Competitions Closest to the pin 2019 - Free Kick Differential version - Congratulations Shadowthorn with a correct guess of -34

Remove this Banner Ad

The filth are at +91

That's a 123 free kick difference over 21 rounds at a touch under 6/game

What a *** disgrace. I think that's 3 years in a row now where they've enjoyed that absurd bias.

"No bias" my ** arse.

I'm waiting for a coach to come out and say in their presser in a lead up to a game v Filth or WCE in Perth and say something like: "Yeah...we really respect Cwood...we know their strengths....they do this and that....and one of their strengths is they're consistently able to solicit a favourable free kick differential in most games ....so we've got to be on our toes in that respect and not give away too many frees."

Its a respectful non-fine way of highlighting how they seem to be umpired 'differently' and puts the umpires right on the back foot and under the spotlight.

What a *** disgrace. I think that's 3 years in a row now where they've enjoyed that absurd bias.

"No bias" my ** arse.

I'm waiting for a coach to come out and say in their presser in a lead up to a game v Filth or WCE in Perth and say something like: "Yeah...we really respect Cwood...we know their strengths....they do this and that....and one of their strengths is they're consistently able to solicit a favourable free kick differential in most games ....so we've got to be on our toes in that respect and not give away too many frees."

Its a respectful non-fine way of highlighting how they seem to be umpired 'differently' and puts the umpires right on the back foot and under the spotlight.
The absurd thing is.....that it's been happening for the 50 odd years I've been watching football. They have always been looked after by the umps during the year but come finals time, when the umps put the whistle away, they fall in a heap. Best thing is that their supporters don't realise or acknowledge the bias and sook and whinge when they get done in finals.....I'm sure we can remember the bleating that went on after last years 'choke'.

The absurd thing is.....that it's been happening for the 50 odd years I've been watching football. They have always been looked after by the umps during the year but come finals time, when the umps put the whistle away, they fall in a heap. Best thing is that their supporters don't realise or acknowledge the bias and sook and whinge when they get done in finals.....I'm sure we can remember the bleating that went on after last years 'choke'.
You're a bloody good judge and have a great memory. Collingwood's grand final appearances in my lifetime (since 1973) ...

1977 (1) v.'s North. Pies win free kick count 39-32
1977 (2) v.'s North. Pies win free kick count 39-32
1979 v.'s Carlton. Pies win free kick count 54-37. Yes, 54 free kicks. Bill Picken flopped around to get 7 FF, 0 FA.
1980 v.'s Richmond. Pies win free kick count 37-25.
1981 v.'s Carlton. Pies win free kick count 34-32. Bill Picken 5 FF, 0 FA
1990 v.'s Essendon. Pies lose free kick count 27-20
2002 v.'s Brisbane. Pies win free kick count 24-16
2003 v.'s Brisbane. Pies win free kick count 18-13
2010 (1) v.'s St Kilda. Pies win free kick count 17-14
2010 (2) v.'s St Kilda. Pies win free kick count 16-13
2011 v.'s Geelong. Pies win free kick count 21-18
2018 v.'s West Coast. Pies win free kick count 17-13

So, in conclusion, Pies have played in 12 GF's and won the free kick count in all bar 1. Overall 343 FF, 265 FA.

You're a bloody good judge and have a great memory. Collingwood's grand final appearances in my lifetime (since 1973) ...

1977 (1) v.'s North. Pies win free kick count 39-32
1977 (2) v.'s North. Pies win free kick count 39-32
1979 v.'s Carlton. Pies win free kick count 54-37. Yes, 54 free kicks. Bill Picken flopped around to get 7 FF, 0 FA.
1980 v.'s Richmond. Pies win free kick count 37-25.
1981 v.'s Carlton. Pies win free kick count 34-32. Bill Picken 5 FF, 0 FA
1990 v.'s Essendon. Pies lose free kick count 27-20
2002 v.'s Brisbane. Pies win free kick count 24-16
2003 v.'s Brisbane. Pies win free kick count 18-13
2010 (1) v.'s St Kilda. Pies win free kick count 17-14
2010 (2) v.'s St Kilda. Pies win free kick count 16-13
2011 v.'s Geelong. Pies win free kick count 21-18
2018 v.'s West Coast. Pies win free kick count 17-13

So, in conclusion, Pies have played in 12 GF's and won the free kick count in all bar 1. Overall 343 FF, 265 FA.
So how many of those games did you actually win?

Last edited:
we went at -4 yesterday vs the Lions.

I found an error in my count in this thread, so I have gone back over each game via the AFL website to double check all the figures, and the results are in.

This competition has come down to the wire.

Special mentions to the below who got very very close.

Dr Tigris who guessed -35
Rubber Hips who guessed -36

but the winner, who has somehow managed to pick the exact number is...

Shadowthorn who guessed -34

Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone for participating, we will go around again for season 2020 no doubt!

Awesome work Michaels and the moral of the story (after reading the Collingwood GF free kick counts ) is getting free kicks doesn’t actually win you games or premierships.
I prefer the way things are bubbling away as we can’t be accused of cheating and playing for frees and we win games without the umpires assistance. It was frustrating last week , but that was the worst umpired game I’ve ever seen and the only way was up.

we went at -4 yesterday vs the Lions.

I found an error in my count in this thread, so I have gone back over each game via the AFL website to double check all the figures, and the results are in.

This competition has come down to the wire.

Special mentions to the below who got very very close.

Dr Tigris who guessed -35
Rubber Hips who guessed -36

but the winner, who has somehow managed to pick the exact number is...

Shadowthorn who guessed -34

Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone for participating, we will go around again for season 2020 no doubt!

So I was right, we did get a good run with the umps this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back