Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe a club would do this with 2 weeks left in the season. Unless its a novel way to tank, surely it's best to do these things at the appropriate time post season.

What could they possibly gain for going 2-3 weeks early??
Their season ended 10 weeks ago.

Reading this thread is not good for your health.

I don't know how many times I've been happy to hear some good news from ITK's to then feeling like we have lost out again on a gun FA when you read some ominous stuff. Then it flips again the next day and next day. It's like a game of pingpong with my mind. 50 more days....geez

Let's hope that Carlton are doing this because they have a "Crouch" type and not Cogs. I still hold faith and belief.

All aboard the Rollercogster…
source.gif

*WARNING* this rollercoaster will run continuously for the next 50 days so if you can't handle ups and downs then get the * off now cause she's gonna be one hell of a bumpy ass ride that is not meant for everyone.

I can't believe a club would do this with 2 weeks left in the season. Unless its a novel way to tank, surely it's best to do these things at the appropriate time post season.

What could they possibly gain for going 2-3 weeks early??
Once again a club like Carlton who have sucked for sooooo long do these kind of things because it provides the false illusion to their fans that something is being done. It's why every year they have a new slogan like 'we are coming' either though they aren't doing anything. Maybe if they were serious for once their next slogan could be 'actions speak louder than words' but that would mean they we're actually doing something :)

Assuming Cogs has told us to GAGF there were whispers around Whitfield.

Gil will kidnap Lachie & hold him in a basement until round 1 next year - no way he lets Cogs & Whitfield go in the same off season.

Then there is Brad Hill. Do we up the price with leftover Cogs money or stay firm at 600-700k?

Image result for rollercoaster reaction gif

If we do miss out on Coniglio I bloody hope he stays at GWS, at least it’ll make it easier for us to go hard for Whitfield as GWS will be back to feeling the salary cap squeeze.

From what I've been hearing all year if we do miss out on Coniglio I'll be giving up on Free Agency. It'll mean 7 years of Free Agency and the only player of note we've nabbed is James Frawley. It'll be many wasted hours of thoughts on Lynch and Coniglio in the last 12 months, that'll just have to accept free agency isn't for the Hawthorn football club.

From what I've been hearing all year if we do miss out on Coniglio I'll be giving up on Free Agency. It'll mean 7 years of Free Agency and the only player of note we've nabbed is James Frawley. It'll be many wasted hours of thoughts on Lynch and Coniglio in the last 12 months, that'll just have to accept free agency isn't for the Hawthorn football club.
Until the first solid Lachie Whitfield whisper comes along & I'm right back in the slipstream baby

Agree though, we have chased hard but have not been able to land a bite.

Until the first solid Lachie Whitfield whisper comes along & I'm right back in the slipstream baby

Agree though, we have chased hard but have not been able to land a bite.

Yeah nah I wouldn't get sucked in next year, you'd just no come August the talk will be 1.5 mill per annum to the Saints or North or Gil corruption to get him to stay haha.

Absolutely spot on, I even feel GW needs a big fish... for all his done during trade week he is yet to get a big fish in free agency. Our footy club doesn’t mind paying overs for players and that plays into our ability to strike deals, but in regards to FA we have been largely a failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonathan Brown dislikes this.

Absolutely spot on, I even feel GW needs a big fish... for all his done during trade week he is yet to get a big fish in free agency. Our footy club doesn’t mind paying overs for players and that plays into our ability to strike deals, but in regards to FA we have been largely a failure.

Failure? How's that? There are more factors at play in managing free agency than just getting the player. You've got a salary cap to manage and other player considerations. The fact that other clubs value playing list management differently than does doesn't mean GW has failed. The Lakers pulled in LeBron (success!) but destroyed the team (failure!). So, do you rate that great FA or poor FA?

About 16-17 clubs a season fail to lure a star free agent. Where hawthorn identify a large number of trade targets and look to obtain player who will provide greater value to us than the current club and thus we acquire players via trade regularly. It’s a big pond and we often are the only potential destination for the target. Most clubs wouldn’t even be interested in players we target.

With free agents the situation is reversed. There is generally no more than 1 really high quality target. Everyone is aware of the target and almost everyone wants the player to some degree. It’s a much more competitive market and our strike rate isn’t ever going to be as high as it is with trades.

Failure? How's that? There are more factors at play in managing free agency than just getting the player. You've got a salary cap to manage and other player considerations. The fact that other clubs value playing list management differently than does doesn't mean GW has failed. The Lakers pulled in LeBron (success!) but destroyed the team (failure!). So, do you rate that great FA or poor FA?

Let's see how destroyed they're with LBJ and Davis, I'm tipping it'll be considered a success. Proof will be in the pudding for us in the next 3-4 years, if we fail to land any key free agents but still find a way to win a Premiership I'll say fair play.

You know I might actually be a little worried if it was Cripps being announced to have resigned to an extension similar to what Tom Mitchell did 2 weeks ago but oh no its just Daisy being told that he won't be offered a new deal so hardly anything to fret about. The Daisy announcement is similar to us saying we won't be offering Schoenmakers another year.

Daisy has been playing some of the best footy of his Carlton career at present, it's a lot different to Schoenmakers.

If our strategy is to avoid the draft and continue with the mid level top ups and value-picks (which I'm right behind btw), then getting some major scalps in Free Agency has to be centre point to that strategy. There's no way of sugar coating it, missing out on Cogs would be a bitter disappointment to the overall strategy, particularly if it's true that there has been ongoing conversations for 3 years which appears to be the case.

Anyway, I don't want to jump the gun, there's a hell of a lot to play out.

I have been saying to one of our ITK for a while now this is one of the reasons why I'm confident we won't miss on Coniglio. It's not very often that Wright / Clarko fail at things and better than most they ALWAYS learn from their past failures. They more than anyone would know how important it is for us not not miss out this time and I back them both in 100% to get the job done this time.

Last edited:
I

If it's Don Scott not quite sure what he wants. Thanks for everything you have done for the club but time to move with the times. The club has won 4 premierships and built a fantastic culture since 1996, be happy were not a basket case. Bit sad really.
Mods feel free to delete/move if required

My Father knows Don pretty well , went to the same high school , same year level and always seem to cross paths every few years .

From what Dad has told me Don rarely talks footy and quickly changes topic if Dad brings it up
Far happier talking about his farm, horses had people from their high school.
Dad said he is a good fella with good heart but generally negative and always seems to have a chip on his shoulder .

Dad loves Clarko so bought him up when they last spoke a few years back , says Don was positive about Clarko and what he had done for the club which if anything was out of character for Don . But then quickly moved topic.

Not sure that really helps but that’s just how Don has always been .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back