Was Gil out of line? Does he know what he's doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most of us hope that players stay at the original clubs (unless they are coming to the club we support).
I don't see the big deal to be honest.

I think most of us hope that players stay at the original clubs (unless they are coming to the club we support).
Some folks get "overreaction boners".

When anything happens, the more they overreact to it, the harder they get.

I mean lets be honest: its a business. Its what it is, its what it has to be in order to survive. We dont have to like it or accept it but it is. Someone asked Gil what he thought, he said he would prefer Cog stayed where he was.

Are you suggesting hes going to threaten GWS with a worse fixture than their ladder position would give them if they DONT let Cogs walk?

Im purely looking at this from a logical standpoint. Clubs losing good players normally means they suffer because of it. Sometimes it goes the other way, its a gamble like most things.

The only way to avoid this situation in future is to have AFLs CEOs put into Media Blackholes and let them have absolutely no outside presence, like, say, a CEO of a big company.

What he should have said is something like: "That's a decision for Stephen and his management."

Bias. conflict of interest etc is all about PERCEPTION.

Now there's a strong perception that Gil is biased towards GWS so any decisions that are made that may favour them, even if entirely innocent, will be seen as flawed.

And yes it is a business, and it always has been, but should the integrity of the competition be sacrificed to increase the bottom line?

Well he said the Swans can’t have everyone when we were slapped with a trade ban for abiding by the AFL rules.

He’s also part of the mismanagement of the Bombers peptides disaster. How he got the top job is a miracle.

This is one of the key examples of how the AFL makes stuff up as they along to meet the objective of the time then when another competing priority comes along they make more stuff up to deal with that and it is just an endless cycle of unintended consequences.

When customers think their opinion on what decisions a private company should make is more important than that of the CEO of that company :rolleyes:.

When customers think their opinion on what decisions a private company should make is more important than that of the CEO of that company :rolleyes:.

The AFL isn't a private company.

We're not customers.

Gil's predecessor Demetriou tended to be a bit more demonstrative at times, which divided some people yet it showed some level of strong, robust leadership (at least on the outside).
Gil appears on the outside very mild and vanilla which is quite the opposite. He doesn't come out and make a stand until problems fester and there is heavy media outcry. The best example would be when the behaviour awareness officers were in circulation earlier this year. He only held a press-conference after the uproar, rather than taking initiative and making a stand against untoward behaviour initially.

If you labour under the delusion the AFL is an independent organisation dedicated to managing the elite Australian Football competition in this country on a basis of integrity of fairness, then yes, it is inappropriate.

If you've accepted the AFL is a Sports Entertainment business that exists fundamentally to raise revenue, then no, the blatant interference like this shouldn't surprise you at all, and isn't at all wrong, because GWS do need to keep Cogs in order to maximise the AFLs ROI.

I accepted long ago that the AFL is pure money generating entertainment from head office and pure entertainment for any sane fan. Gil should change the name from AFL to AFE like Vince McMahon did from WWF to WWE.

It's all entertainment folks.

Imagine if he had done this in respect of Lynch last year? Try to see what precedent it sets if the Commissioner is mouthing off on player movements? Erodes the confidence of teams to get deals done.

I remember when the NBA commissioner vetoed a fking trade for league balance. Stopped CP3 from going to Lakers. We dont want to go down that road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Blues weren’t after him would you care?

We’re not and I don’t care.

What if he came out and said "I would like to see Tim Kelly go to GWS/GCS next year. I really think that would be a good idea."
And you know there was some black ops "ambassadorial" $$$ waiting in the wings somewhere?

Still not caring?

I accepted long ago that the AFL is pure money generating entertainment from head office and pure entertainment for any sane fan. Gil should change the name from AFL to AFE like Vince McMahon did from WWF to WWE.

It's all entertainment folks.

The problem is though that WWE is entertaining because you KNOW it is contrived bullshit

The AFL maintains the fiction that it is an honest sporting competition.

Seriously, if they admitted they just wanted revenue and narratives and ditched all the clubs and replaced them with AFLX type franchises I'd probably still watch just to see the skills on display.

But they are trying to have a bob each way and consequently losing both.

Imagine if he had done this in respect of Lynch last year? Try to see what precedent it sets if the Commissioner is mouthing off on player movements? Erodes the confidence of teams to get deals done.

I remember when the NBA commissioner vetoed a fking trade for league balance. Stopped CP3 from going to Lakers. We dont want to go down that road.

Gil almost certainly does.

His stance was clearly different. "Players leave clubs because of either personal issues, environmental issues, whatever reason people change... So if Tom Lynch goes to Richmond or goes wherever, in the end he’s made a decision about his career. Gold Coast through a mechanism will get rewarded (with a compensation draft pick)."

It's almost an acknowledgement that Gold Coast was a basket case so he didn't oppose players wanting out, but GWS is a success story and he doesn't want it compromised.

His stance was clearly different. "Players leave clubs because of either personal issues, environmental issues, whatever reason people change... So if Tom Lynch goes to Richmond or goes wherever, in the end he’s made a decision about his career. Gold Coast through a mechanism will get rewarded (with a compensation draft pick)."

It's almost an acknowledgement that Gold Coast was a basket case so he didn't oppose players wanting out, but GWS is a success story and he doesn't want it compromised.
Illogical

Wait, are we lining up to hang someone for having an opinion?

Doesnt matter his position, he thinks its best for Cog to stay at the Giants BUT he realises that there are methods in place for him to move elsewhere if the offer is right.

I mean, whats the mountain we are trying to build here?

Helps to see the context:
Wilson asked the league boss on 3AW if he’d be disappointed if Coniglio left the expansion club. “Yeah, I would,” McLachlan said. “Certainly my advice is that it’s not a given (that he’ll leave).

“I think he’s a star player and I know he’s a leader of the club. I know him a bit personally, I think he’s a fabulous person. I’ll be explicit — I’d love him to stay up there.”

On the News website.

He lacks foresight. Doesn't jump on issues quick enough. In this case, he somehow says this without considering the backlash. It isn't really that big an issue, of course he'd prefer GWS to keep its star. The AFL is all about $$$$ - no news there. It's more his stupidity on display to bring about such self inflicted heat.

Helps to see the context:
Wilson asked the league boss on 3AW if he’d be disappointed if Coniglio left the expansion club. “Yeah, I would,” McLachlan said. “Certainly my advice is that it’s not a given (that he’ll leave).

“I think he’s a star player and I know he’s a leader of the club. I know him a bit personally, I think he’s a fabulous person. I’ll be explicit — I’d love him to stay up there.”

On the News website.

That actually makes it worse you know.

The problem is though that WWE is entertaining because you KNOW it is contrived bulls**t

The AFL maintains the fiction that it is an honest sporting competition.

Seriously, if they admitted they just wanted revenue and narratives and ditched all the clubs and replaced them with AFLX type franchises I'd probably still watch just to see the skills on display.

But they are trying to have a bob each way and consequently losing both.

Oh, i agree. Wrestling had that "in between" era too.

Gil though should just get on with the re-naming to AFE. Nobody believes a "Competition" he runs is anything other than a negotiated, manipulated plaything to further his and others corporate interests.

Or he should just get off the pot and let someone like Gale maybe have a crack at getting the public to maintain faith that it is something of a competition that they are investing themselves in.

It's all in the sell.....as you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back