Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What garbage. How is he interfering?
He said what that he personally hopes he stays.
He has been pretty vocal on hoping players drafted stay at those clubs.

And it's nowhere near the constant stream of bias that the AFL media constantly spew trying to get all superstars to Victoria.
Gill might appear to want players to stay at their club but it’s usually because the players moving are new franchise club players. Afl house popped the Champaign when buddy decided to go to nsw.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Gill might appear to want players to stay at their club but it’s usually because the players moving are new franchise club players. Afl house popped the Champaign when buddy decided to go to nsw.
Lol So much so they trade banned the Swans.

Did they trade ban the Tigers when they got Lynch?

The AFL media is bad enough with Victorian bias but to now try and push this narrative is an even bigger joke

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
In all the years of the Bluemour thread never has there been 4 posters with proven track records come out in unison singing the same tune about 1 player and they aren't just saying we are a chance everyone of them has in their own way stated Coniglio to carlton is done. Most of them got the s**ts up with Bigfooty following the Shiel decision to join Essendon last year due to the backlash they got without ever locking him in so for them to go this hard it has to be a 99.99% lock IMO.

If it was just one of them maybe i'd buy your sell hope storyline, no way all of them are going to toilet their reputations for some false news.

wow. no need to hang your hat on this one, if it happens, it happens.

long way to go yet, still 40+ days till the sillier season begins.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
No one even knows anything... ITK posters yeah right they're just shooting darts. No Coach, Head Recruiter or Team Manager would leak anything, or if found out they could lose their job. It's apart of the contract anyone apart of the AFL
wrong on this one
- agents leak like crazy to get better deals
- players leak because they're human
- teams leak to gain advantage in negotiations and/or block other clubs

leaking is just a different form of PR, sometimes it's tactical, sometimes strategic, sometimes it's informational (how would the fans react if we do X). Sometimes leaking is just people having a gossip then it gets out.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn

And it's nowhere near the constant stream of bias that the AFL media constantly spew trying to get all superstars to Victoria.

Mate, he is the CEO of the AFL. He needs to remain neutral on player movement, at least publically.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM

I'm not the only voice wishing AFL House would be a touch more balanced in its approach to clubs mate.

Plus, I did mention in my spiel that, if I were a GWS supporter, I too would be 100% behind Gil in this case due to self-interest. However, I don't think this is a good precedent to set. It's a slippery slope. I'd prefer the AFL stay out of intra-club dealings, unless of course it strays into breaking rules like salary cap breaches, trade infringements and so on.

Generally, the best sporting bodies remain neutral so there is no inferred bias and clubs can operate confidently knowing they wont get shafted by the body that holds all the power. I refer to the IOC as a good example, especially when contrasted with the non-independent body it was before all the reforms.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
I doubt Gil's comments will have any impact on Coniglio's decision, but it is 100% a conflict of interest for him to make a call like that.

He needs to be more vague and say things like I love it when players play out their whole career at one club or something along those lines.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I doubt Gil's comments will have any impact on Coniglio's decision, but it is 100% a conflict of interest for him to make a call like that.

He needs to be more vague and say things like I love it when players play out their whole career at one club or something along those lines.
Agree with that.

I don't mind the sentiment of the statement regarding "one-club players" in all teams, but I wish he'd worded it a lot better.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not the only voice wishing AFL House would be a touch more balanced in its approach to clubs mate.

Plus, I did mention in my spiel that, if I were a GWS supporter, I too would be 100% behind Gil in this case due to self-interest. However, I don't think this is a good precedent to set. It's a slippery slope. I'd prefer the AFL stay out of intra-club dealings, unless of course it strays into breaking rules like salary cap breaches, trade infringements and so on.

Generally, the best sporting bodies remain neutral so there is no inferred bias and clubs can operate confidently knowing they wont get shafted by the body that holds all the power. I refer to the IOC as a good example, especially when contrasted with the non-independent body it was before all the reforms.

I would love it of they were balanced. It would benefit the competition so much more.

But it won't. The media will push their barrow ad always.

Though amused a Pies coach would be arguing for it considering everything.

Could he have worded it better? Yes. But has he always been about 1 club players? Yes.

Percy2257

The Urgio to be Sergio
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with that.

I don't mind the sentiment of the statement regarding "one-club players" in all teams, but I wish he'd worded it a lot better.
Let’s not overreact. You could argue that the AFL CEO is almost duty bound to encourage elite talent at the two expansion clubs to remain with them. However, you’d expect that in hardly any case he’d be successful in persuading someone who wants to leave to actually stay. Chill everyone.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Let’s not overreact. You could argue that the AFL CEO is almost duty bound to encourage elite talent at the two expansion clubs to remain with them. However, you’d expect that in hardly any case he’d be successful in persuading someone who wants to leave to actually stay. Chill everyone.
As a member of one of those expansion clubs, I don't want Gil to encourage anybody to stay. We've had enough advantages since our inception and deserve to be treated like everybody else.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unless it was Buddy where Mike Fitzpatrick came out and said the AFL were very disappointed he went to Sydney not GWS.

Well Fitzy got his revenge by imposing that trade ban on The Swans for a couple of years, which I think you can argue, probably cost Sydney another premiership !

Really that is the only reason I can think of banning The Swans from trading. The Jilted Lover scorned scenario.

If I were a Swans fan, I would probably still be livid about it.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

He really was appealing for Coniglio to stay.

The worry is, is it just words or would Gil take action to help ensure he stays?

Eg Would Gil call GWS CEO Matthews and try to convince him to step in and increase their offer/effort to Coniglio? Would he increase Coniglio's 'ambassador' role pay, with a wink/nudge that it's only valid if he stays at GWS?

Wouldn't put it past Gil to do any of these things to try to influence the outcome.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
He really was appealing for Coniglio to stay.

The worry is, is it just words or would Gil take action to help ensure he stays?

Eg Would Gil call GWS CEO Matthews and try to convince him to step in and increase their offer/effort to Coniglio? Would he increase Coniglio's 'ambassador' role pay, with a wink/nudge that it's only valid if he stays at GWS?

Wouldn't put it past Gil to do any of these things to try to influence the outcome.
Hope he does. Considering the 3rd party payments available to clubs in the heartland.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
IMO I couldn't care less if Hawks land Cogs or not. Graham Wright always manages to pull something out of the fire come trade day (just ignore that one year with Vickery), so we'll be right.

What I am bloody concerned about though is Gil and AFL House actively interfering in open-market player trades, and if rumours are to be believed, providing additional incentives outside the trade cap. Whilst I doubt GWS have many issues with this approach, I wouldn't in their situation, I do think this sets a dangerous precedent. I am again pretty disappointed that all AFL media have largely overlooked the issues/implications of a non-impartial AFL House and just seem to be carrying on as business as normal.

It's hard enough to manage AFL lists these days, without the need for Gil and his gremlins to put each of their fingers into every trade pie that they consider "beneficial" to their interests.

I'll stop my tangent now and let the bickering recommence.

EDIT: The key article in question...

Throw in another edit mate because you can’t mention Vickery without mentioning O’Rourke.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I don't. It's up to us to create opportunities and third party deals similar to that of our Victorian counter-parts, not rely on the AFL's help to get there.
Yet it's ok for those clubs down south to pull out the brown paper bags and use the scores of opportunities available to them for 3rd party?

Nah. I say get the money any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back