectation that was set when this was being sold and every subsequent indiscretion has been judged in a harsher light.

Will give us something good to package up and give to Gold Coast for Luko.

I’m no longer invested emotionally in this group the way I once was, bar Trav, Robbie, and maybe Hamish.
I am actually more invested in the kids than the senior players. The most senior players that I am invested in is DBJ. Other than that the older players have let me down too many times.

Where has the rumour come from?
I wouldn't be surprised if its true.

Post 3,708 is where this came from.

Just a poster who is believed to have inside info with the reputation of being correct much more often than not.

People take his info seriously.

I had heard rumours myself last week but thought that was just ridiculous theory based on that ken said he would have to come back through the SANFL and Ollie was upset about it.

But we heard similar rumours about Wingard in like round 5 last year that nobody took seriously until it happened.

So it begs the question, why make it hard for yourselves by making an unpopular decision that will yield no benefits?

As Macca pointed out earlier there’s a lot more to Ollie’s situation but I think this put him (and Jonas) on the back foot. Zero sum is below the expectation that was set when this was being sold and every subsequent indiscretion has been judged in a harsher light.

It was the wrong decision, I'm not trying to justify it even though it doesn't really bother me too much. If enough people take issue with it then fair enough.

How this back and forth started though was by me saying that the players being "set up to fai" was not a fair statement, because the failure in this case is how the members respond to them. If the club isn't successful on field (for a number of different reasons) then Ollie and Tom shouldn't be made to feel solely responsible and have their characters attacked. You can't be hostile towards them and then say "Well what did they expect? Ken made me do this!"

It was the wrong decision, I'm not trying to justify it even though it doesn't really bother me too much. If enough people take issue with it then fair enough.

How this back and forth started though was by me saying that the players being "set up to fai" was not a fair statement, because the failure in this case is how the members respond to them. If the club isn't successful on field (for a number of different reasons) then Ollie and Tom shouldn't be made to feel solely responsible and have their characters attacked. You can't be hostile towards them and then say "Well what did they expect? Ken made me do this!"

It's human nature. It might not be fair, but it's predictable. If Ken knew the first thing about Port Adelaide and it's members, he should've been able to predict it. He either didn't know or didn't care what the response would be, he made his decision, and now a few months later both of his co-captains have had their worst season in a long time and one of them apparently wants out.

I agree that they’re not solely to blame (and I don’t think anyone is laying it exclusively at their feet), but they are not to be completely absolved from it either. They were complicit in the decision.

It's human nature. It might not be fair, but it's predictable. If Ken knew the first thing about Port Adelaide and it's members, he should've been able to predict it. He either didn't know or didn't care what the response would be, he made his decision, and now a few months later both of his co-captains have had their worst season in a long time and one of them apparently wants out.

Yeah, but we're not worse off.

Narrator: They were.

I am scrolling through this thread at the rate of knots so can't requote whoever said it but anyone who thinks that Ollie has suffered abuse or a hard deal from here needs to calm down and have a rethink and consider the deal that players like Bonner, Pittard, and even Sutcliffe to some extent have endured and realise that by comparison Wines has been treated like a prince.

Ollie has been treated very well considering his decision to ruin this season with his shoulder injury. Nah he wouldn't be complaining about his treatment. I doubt he is that big of a sook.

Piss poor Ollie but I'm over it..
Now if it was Rozee wanting out I would be curled up in the foetal position.

Rozee won't be going anywhere. Pretty sure he just bought a house (or is in the process of such) not far from his parents around Oakden way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am scrolling through this thread at the rate of knots so can't requote whoever said it but anyone who thinks that Ollie has suffered abuse or a hard deal from here needs to calm down and have a rethink and consider the deal that players like Bonner, Pittard, and even Sutcliffe to some extent have endured and realise that by comparison Wines has been treated like a prince.

Ollie has been treated very well considering his decision to ruin this season with his shoulder injury. Nah he wouldn't be complaining about his treatment. I doubt he is that big of a sook.

Or Jasper Pittard. People have very short memories.

I wonder if my attachment to players is wearing off after last trade period.

Wingard leaves and I curled up in the fetal position.

Gutted that Polec left too but understood that it wasn't an ideal situation for the club to keep him longer than a few years.

Wines wants out and I'm like "Don't care, bring back the singular captain with No.1 jumper tradition!"

I think having the youngsters coming through this year with immediate results and even more potential has made it easier to let go of older players who aren't fulfilling theirs (if it comes to it with Ollie).

Depends on what your expectations are. Many wanted Boak to step down - he did and his form improved. Was that as a result of losing the captaincy? Who knows.
If we play finals this year, isn't that an improvement? Would it be because of the captaincy? Probably not.

You kidding? Boak inproved because he was played in position after 3 years playing HFF. Captaincy had zero to do with it. Boak should still be captain and would be had Hinkley not tried to re-invent him.

This is the crux of the matter. He knows very little about Port Adelaide if he thought this would just go through to the keeper. Hell hath no fury like a Port supporter scorned.

Seems very odd that if Ollie has just indicated he wants out that we would roll him out in front of the cameras today for a media interview.

i don't find that odd, we're perpetually behind the times, behind with everything, we're classic dinosaur South Australia, everyone in the country knows something and we roll out "ah yep haha don't listen to rumors". there's just nobody left who cares about Port Adelaide and where it was 20 years ago and where it'll be in 20 years, that's why we're so embarrassing and un-Port Adelaide. everyone is a temporary custodian of their job running around like idiots. Captain genetically gifted is an embodiment of that - groomed into Captaincy from game 1 in every way except actual grooming for anything to do with footy, just a bunch of people fawning over his body and how much he looks like a leader so they assumed he'd just "grow" into one.

That isn’t how Rucci will spin it if this all comes to pass. If Ollie decides to leave it will be on us.

That isn’t how Rucci will spin it if this all comes to pass. If Ollie decides to leave it will be on us.

Co-captaincy, it's a winner!

Back