List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t rate Wines?

He was better than nearly every Swan on the weekend and that was coming in as an emergency. Plus he’s only 24 - perfect age.

Doubt it’s true but wish it was.

Unless I'm mistaken, Ryan Griffen is only captain in a looooong time that's been traded and he requested it.

Smith only went off the boil shortly before his career ending injury. KJ was another issue.

Smith wa
Isn't this the same at most clubs though? I mean look at Roughead, contributed zero this year to hawks, scott selwood at geelong etc if you look at every side I'm pretty sure you'll find some players who are past it, yet at the time of contract offer/ extension they were still playing good football.

If these great players you mentioned were just cast aside or left for a better offer our depth would resemble gold coasts, a bunch of kids.

But we end up playing kids anyway with a bunch of guys on the injury list like this year

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Unless I'm mistaken, Ryan Griffen is only captain in a looooong time that's been traded and he requested it.
Steven May co captain at the Gold Coast requested trade last year.
Tom Lynch another co captain left via free agency.
I know Gold Coast not a great example.

Leigh Colbert in 99 was the only other one I could think of.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Smith wa

But we end up playing kids anyway with a bunch of guys on the injury list like this year
you cant predict injuries when you offer contracts, yes players naturally decline with age.

were you happy Bolton and Goodes were still swans players grandfinal day in 2012? Because under some peoples recruitment models they wouldn't have been playing that day.

you cant predict injuries when you offer contracts, yes players naturally decline with age.

were you happy Bolton and Goodes were still swans players grandfinal day in 2012? Because under some peoples recruitment models they wouldn't have been playing that day.

Well yes to both.

All things being equal - which they are not in this country - I'd still have Goodesy on our list on a handshake year to year contract.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Well yes to both.

All things being equal - which they are not in this country - I'd still have Goodesy on our list on a handshake year to year contract.
JPK is still a quality footballer but without the quality he once had around him.
Think there’s a bit too much bile being directed his way.
I’d hate to contemplate our current midfield without him.
Of course, I seemingly lost all credibility when I suggested Petracca might do well at the Swans.....

Yep I was happy though I don’t think Goodes especially would not have been there 2012 in any model

I’m not claiming it’s an exact science
Perhaps we haven’t been cautious enough of late

Maybe I’m just plain wrong and like Ted said there is a projection to future recruits

Maybe I’m also being selfish it’s a shame to see these guys limp out

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Gazoooks man. More likely Jones for Petracca and their second. Petracca is close to a bust.
I'd argue that a straight swap would be fair. Check out their Supercoach stats. If anything Jones is considered more valuable. They are very similar value as are their stats and age.

Personally, I would prefer Oliver, but he is their best mid so probably unlikely.

I'd argue that a straight swap would be fair. Check out their Supercoach stats. If anything Jones is considered more valuable. They are very similar value as are their stats and age.

Personally, I would prefer Oliver, but he is their best mid so probably unlikely.

Agree about Oliver. Petracca lacks stamina for their game. He could not cope with our Grand old Duke of York game plan of running back and forward.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Goodes the exception there. A GOAT and arguably our BOG in his last ever match.
Goodes was terrible in his last year and we lost Membrey as a result. We could really do with him now. Goodesy really should have finished the season prior. A players history should be irrelevant. I agree with the others too, but at least we didn't lose any youngsters as a result by them playing one year too many.

Goodes was terrible in his last year and we lost Membrey as a result. We could really do with him now. Goodesy really should have finished the season prior. A players history should be irrelevant.

I respectfully disagree with this. He was not terrible, tho his situation was.

I would back Dawson as a far superior player (already) to Tim Membrey.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
No I just want the club to be a bit more wary going forward about longer deals for older players- be a bit more ruthless

not saying they were stupid calls- some were odd, mostly bad luck with a few

Just if a guy is 29 or older be careful thats all im suggesting
The final contract offer to Jack was ridiculous. From memory, Gold Coast were chasing him at the time which probably motivated us to give him a longer contract than we should have. He's been in terrible form for at least two seasons.

Goodes was terrible in his last year and we lost Membrey as a result. We could really do with him now. Goodesy really should have finished the season prior. A players history should be irrelevant. I agree with the others too, but at least we didn't lose any youngsters as a result by them playing one year too many.

WTF

Goodes was not terrible at all. He was our best player in the 2015 finals series, and could’ve gone another year still were it not for the circumstances of his departure. He was providing more running power and class around goals than anyone else in the team.

Membrey is a pretender.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
To be honest we were going decently in the top 4 for most of last year. Then after the infamous Gold Coast game we hit a brick wall and the cracks started to show. We were basically never the same again. This season was the continual decline from the second half of last season. 0-6 to making the finals papered over a lot of the cracks and it was only a matter of time. Perhaps Beatson and co believed in our old core too much because of all of this.

JPK is still a quality footballer but without the quality he once had around him.
Of course, I seemingly lost all credibility when I suggested Petracca might do well at the Swans.....

This whole “quality around them” business is nonsense IMO. Kennedy in play is just lacking awareness and not making smart decisions. That has nothing to do with who is around him, but an age-old sign that a player is losing their touch.

Ditto Parker. They are still getting their hands on it plenty, just not doing enough of the right things with it. That’s on them, not on the guys around them.

Petracca has huge potential upside if he finds his way to a club with a professional, winning culture.
Feels like he could be obtained at unders.

No knock on his ability, but more on his fitness and stamina.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This whole “quality around them” business is nonsense IMO. Kennedy in play is just lacking awareness and not making smart decisions. That has nothing to do with who is around him, but an age-old sign that a player is losing their touch.

Ditto Parker. They are still getting their hands on it plenty, just not doing enough of the right things with it. That’s on them, not on the guys around them.

Where do you come up with this s**t? You speak it with great authority, but it is s**t.

WTF

Goodes was not terrible at all. He was our best player in the 2015 finals series, and could’ve gone another year still were it not for the circumstances of his departure. He was providing more running power and class around goals than anyone else in the team.

Membrey is a pretender.

Membrey is no Adam Goodes (who is) but he is a good player

well goodish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back